• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Well it means he can keep a good part of the 2 mil raised for the case I suppose. Anyway really happy it over !!

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
This is about de-risking. There was a risk to both sides of a prolonged legal case with huge legal fees that neither side were likely to get back, especially with prolonged appeals etc. I think the mediation is probably the best outcome, RA could easily have spent many millions and won the case the same for Folau (he was never going to get the 14 million).

I could be wrong but I think the figure will be around 2 - 4 million mark likely, with the apology required to help with Folau's future employment opportunities (this would be a way around Folau's claim that RA are impeding his future earnings).

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
This is about de-risking. There was a risk to both sides of a prolonged legal case with huge legal fees that neither side were likely to get back, especially with prolonged appeals etc. I think the mediation is probably the best outcome, RA could easily have spent many millions and won the case the same for Folau (he was never going to get the 14 million).

I could be wrong but I think the figure will be around 2 - 4 million mark likely, with the apology required to help with Folau's future employment opportunities (this would be a way around Folau's claim that RA are impeding his future earnings).

I think RA also would have been keen to spare themselves this spectacle:

Wallabies players supportive of Israel Folau are willing to be interrogated in court by Rugby Australia’s own lawyers, according to silks representing the sacked superstar.
Folau’s lawyer George Haros revealed they’d obtained affidavits from Folau’s former Wallabies teammates that will form part of their case in February next year, claiming he was wrongfully terminated and owed $14 million in lost earnings.
The exact number of players is being kept confidential, but the fact they’ve signed the legal papers means RA’s lawyers can cross-examine them in the Federal Circuit Court of Australia in Melbourne.
Link to the article here:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...g/news-story/18939b67f39405e891d8f419c020f010

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I think RA also would have been keen to spare themselves this spectacle:

Yeah it would have been a sh*tshow. I'm unsure if ultimately they would been allowed to testify as I'm unsure any of the players are experts on employment law or discrimination, but it would have been down to the judge on the day which is a risk. However it shows that both sides were probably ready to fight dirty as is common in unfair dismissal cases. No one wants their dirty laundry aired in a public domain, getting Issy on the stand would have been equally interesting and probably something his legal team were keen to avoid.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Well, we role into 2020 with the Folau saga over, a new Wallaby coach (and for Tahs fans, a new Tahs coach), Clyne leaving in the first half of the year and about half the Wallabies moving on.
It's a new year, a new era, let's get excited, I'm really looking forward to it!!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or any chance of Folau playing any pro football code in Australia.

I am not even sure French or Japense clubs would touch him personally as too much risk

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
Will we by looking at RAs annual accounts be able to work out how much Folau was paid out?

Up to the RA and the agreement.

Its not a sure thing that it would have been a lump sum payment or multiple payments spread over a time period.

Also easy with accounting tricks to spread the payment through departments etc.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Well, we role into 2020 with the Folau saga over, a new Wallaby coach (and for Tahs fans, a new Tahs coach), Clyne leaving in the first half of the year and about half the Wallabies moving on.
It's a new year, a new era, let's get excited, I'm really looking forward to it!!!
Fuck yeah. Something to be positive about.

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
Will we by looking at RAs annual accounts be able to work out how much Folau was paid out?

That was my first thought too but probably not. How much the insurer paid will remain unknown. How much of a hit RA took could be obscured by deferred payments and various classifications for payments, assuming they are even required to disclose it (not sure on the legalities regarding requirements to conceal/reveal confidential payments on books).

I'm starting to think we're not going to find out.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
and... insurance covers a lot of costs like these and could have very well dictated the terms of the settlement on behalf of RA

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's almost a certainty that the insurer drove the mediation process, probably far more than RA. Happens all the time in Medical and other indemnity cases, this would be much the same.
Having been through a drawn-out, expensive and frustrating mediation process in the past, as the lawyers said to me, if all parties are not particularly happy, it has probably gone as well as possible! You have to accept stuff that sticks in your craw for the sake of finishing the bloody thing.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well it means he can keep a good part of the 2 mil raised for the case I suppose.

No freezed peach test case means the pledges supposedly get returned (minus a few costs, natch):

Folau's unlawful termination campaign collected up to $3 million in donations through the Australian Christian Lobby. ACL director Martin Iles said donations would be refunded "on a pro-rata basis" and donors would be contacted in due course.​

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
AASB101 requires separate disclosure of material litigation settlements. Non disclosure will allow us to draw some inferences but not a lot more than we already have from the circumstances.

S

sidelineview

Well it means he can keep a good part of the 2 mil raised for the case I suppose. Anyway really happy it over !!

That money went into a trust fund specifically for legal costs.
ACL has offered to refund donated money if requested by donors.