• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yes, so much gold there. I did note that Vic thing in particular and also the letter going to the Prem grade clubs in Sydney and Brisbane first. It totally smacks of going back to the cosy arrangement of NSW and QLD running things and those other peasants can take the scraps. This needs to be a united front from all the state unions and the clubs they represent if we are to effect proper change in the code here.

Beautifully put. By the looks of the responses, this is something we are all generally united in. Which is good to see

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
One thing is for sure, we (the fans) cannot let this agenda get pushed favorably through their mates in the media. It represents little other than some self invested parties

Which is why I highly advise that everyone gears up and gets across to the Roar to comment accordingly when they cover this article.

The angry masses that they cater to are rightfully unhappy with the state of the game, but they typically think that any change is good change and that the person who speaks with the most anger is coming from a position of truth.

Don't let this shit stand. Papworth can fuck right off.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Which is why I highly advise that everyone gears up and gets across to the Roar to comment accordingly when they cover this article.

The angry masses that they cater to are rightfully unhappy with the state of the game, but they typically think that any change is good change and that the person who speaks with the most anger is coming from a position of truth.

Don't let this shit stand. Papworth can fuck right off.

Or just comment on the GAGR article

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Australian Rugby is not improved by contracting. It never has been.

We all know about the problems with the top-down model of making everything about the Wallabies, and it's amazing that club rugby, the NRC, and Super Rugby have all been pushed into concessions and restrictions over the last few years while the Wallabies continue to live as if nothing has changed. I became a fan because I played for Royals here in Canberra, which translated to going out to Super Rugby games, which grew into watching the Wallabies on TV and occasionally going to a game. It was never a case that the Wallabies fed my enthusiasm for other parts of Australian Rugby; the clubs, the Super teams, the schoolboys, they all fed my enthusiasm for the Wallabies.

So I agree that we need to do more to support the base. Lord knows the pyramid is very top-heavy at the moment. But this egotistic drivel about the good old days isn't even worth the paper it's written on, and the solution is to support clubs, the NRC, and Super teams, not to chase the amateur era glory days.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Or just comment on the GAGR article

Well, of course - that too.

All I'm saying is that a lot of people at the Roar are angrier than the average Green and Gold poster, and therefore frequent the Roar instead, where anger and pessimism is rewarded with social capital.

Hell, we've even lost a few ex-GAGR contributors to the dark side over the years, and both arenas are probably better off for it.

I often ignore them for that very reason, but they are Australian rugby fans too, and so I think it's important that we share our opinion with them on this topic.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
The Roar, are you serious with Parkes and Zavos its about as politically correct as you can get these days.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just listened to the Podcast "Asleep at the Wheel" and in the light of THE Letter about the club association from Papworth and the comments from Barbar and Co it has to be said, the reason there are so many "mushroom" and thought bubbles popping up all over and little rebellions is not just the lack of good news. Its the loss of standing and gravitas of RA. Anything they say is pretty much disregarded by most people if they even hear it. They squandered their mandate to govern the sport and now all decisions and projects are looked at with outright cynicism unless it directly benefits the individual club/competition. This is not so much about vested interest and inherent bias, its simple psychology, when the organisation has no standing and is regarded as having no integrity there is no trust to carry their decisions that have no direct benefit to other individuals/clubs/competitions. All that is seen is cynically the "pissing up the wall" of yet more coin. I don't think anybody can name a single decision and proposal from RA that has genuine support from a majority of rugby people over the last decade.
I do not think this situation can be rectified before complete collapse now, simply because you could change all the RA including the bureaucrats in the background and it would still be regarded with suspicion. It is telling for me that Reg and BarBar both said they simply cannot support the Clubs alliance thing regardless of any merit, because of where it comes from (Papworth et al). Telling for me because it is exactly the same as the cynicism that the RA is faced with.
In my mind this is the end result of the inequity of distribution of funding and the trickle down system that has been in play in Australia since 1996.
I will remain involved in the game at a local level, but for me now Pro Rugby in Australia is dead, and I no longer care. It is now just an interesting study at how they try to drag the corpse along a bit longer and the pro end continue to milk the cow for her last drops.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Jones' articles progressively descent further into irrelevence each week. they make less and less sense and more and more make him look either pie eyed or sexist and probably both.

i don't think we've seen enough from Raelene to say she's a disaster and while i believe in club rugby and grass roots, not too sure the powers of the game (south africa, england, ireland, NZ) are controlled by local clubs mostly from two cities. not many professional sports in the world are successful because they have left power with local amateur clubs.

nail was hit on the head in an article on here - they are grumpy old men who see everything as better back in the day and that "progressives" have ruined it. im sure jones has the same basic opinion on everything....get it back to where it was in the 80s.

time for him to bore off.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
For me the biggest problem child is nsw rugby.

What concerns me is:
- Failure to grow western Sydney with Penrith gone and parammatta near the bottom for Shute shield

- both nrc and nrc u19s seeing both country and rays team near the bottom

- internal politics constantly on show with this evident with Shute shield final seeing nsw teams for nrc not starting until round 2

- lack of any innovation or leadership on rugby developments Eg compared to day qld who just launched 7’a competition (plus other examples but won’t go on)

The head of nswru is doing a pretty crap job imo as nsw rugby - time for the kiwi to be let go and head back across the ditch imho.

While many have lamented qldru and nswru have held back the game imho I would take qldru gladly in view of progress made at lower levels with talent development (look at nrc and nrcu19) and innovation wise.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Unfortunately there are other problems with QRU. Over the years they have done very well with things like streaming and they at least make a concerted effort behind grass roots and Premier. But the place at a professional level is a basket case. Devaluing ofayer assets, entrenched coaching failure, commercial underperformance.

When we need QRU to be holding RA to account it is actually RA who are propping up QRU.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Unfortunately there are other problems with QRU. Over the years they have done very well with things like streaming and they at least make a concerted effort behind grass roots and Premier. But the place at a professional level is a basket case. Devaluing ofayer assets, entrenched coaching failure, commercial underperformance.

When we need QRU to be holding RA to account it is actually RA who are propping up QRU.

The model we use is completely crocked. Until we have the collective gumption to fix it. Things will remain as they are.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
What good is “collective gumption “?
Pitchforks in the streets?
The game is run by the board,how do you get on the board?
By mixing with,and sharing the vision of the board.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Chaps, let's stop breaking this down to pointing fingers at state level, because quite frankly the game is no longer big enough in this sporting market to consider itself hierarchical.

As I've mentioned before: look at the sheer number of "Unions" or "Associations" or other random bullshit within the nation. There's a reason this has happened: no ***t can agree with any other ***t on how the game should be run. Once that happens, yer fuct as numbers drop and juniors fail and seniors can't bring talent through and communities give up on the game.

Not that this isn't affecting other sports - country competitions everywhere are under increasing stress of depopulation, demographic change, longer work hours, and external pressures such as drought.

In any case, the only way to fix it is not by committee, but by focused leadership driving sweeping analysis of the game's structure here.

I've made the offer publicly: Pfitzy installed as Benevolent-Dictator-For-Life.

I'm cheap at only $400K per year, and an ironclad right to tell whomsoever I please to fuck off if they're in the way.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fucking hell I've just read the comments on the Schoolboys threads about people not getting enough pats on the arse from everyone for scoring tries.

Anybody wonder why the game is colonically fucked here?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Chaps, let's stop breaking this down to pointing fingers at state level, because quite frankly the game is no longer big enough in this sporting market to consider itself hierarchical.

As I've mentioned before: look at the sheer number of "Unions" or "Associations" or other random bullshit within the nation. There's a reason this has happened: no ***t can agree with any other ***t on how the game should be run. Once that happens, yer fuct as numbers drop and juniors fail and seniors can't bring talent through and communities give up on the game.

Not that this isn't affecting other sports - country competitions everywhere are under increasing stress of depopulation, demographic change, longer work hours, and external pressures such as drought.

In any case, the only way to fix it is not by committee, but by focused leadership driving sweeping analysis of the game's structure here.

I'm cheap at only $400K per year, and an ironclad right to tell whomsoever I please to fuck off if they're in the way.

Got my vote. Can't be worse than the current mob.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Current downturn won't help anything either. Spunking 150 x 2 on tickets to see the Wobblies lose is essentially out of my budget.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeh dru but longer term if right foundations in place better chance of long term professsional success at reds level. My concern is Tahs getting to semi’s For super rugby may be another wallabies rugby World Cup final window dressing situation which hides the shaky foundations for nsw rugby as I alluded to. Andrew Hore does not appear to be doing a good job on current evidence.

Reactions: dru