• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh of course Alan we should have just taken another lowball and quick deal with Foxtel or been clear enough to predict covid 19.Alan Jones - the Murdoch puppet and biggest arse wipe as stain on our game perpetuating the BS politics with old school solutions instead of modern solutions to move us forward.

Foxtel dying in the arse could presumably cost Jones a few hundred thousand a year. I imagine Sky News pays him a fair bit.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
My guess is that RUPA is trying to force Castle out as part of the negotiations - Harrison is part of the Kafer Krew me thinks

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I try not to wish ill on people - but gee Alan Jones makes it hard. He is just a nasty piece of work.

I do find it sad that people like Jones have such a following that they are still seen as worth broadcasting.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
My guess is that RUPA is trying to force Castle out as part of the negotiations - Harrison is part of the Kafer Krew me thinks

With respect, I think that's a bit harsh on Harrison. He's a very bright guy tasked with representing his membership in pay talks with their employer.

As a consequence, there arises a natural conflict between the parties that's no-one's 'fault' and can be described more fairly than by suggesting it's simply a matey conspiracy.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Like most others, I am, however, somewhat less sanguine when it comes to Jones

I think he's got plenty of money. Being 'relevant' and 'sought out' is probably more his drug of choice.

Being contrarian gets you noticed. Makes you relevant when maybe you wouldn't be otherwise.

Hands up who thinks he did the 'up the jumper' play in the BaaBaas game knowing it wasn't allowed, but just to get talked about?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Like most others, I am, however, somewhat less sanguine when it comes to Jones

I think he's got plenty of money. Being 'relevant' and 'sought out' is probably more his drug of choice.

Being contrarian gets you noticed. Makes you relevant when maybe you wouldn't be otherwise.

Hands up who thinks he did the 'up the jumper' play in the BaaBaas game knowing it wasn't allowed, but just to get talked about?
I agree he is contrarian to get noticed but agree almost feel motivation is more contrarian to get noticed and get paid to publish contrarian views than focus on quality of those contrarian views (hence contrarian but adds little value in terms of constructive debate and positive forward thinking solutions).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jones is a self-serving narcissist with a very dubious background as a schoolteacher.
We don't want this site shut down wamberal.

Jones has a great record as a rugby coach of yesteryear; today he is still increasing his winning radio ratings. He has done and continues to do a lot of good things of relevance to his listeners.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
today he is still increasing his winning radio ratings. He has done and continues to do a lot of good things of relevance to his listeners.

I've always wondered about radio numbers. Is it a case of the number of people listening (to radio as a whole) is staying the same and more people are choosing to listen to Jones? Or is it a case of, less people are listening to the radio (as a whole) and the same people are choosing to listen to Jones. I.E. Jones 'winning' the radio ratings is more about who doesn't know how to play podcasts/spotify in their car?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We don't want this site shut down wamberal.

Jones has a great record as a rugby coach of yesteryear; today he is still increasing his winning radio ratings. He has done and continues to do a lot of good things of relevance to his listeners.

Like when he incited anti-Muslim hatred prior to the Cronulla riots?

Or his constant violent, misogynistic remarks towards women in power?

Or his long record of regurgitating false news and statistics on air, and providing platforms for anti-science quacks?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Jones is a self-serving narcissist with a very dubious background as a schoolteacher.

I will always remembering him boasting, that a racehorse he owned that was racing on the day I was at a rugby lunch, he was quite proud the horse was not being set to win the race and was only there for a bit of a run and jockey was not trying to win race. The horse duly came around 5th, and he smugly told all at lunch see as I said!! I then realised that horse racing really is even worse than I thought and was glad I not a betting man. I still surprised he said it in public and was never picked up by papers etc!

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't think there's any real mystery as to how Alan Jones operates.

In any given scenario, there's an underdog and a villain. Jones will always take on the villain on behalf of the underdog. If you're the underdog, then there's no one in the world you'd rather have on your side, and I certainly haven't forgotten how he supported the Force during the culling fiasco.

However, just because there's an underdog doesn't mean the other party in dispute is necessarily a villain. Jones doesn't always get this which is why he can go too far and disgrace himself in such misguided attacks against people such as the Wagner mining family (whom he falsely blamed for devastating floods in Queensland) or the Woolworths CEO whom he outrageously accused of elder abuse due to teething problems in their early shopping hours policy.

So Jones can be absolutely right on some issues and hopelessly wrong on others. Just because he's wrong about the Wagners doesn't mean his criticisms of RA should be dismissed out of hand - sometimes, there really are villains.

Apart from that, the attacks on Jones' listeners as being racist, bigoted, misogynist or too dumb to download a podcast - those sorts of sneers are way more bigoted than anything I've heard or read from Jones.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes

It seems there's a radio constituency for almost any peculiar set of views and personality.

Another example, how does Kyle Sandilands make millions? He's an intellectual oaf (in my opinion).

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Or are you uncomfortable discussing the questionable things Jones has done like writing love letters to school children?
BH I'm more than happy to discuss the good and bad of anybody including Alan Jones. I would support much of what he has achieved in his career. For example, he is doing very well at the moment to tread a fine line between supporting the National Cabinet yet still call out its shortcomings.
My concern was that unsubstantiated allegations that verge on my meagre understanding of libel could harm G&GR.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BH I'm more than happy to discuss the good and bad of anybody including Alan Jones. I would support much of what he has achieved in his career. For example, he is doing very well at the moment to tread a fine line between supporting the National Cabinet yet still call out its shortcomings.
My concern was that unsubstantiated allegations that verge on my meagre understanding of libel could harm G&GR.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the-demons-that-drive-alan-jones-20061021-gdone7.html

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Or are you uncomfortable discussing the questionable things Jones has done like writing love letters to school children?
I am by no way an expert, but I did think there was legal precedent for internet sites being held accountable for postings on the site.

It is probably a fair enough reminder that we need to be careful what we post in terms of legal liability.

Not everyone has Jones’ luxury of just letting their employer pick up the legal costs whenever we get deemed to go too far on an attack.