• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Andy Friend is the new head coach at Connacht.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All the best to Friend. He’s the sort of bloke who could be building his own pathway, you know the coaching pathway that does not exist here.

Truly hope he gors well and perhaps we see him back in Aus st some point.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
All the best to Friend. He’s the sort of bloke who could be building his own pathway, you know the coaching pathway that does not exist here.

Truly hope he gors well and perhaps we see him back in Aus st some point.
Building his own pathway?

He's been coaching for over 20 years mostly in head coach roles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
What's the go with Raelene's get up?
f3b85427da8acd20f316890b1edb29ee.jpg

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk
Maybe she has joined a gang?

Or, maybe she has hired P. FitzSimons as her style consultant?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Raelene has an autoimmune disease which causes hair loss—alopecia—so she wears a headscarf and sometimes a hairpiece. With Peter Fitz it's male-pattern baldness.

It's an entirely different thing for a woman. You've gotta cut some slack and support her for that.

That's not to say I'm much of a fan of Castle as the CEO of Rugby Australia. She was hired for the wrong reasons on a weak CV. Apparently she's mates with Steve Tew, so that's something. That kind of "strategy", which has been ingrained in Australian rugby forever, is totally wrong for our game.

But it's down to the incompetent board, which is not fit for purpose. That "leadership" is going to drive us into the ground.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Peter Fitz it's male-pattern baldness.

I'd always thought it was because he was a dick.

That's not to say I'm much of a fan of Castle as the CEO of Rugby Australia. She was hired for the wrong reasons on a weak CV.

Surely her CV as a sporting administrator is far more impressive (i.e. she has some experience) than all our recent CEOs?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Surely her CV as a sporting administrator is far more impressive (i.e. she has some experience) than all our recent CEOs?
Nup. Bulldogs left in a mess -- for anyone to see last year. She found accountancy too hard, flunked it, and went into marketing. Castle is there to present a kinder face and patch up a few cracks. No shortage of them.

She might be good at palliative care …

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nup. Bulldogs left in a mess -- for anyone to see last year. She found accountancy too hard, flunked it, and went into marketing. Castle is there to present a kinder face and patch up a few cracks. No shortage of them.

She might be good at palliative care …

How much of the Bulldogs was down to her? Their salary cap issues are entirely down to the Chairman (Ray Dib) who is the one driving football related decisions at the club paying overs to sign Woods and Foran on huge deals and deciding Hasler had to go.

I think people overestimate how much the CEO drives the decision making relating to on field matters at sporting teams.

Prior to that she had been the CEO of Netball NZ.

What have been the sporting experience of O'Neill, Flowers and Pulver prior to being with RA?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How much of the Bulldogs was down to her?

Not all of it, sure.

But you can't have it both ways, trumpeting her "impressive" record when she was running a shitshow like that. Or are you suggesting Castle was a trumped-up personal assistant?

And Netball NZ would have had the turnover of a McDonald's franchise.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
How much of the Bulldogs was down to her? Their salary cap issues are entirely down to the Chairman (Ray Dib) who is the one driving football related decisions at the club paying overs to sign Woods and Foran on huge deals and deciding Hasler had to go.

I think people overestimate how much the CEO drives the decision making relating to on field matters at sporting teams.

Prior to that she had been the CEO of Netball NZ.

What have been the sporting experience of O'Neill, Flowers and Pulver prior to being with RA?
You can't claim that her position as CEO at the Bulldogs gives her good grounding for her role with RA,and at the same time claim that she's not responsible for their disastrous position as she effectively didn't perform that role there.

Edit: too slow.....yeah what Kiap says :)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not all of it, sure.

But you can't have it both ways, trumpeting her "impressive" record when she was running a shitshow like that. Or are you suggesting Castle was a trumped-up personal assistant?

And Netball NZ would have had the turnover of a McDonald's franchise.

You can't claim that her position as CEO at the Bulldogs gives her good grounding for her role with RA,and at the same time claim that she's not responsible for their disastrous position as she effectively didn't perform that role there.

My main point was in relation to actually having experience as a sporting administrator whereas the previous ones generally didn't. The most common complaints made regarding Pulver was his lack of experience in sport.

I think the CEO is generally there to run the business. I think it would be insanity thinking that the CEO hire should be the person deciding who are the most important players to re-sign, who the coach should be and even what the long term direction of the organisation should be.

Impressive was probably the wrong word to choose. What I should have said was relevant experience. Something previous hires haven't had.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Raelene has an autoimmune disease which causes hair loss—alopecia—so she wears a headscarf and sometimes a hairpiece.

Well, I didn't know that.

Explains her dress and appearance.

Although I do think she could try harder to avoid the Goth look.

Fair play to her to get to CEO of very big organisations given that condition.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I think it would be insanity thinking that the CEO hire should be the person deciding who are the most important players to re-sign, who the coach should be and even what the long term direction of the organisation should be.
Dude. The CEO is responsible for the financial performance.

If you genuinely don't agree with the direction/interference in doing a job, and purport yourself to be a business leader, you get another job.

When you knowingly stand by as the organisation is run onto the rocks (or perhaps can't even understand the metrics to know what's happening) then you're not much chop as a CEO.

Impressive was probably the wrong word to choose. What I should have said was relevant experience. Something previous hires haven't had.

Relevant? LOL

From your claims about the situation at the Bulldogs, perhaps you're suggesting she had the perfect relevant experience for the RA board:

Did what she was told and didn't rock the boat.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Dude. The CEO is responsible for the financial performance.

If you genuinely don't agree with the direction/interference in doing a job, and purport yourself to be a business leader, you get another job.

When you knowingly stand by as the organisation is run onto the rocks (or perhaps can't even understand the metrics to know what's happening) then you're not much chop as a CEO.

Relevant? LOL

From your claims about the situation at the Bulldogs, perhaps you're suggesting she had the perfect relevant experience for the RA board:

Did what she was told and didn't rock the boat.

Of course the CEO is responsible for the financial performance.

The Bulldogs announced the signing of Woods on the 28th of April, the signing of Foran on the 10th of May and then Castle resigned on the 25th of May. Maybe she followed your advice?

It seems to me that RA hired someone with experience as a sporting administrator. It seems that most of the more desirable sports administrators that people would prefer would demand at least twice the salary. I'd be happily pointed to the ones that are at more realistic salary levels for RA.

My overarching point here is that people have complained for years that RA hires people without relevant experience administering sports and then when they do hire someone with that experience they then complain about that.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Bulldogs announced the signing of Woods on the 28th of April, the signing of Foran on the 10th of May and then Castle resigned on the 25th of May. Maybe she followed your advice?
After, what, five years?

The Bulldogs made plenty of dumb signings well before that. Even under the most optimistic projections they were always going to bust the cap. Thankfully, that was all the doing of others, Castle only ticked the boxes.

The Greg Eastwood extension. Big back-ended contracts for stars like the Morris brothers and James Graham ($2.8m four-year deal) that hit the white elephant phase when the players were always going to decline with age and just when their pay ramped up.

No. This wasn't a case of "it all turned bad in the last couple months". But, hey, let's deflect where we can. Apply the teflon and shift the blame.

Castle was CEO and fully in charge of all the good stuff, but there was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!