• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I am still a rugby fanatic, in that I will watch Aviva etc even when I have no buy in, but the Australian Super games are just absolute rubbish in terms of quality and essentially unwatchable. I have to say the Boks kick and chase game around 2004-2007, and the English maul and forwards 10 man game before that was better than this shite because each took real skill and the execution was precise even if it drove me nuts I could appreciate the real skills. Nothing in the Australian Pro game can be appreciated, a good pass or solid carry is an aberration.

I too will shut of Fox I think, especially since I have 12 months until Game of Thrones.

10-man rugby can actually be fun when executed right (who doesn't love watching your scrum steamroll the opponents? It's all us reds fans have had the past 5 years). Reds during their win streak were getting it somewhat right

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This weekend I watched the Australian franchises lose every game. I was actually pleased with this outcome. That’s what disappointment and disillusionment can do to you.

Rugby Australia (formerly ARU) has shown itself as totally incapable of running our great game.
I honestly believe that RA has to be completely broken before it has a chance of moving forward and allowing our game to be rebuilt from the grass-roots up.

RA remind me of the type of cabal running African dictatorships. The leader and his hand-picked cronies live high of the hogg while the country descends into poverty and collapse. These sorts of cabals don't give up power, they have to either be blasted out by a revolution or are eventually forced out by complete collapse and bankruptcy.

This is unfortunately the situation in which rugby finds itself in Australia, and there seem to be no constitutional means for those out of the elite to make any change. The entrenched elite have put in place a process whereby board appointments go through an anonymous selection committee (much like the election commissions in African and Middle Eastern dictatorships), so that only nominees acceptable to those already there can proceed. In fact, it's not clear to most how a person goes about nominating. Similar processes exist at state level.

So, we're in the position where ordinary rugby people can't constitutionally affect change, the entrenched elite refuse to give up power (as evidences by the Phil Waugh appointment), so we're left to wait for cataclysmic collapse, bankruptcy and insolvency before anything can happen.

Meanwhile, former fans desert the game in droves. (less than 2 pages of posts on the Brumbies v Jaguares thread - I can't recall less posts on an Aussie super game. Either hardly anyone watched the game or those that did couldn't be bothered posting - I suspect the former)

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is unfortunately the situation in which rugby finds itself in Australia, and there seem to be no constitutional means for those out of the elite to make any change. The entrenched elite have put in place a process whereby board appointments go through an anonymous selection committee (much like the election commissions in African and Middle Eastern dictatorships), so that only nominees acceptable to those already there can proceed. In fact, it's not clear to most how a person goes about nominating. Similar processes exist at state level.
Reminds me of the situation in the Azerbaijani election (I think) where the main 'opposition' candidate voted for the incumbent because he couldn't find his own name on the ballot!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
so we're left to wait for cataclysmic collapse, bankruptcy and insolvency before anything can happen.
Don’t wait.
Do all you can to bring the show to an end - I have come to the view that this all any of us can do.
If we wait we delay the inevitable and lessen the chance of any recovery.
I realised this as I was watching the brumbies and began disloyally thinking of the good it might do if they lost, just as making the 2015 RWC final papered over the fundamental problems the brumbies winning might have hidden the true state of the game.
Yes, again, we failed to win a game this week but worse we lost 3 on home soil. In the week of Anzac. And Brad thorn laughed at the reds predicament.
We’ve crossed the rubicon.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Don’t wait.
Do all you can to bring the show to an end - I have come to the view that this all any of us can do.
I realised this as I was watching the brumbies and began disloyally thinking of the good it might do if they lost, just as making the 2015 RWC final papered over the fundamental problems the brumbies winning might have hidden the true state of the game.
Yes, again, we failed to win a game this week but worse we lost 3 on home soil. In the week of Anzac. And Brad thorn laughed at the reds predicament.

Let the die be cast.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The next likely marker of decline and horror: what awaits as Joe Schmidt’s exceptionally well-coached Ireland arrive here for a 3 go-round?

Will the lamentable excuses pulled out after England’s humiliating rout in 2016 require regurgitation all over again?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Don’t wait.

Might be time to go rouge. Form a rebel body and try and bring everyone over. Then petition WR (World Rugby) to boot this bunch of ingrates out as the recognised body.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Might be time to go rouge.

If international politics has taught us anything it is that any revolution in this day and age needs a colour. Is it rouge? What about the turquoise revolution? Its a bastard to spell for mass confusion and also matches one of the colours (i think) of that hideous RA rebranding, so noone will suspect anything till its too late.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
If international politics has taught us anything it is that any revolution in this day and age needs a colour. Is it rouge? What about the turquoise revolution? Its a bastard to spell for mass confusion and also matches one of the colours (i think) of that hideous RA rebranding, so noone will suspect anything till its too late.

Sea of Blue is not a bad start.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The next likely marker of decline and horror: what awaits as Joe Schmidt’s exceptionally well-coached Ireland arrive here for a 3 go-round?

Will the lamentable excuses pulled out after England’s humiliating rout in 2016 require regurgitation all over again?

I'm sure they will, just as they were pulled out last year after the Scotland loss (whose BIL players were unavailable). You may recall the metaphoric dancing in the streets after scratchy wins against Fiji and Italy (as if the Scotland loss could be explained away as an aberation. Then we had the Barbarian game where a team thrown together 4 or 5 days before the match (coached by a 70 year old who RA reckon knows nothing about the game) had victory snatched from them by some dubious refereeing.

The we had the ritual AB floggings, followed by the November internationals - another flogging by England and then a mother of a hiding by Scotland. Explained away by the excuse that they were tired. (Even though touring NH teams who come here in June have all played much more rugby when they arrive).

The whole organisation is a heaving rancid nest of cronyism and jobs for the good old boys. No qualification needed other than being part of the network. That's how you appoint a Reds coach who failed everywhere but was mates with the board, or a Gen Blue coach who's never coached a team in his life or appoint Phil Waugh to the board and on it goes. Sadly even worthy candidates from a certain background are tarred with the same brush. Those who don't think the right way are purged - think back to the Link sacking as Waratah coach after taking them to the final to be replaced by a compliant Chris Hickey.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Just a few points.........

Then we had the Barbarian game where a team thrown together 4 or 5 days before the match (coached by a 70 year old who RA reckon knows nothing about the game) had victory snatched from them by some dubious refereeing.

I don't recall any dubious refereeing, but that 70 year old know-nothing loudmouth did have a serious bitch about some decisions which may have appeared harsh in an exhibition game, but were fair and to the law.

The we had the ritual AB floggings

You might want to go back and check those results again..........

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Shit. I swear I typed rogue on my phone.