• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I drove past the fancy new RA building the other day. Pretty amusing how they could afford a giant empty office building but cant afford to sack the head coach.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The only scenario that this media leak really makes sense in is where Jake White was the one who cancelled the call, and the ARU wanted to get ahead of THAT leak by changing the narrative.
Otherwise, who keeps leaking information from inside the ARU?

Why would Jake White cancel the call? It makes no sense. As a professional rugby coach, surely he'd at least want to hear what RA had to say?

Talking to someone on the telephone implies no obligation, in fact I'd have thought that with Cheika's contract up in a year that RA should be talking to prospective coaches in advance rather than their traditional approach of running around like chooks with their heads chopped off at the last minute.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Otherwise, who keeps leaking information from inside the ARU?

The only people who would benefit from the leak are those who want Cheika to remain in place for whatever reason.

EDIT: Or someone who would like to succeed Cheika, or someone who would like a mate of theirs to succeed Cheika.

RK and SL?;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^ Anyways, it’s been reported that it was White who approached RA in the first place, and then RA who cancelled the hookup following the media leak...........

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^ Anyways, it’s been reported that it was White who approached RA in the first place, and then RA who cancelled the hookup following the media leak.....

Perfectly normal and proper for a professional coach to approach an organisation for possible future employment.

RA just make themselves look more foolish than usual (and highly unprofessional) by cancelling the call and leaking it to their favoured journo.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Perfectly normal and proper for a professional coach to approach an organisation for possible future employment.

RA just make themselves look more foolish than usual (and highly unprofessional) by cancelling the call and leaking it to their favoured journo.

Thought I'd better show support. Generally speaking QH, I completely agree with pretty much everything you have been saying. Enough that I don't feel I need to add anything other than support.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Why would Jake White cancel the call? It makes no sense. As a professional rugby coach, surely he'd at least want to hear what RA had to say?

Talking to someone on the telephone implies no obligation, in fact I'd have thought that with Cheika's contract up in a year that RA should be talking to prospective coaches in advance rather than their traditional approach of running around like chooks with their heads chopped off at the last minute.
Someone needs to give her a copy of the org chart.
Just cos Cheika tells her he’s the boss, it’s not necessarily so....

Cancelling the call certainly makes it look like she’s subservient to him.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
'New Phone, who dis?'

JW.jpg

B

Bobby Sands

Jake White would be a great get.

I read someone say here that its a bad investment to change coach because it might only lead to one extra game at the WC.

This could not be further from the truth.

We are playing for the life of Australian rugby, we cannot afford to be this rudderless, diluted version of ourselves. The game is on life support.

Jake White is a man who could clean us up quickly, and at the very least have us playing structured, organised football, with good discipline.

What a nice thought that is.

B

Bobby Sands

Alan Jones is alot of thing, and I mean alot.

One thing he isn't though is stupid.

I think Rugby Australia could do alot worse than listen to some of his suggestions.

Do not forget he coached a Grand-Slam winning Wallabies side, he is no nuffy.

B

Bobby Sands

Also, re; Jake White.

His assistants are two Australians; Muggleton and Scrivenger.

Could be an easy transition.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Also, re; Jake White.

His assistants are two Australians; Muggleton and Scrivenger.

Could be an easy transition.

It’s already been said, but I guess we will “go round again” many times on this topic.

Jones would not be a bad stop gap plan. Unfortunately the indications are he wants more than 2019 and the RWC. Now he MIGHT be the right guy for the medium term, but the only way to gauge this is more thorough investigation checklist g out the availability post RWC.

I’m over short term reactions at RA.

I’m not enthused by Jake-ball as a new Australian style, though I’d cope for a year getting back to basics. Cheika locked in a one-sided deal when he had all the power. Let’s not repeat with Jake (or anyone).

Rebelsfan

Billy Sheehan (19)
Alan Jones did coach the Barbarians last year, and though they lost, he does understand the game of rugby. Does he have time for the gig? Probably not. Could we listen to him bleet about himself for even a year and thereafter - that would be hard to take but it would go down well with a spoonful of success.
Really, I said it a while ago, Cheika has lost the players confidence and the European trip showed it, and now he has lost his support too.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Alan Jones is alot of thing, and I mean alot.

One thing he isn't though is stupid.

I think Rugby Australia could do alot worse than listen to some of his suggestions.

Do not forget he coached a Grand-Slam winning Wallabies side, he is no nuffy.

I think that although he can be a polarising figure, you are correct in saying that he still has something to offer Australian rugby. However, he's in his mid 70s and I don't think he could realistically do the job beyond as a stop-gap role and possibly not even then.

I'm not sure that he would really want to commit to coaching the Wallabies full-time given age and health issues.