• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They were at the mid point in the broadcasting agreement.
SANZAAR asked for volunteers to cut a team,Billy P volunteered.
No one made him.
He thought it would be cheaper for the ARU with one team less.
He was wrong
Again

And it's working so well. I hear that the Waratahs went down 29-0 this evening.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
They were at the mid point in the broadcasting agreement.
SANZAAR asked for volunteers to cut a team,Billy P volunteered.
No one made him.
He thought it would be cheaper for the ARU with one team less.
He was wrong
Again

And let's not forget that it was Billy P who championed Super 18 and said that it would be the saviour of rugby in Australia.

"It's likely to be a four-conference model and this will be finalised in the next couple of weeks to be announced," Pulver said.
While the ARU chief executive is supporting SANZAR's in-principle expansion plans, they're unlikely to be applauded by his provincial counterparts.
Pulver has been under pressure from the franchises and the players' association to pull Australia out of South Africa-driven plans to increase Super Rugby from 15 teams to 17 or 18.
Pulver said he understood the concerns but backed the proposed changes as the best model to improve the competition and importantly boost broadcasting revenue.
"I'm more than happy to go along with it," he said. "I think it will be a terrific structure for the game."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...per-rugby-expansion-plans-20140430-zr1xu.html

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Very revealing that the appalling ethical and business judgement conduct of the upper elites of the major banks etc is emanating from the very echelons and types that the ARU and State RUs have salivated to source for their boards and Chairman roles. Just look at the ARU history in this area, the recent history of the QRU's Chair and ditto that of the NSW RU's Chair.

And we see what these elite bodies have over-sighted and perpetuated: the vast array of repeated managerial errors, poor organisational cultures, the serious absence of credible general code and Super strategies, woefully inadequate investment in skills development and coaching, excessive focus upon elite playing ranks, deep incestuousness of MO and nepotistic boys club recruitment biases, multiple forms of dishonesty and condescension to stakeholders, especially fans and club supporters.......

...... the coming crisis is now almost palpably near, isn’t it? Like the humid darkness just before a massive thunderstorm, you know what’s about to hit the home porch, it's just a matter of judging when to come in and put the shutters up.

I can’t wait as I know it’s inevitable (well, I've said that here for 5 or more years now) and, more importantly, the only realistic pathway to betterment. Australian rugby cannot cure itself, others must come in to do it, and they will.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
No the terms of reference have been strictly limited so historical investigations will not occur excepting some victim evidence. Don't want Malcom having to give evidence from his time at Macquarie now do we.

Yeah, even if he was called he would have some patsy to take the fall for him, like pulver.
IMO he is very cunning, seems very careful not to put his name to or on anything from emails to texts or deal directly with anyone not in the purple circle like lawyers etc.
I bet he only communicates with a lot of his cronies by voice, his word against theirs.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No the terms of reference have been strictly limited so historical investigations will not occur excepting some victim evidence. Don't want Malcom having to give evidence from his time at Macquarie now do we.

I suspect that this Royal Commission will be extended like the child abuse one was.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I suspect that this Royal Commission will be extended like the child abuse one was.

I doubt it very much. Remember when the Child abuse allegations started to come out at the Wood Royal Commission in NSW - I most certainly do and I remember clearly how that avenue of enquiry was shut down just after Yeldham.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I doubt it very much. Remember when the Child abuse allegations started to come out at the Wood Royal Commission in NSW - I most certainly do and I remember clearly how that avenue of enquiry was shut down just after Yeldham.
Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by yeldham?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

I'm talking about the one which was instituted by Julia Gillard to report at the end of 2015 by extended by Tony Abbott because of the mountain of issues uncovered.

NOW THEREFORE We do, by these Our Letters Patent issued in Our name by Our Governor-General of the Commonwealth of Australia on the advice of the Federal Executive Council and under the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Australia, the Royal Commissions Act 1902 and every other enabling power, amend the Letters Patent issued to you by omitting from subparagraph (p)(i) of the Letters Patent “31 December 2015” and substituting “15 December 2017.”
https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/terms-reference

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I know QH, I doubt it though. There was far too much pressure and too many things were coming out to be supressed for that RC not to go ahead and then not to be extended.

This one has been strictly limited and neither side of politics will want it to go on. This may appear off topic, but consider the behaviour in Australian Rugby over the past 10 years. Flowers and the ARC loses shit loads of cash, JON MKII throws that bad investment in the fire and burns what little remained of it. Then takes a nice golden handshake with non-disclosure and no truth clause thrown in. Brumbies sell some Real Estate with some nice re-zoning and tax breaks thrown in, whistle blower CEO needs to be paid out very large amounts of cash to shut up and investigations into this matter just go away. Reds, Tahs and Brumbies can't look outside of the clubhouse to find a coach or a executive of any kind and obscene amounts of cash is burnt. Mowen takes a stand against some poor behaviour and walks away from Australian Rugby the first Australian Captain to leave in such a fashion. Beale sends some SMS's and Mackenzie resigns and the ARU pays out more cash to an ex-employee not once but twice and Beale plays on. Hunts does some lines gets forgiven and decides to hang out in the Valley where we all know that bags and bags of blow are left lying around on the ground all the time and is forgiven again. The ARU-Force-Rebels-Twiggy saga continues squandering literally millions with very serious questions about basic ethics.

Now the massively anti-gay tweets of a twit (despite being the fundamental tenants of the religion for a few years now) caught the ARU off guard and there were meetings that had people being misrepresented and basically saying I'll say what I like if you don't like it I'll leave if you say the word and the ARU saying FFS no don't go........

And to top it off did the ARU even make basic enquiries before "Stability" Castle was employed or was she employed as a "token" female to curry favour and because those involved could control the situation and all would continue business as usual and no unwanted skeletons would be exposed. Thus the famous "Stability" statement on the first speech.

The comparisons with the Banks is very very apt indeed. The culture is rotten to the core.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The results this weekend and the manner in which they came suggest the fat lady is warming up. One province having a bad day would be accepted but the regularity of bad days across the board are unsustainable.

Accepted by whom, exactly? Who is the judge and jury?