• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
With all that noted: do you think the P&L for the day got even close to breaking even?

Twiggy may be a great businessman, but he's up to his ears in government subsidies while doing it.

Now, don't get me wrong: I'm fucking appalled that all these old school ties, who supposedly have the best educations money can buy, can't run something as simple as a rugby club.

But Twiggy isn't the saviour until he's proven otherwise; until he's able to address the problems at the lowest levels of rugby, rather than just putting on a flashy show for a disenfranchised and quite angry population.

After all: he doesn't get a government subsidy for the Hate Fuel powering WA rugby fans right now.
This x 1000.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
And from the outside Wamb, you are sure that "Twiggy needs to listen to some dissenting voices"? What do you base that observation on if not just from how it appears to you, as appearances are what I base my comments on as well.

Based on 15 years living and working in Asia, mate. That was a reality, not "appearances". If he has been advised that Asia is a fertile breeding ground for a rugby competition, particularly one that runs in our winter, he has been misled.

A couple of random observations. Firstly, the problem of being in a different hemisphere, their winter is our summer and vice versa. Playing in Hong Kong, for example, in the months between May and September would be bloody awful.

Secondly, the only country which has a cadre of professional rugby players is Japan. Starting from scratch can be done (look at the Melbourne Storm) but it takes a lot of money, expertise and talent. The Storm had Bellamy as coach, and he has turned out to be one of the best in the world, both codes. In terms of crowd support, it has taken a long time to build it up.

And if a franchise is parachuted into a new home, with a whole imported playing list, what sort of connection will it have with the local population? Particularly when rugby is not a popularly played or supported game?

I do not want to sound negative, but these are the sorts of questions that I hope are being asked and answered, which is what I mean about "dissenting advice).

If the guy is genuine about the game and its place here in Australia, I would hate to see him throw a bundle at an unachievable objective, and then pack his bags and walk away.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
How bout mixing a team manager game with an actual team..then I could coach the brumbies buy sell players and run a proper backline move..unlike the current coach we have...might even make them spend the rest of the learning how to catch kick and pass..

Although theres probably way too many issues with that..

Suppose we could have that virtual then at the end of the season the winner can go into a coaching draft..at least then they can push rules and rugby coaching tactics to young coaches..

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
And, right now, I think he'd be throwing a bigger bundle at RA and supporting the Super competition if he went that way than he is likely (and apparently, willing) to throw at rugby in the proposed RWC.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How bout mixing a team manager game with an actual team..then I could coach the brumbies buy sell players and run a proper backline move..unlike the current coach we have.might even make them spend the rest of the learning how to catch kick and pass..

Although theres probably way too many issues with that..

Suppose we could have that virtual then at the end of the season the winner can go into a coaching draft..at least then they can push rules and rugby coaching tactics to young coaches..

That's novel and far too left field to be spoken about in Australia. You are a f%$#%ing radical.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just to put it into context though - Channel Seven doesn't pay Twiggy for WSR, whereas Foxtel pay squillions for Super Rugby etc. which provides the funds to pay the players.

Hypothetically, Super Rugby could just as easily be on FTA but the money wouldn't be there.

So Slim - another example of your assumptions presented as fact.
Do you actually know the arrangements between Channel 7 and World Series Rugby?

Kerry Stokes was one of the first people to stand up with Andrew Forrest when the Western Force was axed in August last year.
I'm prepared to admit that I don't know the arrangements but I'm fairly confident that Channel 7 could be considered as a sponsor and the deal is very supportive of WSR.

Very little of the Foxtel $$s actually comes from Australia - it's mostly $$s from distributing the games through World Sports networks. In this regard Australia is just the "mouse that roared".

Looks like WSR is getting the best of both worlds with www streaming to follow to give "free" coverage to the Asia-Pacific region and reach out to an entirely new demographic for rugby.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Looks like WSR is getting the best of both worlds with www streaming to follow to give "free" coverage to the Asia-Pacific region and reach out to an entirely new demographic for rugby.

In the places in Asia that I visit, the EPL is hugely popular. Why? Because it is a great vehicle for betting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Slim - another example of your assumptions presented as fact.
Do you actually know the arrangements between Channel 7 and World Series Rugby?

I actually do.......... firstly, it's not produced by Channel Seven.

They simply take the feed from the host broadcaster and slap their 7 bug on it.

Kerry Stokes was one of the first people to stand up with Andrew Forrest when the Western Force was axed in August last year.

As a public figure, yes, but he's not involved in the process of getting this put to air on their network.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
EPL is not something to aspire to.

Wish it was within our reach. But I have vivid memories of being upcountry in Thailand, going to an outdoor restaurant for dinner, and there would always be a screen with an EPL game on, wherever the schedule permitted. And people were riveted to the screen. Soccer is a reasonably popular game in Thailand, but Muay Thai is also very popular (and of course is also a betting vehicle).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Wish it was within our reach. But I have vivid memories of being upcountry in Thailand, going to an outdoor restaurant for dinner, and there would always be a screen with an EPL game on, wherever the schedule permitted. And people were riveted to the screen. Soccer is a reasonably popular game in Thailand, but Muay Thai is also very popular (and of course is also a betting vehicle).
Yeah i've been to those Muay Thai comps. They have them throughout SE asia. Fun for a punt if you are that way inclined.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That's very interesting as it was actually produced by Channel 7 - not Fox - hence the different commentators.

No, it wasn't............

I don't want to keep banging on with this as it's fairly tiresome, but I can tell you as someone who works very closely to those involved that Channel Seven did not produce the broadcast - it was provided to them, and to Fox Sports, by the host broadcaster.

I don't know what kind of financial arrangement if any Fox Sports have with them, but in terms of broadcasting the content it's the same deal - the host broadcaster supplies them with the consortium feed and they put a Fox Sports watermark in the corner.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
No, it wasn't....

I don't want to keep banging on with this as it's fairly tiresome, but I can tell you as someone who works very closely to those involved that Channel Seven did not produce the broadcast - it was provided to them, and to Fox Sports, by the host broadcaster.

I don't know what kind of financial arrangement if any Fox Sports have with them, but in terms of broadcasting the content it's the same deal - the host broadcaster supplies them with the consortium feed and they put a Fox Sports watermark in the corner.
Who is that in this instance? Genuine interest. Is it twiggy productions, some third party they paid to package it up?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who is that in this instance? Genuine interest. Is it twiggy productions, some third party they paid to package it up?

I actually don’t know that part........... likely a third party contracted by Twiggy.

I’ll try to find out.

But the head of the company Twiggy has employed to look after the media for WSR and the Force was one of the sideline commentators, and MC at the ground.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
“Folau tweeted on Tuesday: with great love, I wanted to share this video in the hope that people watch it and think about it. Jesus is coming back soon and he wants us to turn to him through repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) please don’t harden your heart.”
So is he coming back to play or is he after a seat on the board?

S

sidelineview

“Folau tweeted on Tuesday: with great love, I wanted to share this video in the hope that people watch it and think about it. Jesus is coming back soon and he wants us to turn to him through repentance and baptism in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 2:38) please don’t harden your heart.”
So is he coming back to play or is he after a seat on the board?

He's coming back to scare the s**t out of you

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't want to be starting another Folau thread but the content of this Tweet along with the unrelated comment from Maria following it certainly does appear to be poking the bear..