• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Yeah i don't it's entirely the case, unless they clash.

If there is a clash the expectation is that you choose the school sport.

I chose chess because fuck school.

When you have that attitude you are placing yourself as an individual above that of being part of a larger group be that your team or school. In my view these personal qualities and attitude are more important than athletic talent.

Just to clarify I am not saying this is the case with the boy discussed earlier in this thread. I just find it very hard for any boy at a GPS school to have significant commitments outside of school across the the other side Sydney and the school to say it consistently applies its standards to all students.

Anyway when it comes to sports and pathway's Wayne Goldsmith gave a good interview

https://www.radiosport.co.nz/on-air...520527921&mc_cid=01dbf0ec57&mc_eid=f673cf9b26

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
When did the Advocate cease being a satire site?

Damn straight!

"Addidas Develop New NRL Style Footy Boot Featuring Ankle Bracelet Compatibility"

IMG_0846.JPG

WARNING: do NOT attempt to read whilst drinking ones morning coffee........

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/spo...-boot-featuring-ankle-bracelet-compatibility/

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
housands of junior rugby participants will be flooding through the gates this Vodafone Super Rugby season with all Australian teams granting them free access to their home games.

This will be the first season all four Australian Super Rugby teams have offered the incentive which gives our youngest fans the opportunity to watch our biggest stars from the sidelines.

Each team’s offer varies with their own perks for members. The Melbourne Rebels are offering all registered junior players aged 18 and under free access to all home games at AAMI Park whilst seniors will be granted a free pass to two home games.

Melbourne Rebels CEO Baden Stephenson said: ‘’The Rebels have been an incredible vehicle for participation growth in Victoria with a 106% increase since their inception.

‘’It is only through nurturing the grassroots and supporting the next generation that we will ensure the long-term success of our Club,’’ said Stephenson.

The Queensland Reds look forward to welcoming thousands of registered Queensland junior club players aged 17 and under into Suncorp Stadium when accompanied by a paying parent.

Queensland Rugby Union CEO David Hanham said: “This initiative recognises the contribution of kids who play and their parents who are on the sideline at every junior training session.

''It’s important that we inspire our youngest fans through allowing them to get behind their Reds’ heroes at our Super Rugby home games,” said Hanham.

The Brumbies will once again accommodate for registered players aged 18 and under as well as offering senior registered players four free flexible home game passes.

Brumbies CEO Phil Thomson said: “This initiative is a fantastic way to introduce young players to the club and to Super Rugby. Many aspire to reach the elite level and our players are their role models.

“We are a proud community at the Brumbies, and we are delighted to help facilitate Super Rugby access to our junior membership,” said Thomson.

The NSW Waratahs will once again provide all junior players aged 16 and under with a season-free pass which has proven to be a huge success in recent years.

NSW Waratahs CEO Andrew Hore said: "Providing New South Wales junior rugby participants the opportunity to see their NSW Waratahs up close and in action has been a key priority for us and that is why for more than five years we have offered junior registered players free entry to Waratahs home games.

"We look forward to welcoming them all back this year as we take our home games across the State including to Brookvale, Newcastle, SCG and Parramatta,’’ said Hore.

The Super Rugby season kicks off tonight when the Brumbies take on the Melbourne Rebels on home turf at GIO Stadium. Tomorrow night, the NSW Waratahs will open their season against the Hurricanes at Brookvale Oval in Sydney.

Every Vodafone Super Rugby match will be broadcast live on Fox Sports Australia and streamed live on Kayo Sports while Network Ten will broadcast a full replay of one Australian Vodafone Super Rugby match each Sunday morning at 8am AEDT on ONE.

From a RA press release this morning

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
From RA Press Release:

The Rugby Australia Board has held its February meeting in Sydney today.

One of the main agenda items was Rugby Australia’s strategy ahead of SANZAAR negotiations for the 2021-2025 broadcast cycle. The Board agreed the key focus points for discussion at the next SANZAAR meeting in March and were also updated on the feedback from current SANZAAR broadcast partners.

The Board also re-affirmed Rugby Australia’s support of World Rugby’s continued drive to deliver an aligned global competition and these discussions will continue at World Rugby meetings in Dublin in March.

Vacant Qantas Wallabies positions including National Selector, Attack Coach, and Head of Athletic Preparation were discussed, with an announcement on the appointment of a National Selector likely to be made in the coming days. Recruitment for the two remaining positions will be completed following the arrival of new Director of Rugby, Scott Johnson.

The Board heard a debrief from a successful HSBC Sydney 7s at Spotless Stadium earlier this month, which included a sold-out finals day on Sunday and a positive fan response to a new mix of entertainment options at the event, including the popular addition of a music festival stage. The Board also approved the approach for venue appointments over the next four-year cycle of the event beginning in 2020.

The Board also acknowledged today's release of a report ‘Pathway to Pay Equality’ by Male Champions of Change (MCC) Sport, a joint initiative between Australia’s leading sports organisations. The report made several recommendations for sports organisations and other major stakeholders in sport to continue the push to achieve pay equality in sport, as well as publishing results of a self-assessment of each MCC Sport member’s progress on The Pathway to Pay Equality.

Rugby Australia Chief Executive and MCC Sport Special Advisor, Raelene Castle said: “Rugby has made a significant step forward over the past year by achieving pay parity on entry-level minimum contracts across the professional game, with our women’s and men’s sevens players and male Super Rugby players entitled to the same minimum terms.

“Equality and Inclusion continue to be a strong focus of Rugby Australia and the MCC Sport report released today has shown that our sport has made significant gains in the area of pay equality and has benchmarked well alongside some of our fellow sports. We remain committed to making further progress over the coming year,” said Castle.

The next meeting of the Board will be held on the day following the Rugby Australia AGM on Monday 8 April.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
They're missing a trick here. Last thing they need is another 50+ year old who hasn't been in the weeds of pro rugby for years.

They should look at a respected recently retired player who has played with and against the players up for discussion.

Would need to be someone willing to stand up to Cheika so I don't actually know who it is, but someone like Stephen Moore, Rob Horne, etc.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Wouldn't a recent Wallaby player be likely to have biases towards their mates that are still playing? Consciously or otherwise?

Throwing a curve ball: Aussie by birth and Rugby upbringing. Plenty of international experience. Still playing pro within the last 5 years. Coached over here at NRC level. No loyalty to the existing wallabies structure.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
I think that regardless of their playing/coaching background they need to have the analytical ability. Take Grant Fox as an example - clearly out of the playing ranks for a long time so no ties to players, has been involved in assisting coaches (used to help with the backs at the Blues when Henry was coach) but not seeking a coaching gig but the key thing is that he is seen by Henry and subsequently Hansen as someone who can analyse player abilities and have a strong opinion and not be caught up in team politics. I don't know who the Australian equivalent would be.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They're missing a trick here. Last thing they need is another 50+ year old who hasn't been in the weeds of pro rugby for years.

They should look at a respected recently retired player who has played with and against the players up for discussion.

Would need to be someone willing to stand up to Cheika so I don't actually know who it is, but someone like Stephen Moore, Rob Horne, etc.
I can't really see these two standing up to Cheik. Both of them played extensively under him. Don't hate the idea though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
O'Connor's a good option in my view. He's been involved at a high level as a coach and now has time to watch plenty of rugby.

I'd be worried if they went with someone who had just retired, the Drew Mitchell effect could become an issue, not wanting to say anything bad about his mates.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
independent selector is such a cop out, are the selectors going to attend all the training sessions and get the same face time as the coach, how do they expect to get a grasp of how a player is training and how they are picking up the moves and building combinations?

It might work in Cricket, but cricket a team sport with individuals working in isolation. Rugby union in a team sport with individuals working in cohesion with each other. What other rugby league or union teams use a selector model?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What other rugby league or union teams use a selector model?

All Blacks

Having said that, this appointment will really only be bending the coach's ear and bouncing ideas off it. Some people will find a benefit with that sort of thing. Others know better.

In the end, the buck stops with Che the assistant staffers.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So not so much a selector, rather someone to provide a different point of view when discussing selections.
I just can’t see someone like Steve Hansen having anything but the final word on who plays where.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be more applicable at squad level than matchday 23 level I'd say. It will be about providing input based on watching all the games.

That said I'd be surprised if there wasn't an element of attending some training sessions when we get into the test season.

Reactions: dru

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
One of Hansen's great strengths is that he is a great selector, made easier by the depth of talent. Cheika's selections make no sense half the time so maybe someone asking him why he changes his locks every week and is there any chance we can see someone else at 10 will help.