• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Does it ever. One of my favourite stories happened in the early days of Sha Tin in Hong Kong. Peter Miers rode five winners, all for the one trainer (who would be lucky to saddle a dozen winners in the average season).

He bought himself an apartment building on the Gold Coast with the proceeds (from the lucky owners, presumably, strictly against all the rules of course).
Yes HK was the most notorious offender because of the massive betting syndicates. They now have the most severe punishments in the world.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't think it would be very hard to defend most of what has been said about AJ here. A valid defence to an action in defamation is justification. i.e. the defamatory imputations were true in substance. AJ has put out more than enough content to defend most of these claims about his character with ease.

Defences aside, i think it's relatively unlikely that GAGR would be found liable for posts made by another individual - though the law says that it's possible. The issue lies in determining whether GAGR is to be considered a 'passive facilitator' or an 'active publisher'. A forum probably isn't an active publisher unless a potentially defamatory post has been brought to the attention of the operators of the site, considered and left published.

So, it's technically possible but a Judge could just as easily determine GAGR is a passive facilitator. Fairly shaky grounds on which to commence what would probably be fairly costly proceedings, i think.

Further reading about legal liability for online intermediaries for those interested: http://classic.austlii.edu.au/au/journals/SydLawRw/2018/19.html

(not legal advice)
You also need to be worth going after. I dont think GAGR would be.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
OK, let's move on from this somewhat pointless deviation from the rantings/ambitions/wishes from/of The Parrot. I'm happy to call it quits on Alan Jones.

We're in fraught times, 'nuff said. The future beckons.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Yes HK was the most notorious offender because of the massive betting syndicates. They now have the most severe punishments in the world.

Much better technology these days, I think that is the big difference. It used to be commonplace for the top jockeys to be passed brown envelopes (literally) every month from owners. All they had to do is tell the owners when their horse was trying. The amazing thing is, it was not about winning money, it was about owners being able to tell their friends to back their horse! Face was far more important. Money? Everybody had money. I was stunned the first time I walked into the Owners Box at Happy Valley. Gents were queuing up to place their bets, hands full of $1000HK notes. This was just few years after we had introduced our $50 note, which was worth about $300HK!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Player pay issue appears to have been settled:

"Australia's Super Rugby and sevens players are poised to agree to a mammoth 60 per cent pay cut across the board for a six-month period, allowing Rugby Australia to slash its wage bill by more than 80 per cent between April and September after government payments are factored in."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/12112...ised-to-slash-player-wage-bill-by-83-per-cent

Can't wait to see how *certain people* will cast this as a failure on Raelene Castle's part......

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not defending Jones generally, but I will defend his comments here. I am a racing industry participant and like all industries it does have a rogue element, I'm not disputing that. However, sprinters aside, a lot of horses need to run in one, two or three shorter races before they get to their ideal distance. This is generally reflected in the odds and while a jockey has an obligation to give their horse every chance to win the race they also have an obligation not to flog it to death if at a given point in a race it's clearly no chance. That's why it was never picked up by the media, no one would have given a fuck.

Mate I understand the idea of not flogging a horse etc, but a; you don't boast about it, and b; everyone who bets needs to be made aware of the practice really so betting is seen as clean!

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Mate I understand the idea of not flogging a horse etc, but a; you don't boast about it, and b; everyone who bets needs to be made aware of the practice really so betting is seen as clean!
It sounds more like a justification of why his horse was going to go shit than a boast. And any serious punter is aware of it, casual punters need to do their due diligence like anyone else. Like for example, betting on the Wallabies to beat Samoa without researching that they’re actually sending the B team out. Just thought I’d throw that in to keep vaguely rugby related, but It’s actually no different really.

Anyways, let’s leave it here, I wasn’t having a dig at you at all, just wanted to clarify how it works.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I guess it's easy to go off topic when there's nothing on topic to talk about, but looks like the pay deal with RUPA has been ratified, in summary:
- players earning under $95K will revert to the jobkeeper payment of $3250pm.
- Players earning above that figure will receive a combined payment from JobKeeper and RA, with the size of the cut increasing the more the player makes. All players making more than $300,000 a season will lose at least 65 per cent of their income, until September 30.

And if RA runs out of money and goes into voluntary administration or receivership, the agreement on cuts will be immediately terminated with players to receive their full contract payouts.
Furthermore, players will be allowed to undertake additional employment to support their families during the lockdown including signing short-term overseas contracts from 2021 through to the next World Cup in 2023, as long as they meet certain requirements.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/215e864ed1a7d9ac1bb4d631ad8018b1

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyways, let’s leave it here, I wasn’t having a dig at you at all, just wanted to clarify how it works.

Mate there was no way I thought you were, and understood what you were correcting me on. Hell mate if I got upset everytime someone clarified something I had commented on I would be in a padded cell.

And there needs to be no comments about me and padded cells:confused:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I guess it's easy to go off topic when there's nothing on topic to talk about, but looks like the pay deal with RUPA has been ratified, in summary:
- players earning under $95K will revert to the jobkeeper payment of $3250pm.
- Players earning above that figure will receive a combined payment from JobKeeper and RA, with the size of the cut increasing the more the player makes. All players making more than $300,000 a season will lose at least 65 per cent of their income, until September 30.

And if RA runs out of money and goes into voluntary administration or receivership, the agreement on cuts will be immediately terminated with players to receive their full contract payouts.
Furthermore, players will be allowed to undertake additional employment to support their families during the lockdown including signing short-term overseas contracts from 2021 through to the next World Cup in 2023, as long as they meet certain requirements.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...l/news-story/215e864ed1a7d9ac1bb4d631ad8018b1

Happy to be a novice on these scenarios, but can the players or RA sign such a deal? I thought if RA went into administration, it would be up to the administrators +/- the courts to decide who gets paid out?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Happy to be a novice on these scenarios, but can the players or RA sign such a deal? I thought if RA went into administration, it would be up to the administrators +/- the courts to decide who gets paid out?

It means that they become a creditor for their full contract value, not for the agreed reduction.

They won't receive the full amount but it means they get paid out pro rata based on what they should have earned, not the reduction they agreed to during the shutdown. I.e. they're getting cents in the dollar on $1m instead of cents in the dollar on $350k (or whatever their contract value was).

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think this is a pretty satisfactory arrangement, both for RA and the players.
I assume they have got the appropriate legal advice, there are all sorts of rules about what you can and can't do re going into administration, and being seen to favour some creditors over others.
I recall a local firm going into administration here, and before they did they paid all their local creditors. We were subsequently required to pay that back and just stand in line with the rest of the creditors.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
With Todd Greenberg standing down as CEO of the NRL, I am worried that Rugby Australia is going to lose its CEO to the NRL.

Raylene Castle replaced Todd Greenberg as CEO of the Bulldogs so is she in the mix for the NRL CEO gig and replace him again? Should that happen that would be a factual achievement as to her capability and previous achievements as a CEO.

Surely that personal reference from now retired Rugby Australia Director Ann Sherry former Chair and now special advisor to Carnival Cruises operators of the Ruby Princess will be worth it’s weight in gold.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
"This has not been an easy discussion, but it has been a necessary one to ensure that we are able to emerge from the other side of this crisis in the best possible position for the game to move forward," RA chief executive Raelene Castle said."It is important to note that these measures are a stop-gap, not a full-stop.

"We are deep into our planning to ensure we are able to navigate our way through this and be ready for competition to resume as soon as that is possible.

Okay so this appears a reasonable conclusion all round. But I would like to know what exactly they mean by deep discussions. Because for as long as i can remember that means signing your life away for whatever cash is dolled up by whatever broadcaster you can prostitute yourself to.
When are the fan base going to be included in these deep discussions.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think if you speculate too much in the media now you embarass yourself a bit like league. Until there is a clear.government direction on what is possible, how do you move forward. Castle's comment was in regard to resuming rugby, not tv deals.

I would like more detail on the overseas contracts for the top stars. Will it be instead of their RA money, or act as a top up. My feeling is if it isn't the latter there won't be many lucrative contracts to chase in the next few years with calls for salary cap reductions in the UK increasing the pool of players available and lowering the number of bidding clubs. Who knows what the impact will be in France and Japan.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
When are the fan base going to be included in these deep discussions.

What are you suggesting? A referendum? A plebiscite? Some form of on-line voting? Would the majority rule?

Seriously, mate, commercial negotiations take place between the corporate entities that are contemplating some sort of contract or other agreement. You and a lot of others might not accept this, or like it, but RA are actually acting on our behalf during the negotiations. That is how commerce works.

Top Bottom