• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Well thanks for the reply BH but I must say that seems to sum up as' there was a lot of controversy, it is the CEO's fault.' I do agree there was a lot of controversy. And Pulver has I believed made an admission he had perhaps given McKEnzie too much lattitude. But my sense when he said that was in the sense of remorse for a good man lost that he could have assisted more. NOT because he had made omissions.

There has been a lot of criticism for him blaming the media for McKenzie's resignation. I personally hold the media greatly responsible. Where is it written the media get to criticize everyone but can't be criticised themselves?

I'm doing my utmost to avoid discussing Beale, as it has been done to death and there is little to no prospect of consensus now.

That said I did want to table my thoughts on Pulver as I keep seeing media beat up that seems to downplay Beales sexist text message as if it was some harmless prank. They then go on to blame Pulver and the ARU for blowing it out of all proportion. Spiros Zavos' article in the Roar is a particularly shining example of the shoddy journalism. Highly selective and lacking any substance other than an allegation it was the ARU that leaked the texts!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
1) there is no qualification for CEO

2) the ARU don't have the money for a decent one anyway

3) there are plenty of pricks involved in the power games undermining anyone they don't like the look of

Pulver's going to have to look at retirement as a serious option after this gig, so he'll hang on as long as he can and hope Cheika delivers.
I gave this a like, not because I like it but because I agree with it.

Power game politics and self-entitled parasites are poisoning rugby in Australia.

Not saying he is doing a perfect job but, for mine, I hope Pulver hangs on and Cheika delivers.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
put the best systems in place
The rush to appoint Cheika without any sort of due process is the biggest indicator that neither Pulver or the ARU are using the processes they've set up, or alternatively they don't have any. Either one is pretty damming.

That the board let it happen, and most probably made it happen shows the real problem at the ARU.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
But where has it come undone? From Beale's actions and the victim feeling compelled to not come out due to the embarrassment of those actions.

Employ the best people you can, and put the best systems in place but you cannot prevent the rogue actions of individuals and no matter what management you have in place, you cannot control how a victim may wish to handle a matter.

You are choosing to believe that the only reason there is an issue is because of Kurtley Beale and everything at the ARU and the Wallabies was hunky-dory apart from that.

I don't think that's the case and ultimately, I think the CEO and the Chairman won't be Pulver and Hawker by the end of next year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The rush to appoint Cheika without any sort of due process is the biggest indicator that neither Pulver or the ARU are using the processes they've set up, or alternatively they don't have any. Either one is pretty damming.

That the board let it happen, and most probably made it happen shows the real problem at the ARU.

I'm not sure appointing Cheika was a bad move. I think they could have had a worldwide search and they would have come up with the same answer.

They were stuck between a rock and a hard place with only a few days until the end of year tour and a RWC less than a year away.

They could have made one of the assistant coaches head coach in the interim and appointed a head coach next year but that surely would have made our RWC chances even worse.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not sure appointing Cheika was a bad move. I think they could have had a worldwide search and they would have come up with the same answer.

They were stuck between a rock and a hard place with only a few days until the end of year tour and a RWC less than a year away.

They could have made one of the assistant coaches head coach in the interim and appointed a head coach next year but that surely would have made our RWC chances even worse.

I actually think he's the right man too. But he also could have been appointed as an interim coach for this tour. Lots of different ways it could have been solved.

Appointing long term contracts in 4 days without considering any alternatives is just a recipe for disaster. And worse, from the ARU and board's point of view, if he blows up for whatever reason just before the WC they will have absolutely nowhere to hide. They haven't done the due diligence.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Leadership is not about "using the processes", as any fule kno.

It's about assessing the situation and making a decision.

The fact that there are only 8 tests before the World Cup means that appointing Cheika now—rather than next month or next year—doubles his tenure in terms of international matches in that period.

A slow decision in this case is no decision. Appointing Cheika is not damning, IMO, it's the right call.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
But where has it come undone? From Beale's actions and the victim feeling compelled to not come out due to the embarrassment of those actions.

If Kurtley's stupidity is not an excuse for his actions, why is Patston's emotion?

And before you all "FUCKING CHAUVINIST PIG!" on me, consider this:

If I had anyone in a management position, male, female, or otherwise, I'd expect them to be mature, detatched and professional enough to step straight in and lay down the law.

But here comes the shitstorm...........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Let's separate what was appropriate for Patston to do as someone sexually harassed in the workplace and what would have been best for her job, the Wallabies and the ARU.

A big problem in my view was that Patston was answerable to McKenzie due to the way things were structured. Ideally, those in a managerial role within the team should have been answerable to Pulver.

As someone new to the role trying to fit in with the playing group, I can understand her not wanting to make an issue of it. I can also understand her not wanting to make an issue of it because she was deeply hurt and embarassed.

It doesn't mean those responses were the best way for the situation to be handled for her or for the other parties involved.

Ultimately, it's hard to imagine a worse outcome for all concerned.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Ultimately, it's hard to imagine a worse outcome for all concerned.

If it had been brought to light in June, we might have

Rested from the 3 French Tests.
Smaller fine.
Less happy lawyers.
Less smug RUPA cock jugglers.

But what about Link and Patston? Would they still have been undermined to this degree if it wasn't a he-said/she-said situation that had been left to stew?

Dunno. Can't change it, but hopefully everyone learned from it.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I actually think he's the right man too. But he also could have been appointed as an interim coach for this tour. Lots of different ways it could have been solved.

Appointing long term contracts in 4 days without considering any alternatives is just a recipe for disaster. And worse, from the ARU and board's point of view, if he blows up for whatever reason just before the WC they will have absolutely nowhere to hide. They haven't done the due diligence.

This mob would have completed the due diligence for a new coach just after the 2015 RWC final.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you ask me Cheika has passed his first test.
On his form, expressed views and their history he could have added KB (Kurtley Beale) to the squad but he chose not to.
That shows an eye for the bigger picture, i reckon.
and i aint saying anything about whether he deserves to be there now or in the future by making this observation

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Spare a thought for me. Ten months ago I bought tickets to visit the UK and Europe to see the Spring Tour games. My enthusiasm has considerably waned in recent weeks (I have put my second national team as my profile logo) and at least I will enjoy the atmosphere at Millenium Stadium, Stade de France and Twickenham, as well as catching up with my friends in Germany. That is a good suggestion to imagine it's the great players of yesteryears, my tickets at Cardiff are nosebleed seats so it won't be too difficult - I will forget to take my glasses!

IIRC the highest-up seats at the Millennium Stadium aren't in nosebleed territory (yes, I've watched rugby there), but at the Olympic Stadium at Homebush I would agree.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What a load of croc that ARU were rash for quick appointment of Cheika - at senior levels of ARU they would have identified potential replacements for Link - not because he was under threat - but because you need to be prepared to enact a contingency plan if something like this happens and requires you to move quickly.

Due dligence on Cheika and other coaching potentials would have been done under the radar some time ago and hence why they could move quickly.

Rather than fluff around - their ability to appoint a quality coach like Cheika in a quick and effective manner actually shows astute leadership.....some other aspects may not have - but not Cheika's appointment b4 EOYT

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Realise that he's just one player within an entire sport. Realise that an independent panel has made a decision regarding his punishment and the ARU has accepted it.

I support the Wallabies and I support rugby union. I don't need to be satisfied that everyone involved meets my personal moral benchmarks for me to enjoy watching the Wallabies play.

If Beale is selected to play for the Wallabies again it will be because the coach thinks he's good enough to play for the Wallabies, not that he's condoning his past behaviour or making any judgement about him as a person.

And therein could lie the genesis of the next fuckup that could ultimately lead to the downfall of that coach. A very near-sighted position by the coach if that were to happen (ie not consider the behavioural record of a selected player).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
And therein could lie the genesis of the next fuckup that could ultimately lead to the downfall of that coach. A very near-sighted position by the coach if that were to happen (ie not consider the behavioural record of a selected player).

Well, Cheika has already made the decision that Beale will not join the EOYT so he's made a wise choice there whilst the situation is so volatile.

I really don't think the coach should be making judgements about the players behavioural record though when it isn't their job. In fact they should stay entirely out of it because then they should be immune to any dramas that unfold.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My take on it is that when McKenzie was appointed, Pulver delegated him unprecedented powers for the coach and allowed him significant control within every area of the ARU. He was given the power to not just appoint staff within the Wallabies team but the broader ARU.

Pulver made a choice that he was backing McKenzie to rescue both the Wallabies and with it Australian Rugby and ultimately, that has not worked out at all. By the same token, if McKenzie had been a runaway success, Pulver would have ridden on his coat tails.

The fact that Pulver is now presiding over the biggest scandal Australian rugby has seen which has resulted in one female staff member close to the team resigning (and potentially sueing the ARU at a later date) as well as the coach resigning. When everything blew up Pulver was still there saying he knew nothing and everything was news to him.

He is the CEO of an organisation where everyone from players, to staff members to board members leak detailed confidential information to the press on an almost daily basis.

I won't be surprised if he's gone before Super Rugby starts back next year.

Ah, now I think I understand. Link was responsible for all of the misbehaviour shown by KB (Kurtley Beale) and its consequences. Justice done then when he decided to walk away.:rolleyes:

There is no evidence apart from Beale's contention that Link was aware of any of the texts and images until the argument occurred on the plane. And Beale's claim needs to be taken with the largest grain of salt as he has reportedly admitted to have lied about other aspects of the issue in his statement to the tribunal. Just how link in his enlarged role, or Pulver for that matter had he retained the management control you say was passed to Link, could have intervened before Beale sent the text message isn't clear to me.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think, I think the ARU has a brand image problem. What is their brand, is it Rugby, is it the Wallabies, is it the players, etc, I'm not really sure. BP can do and say what he wants but until they get the branding fixed the corportate dollars and TV revenue will stay where it is, in corporate Australian pocket.
As for BP and KB (Kurtley Beale) and any other incident, nobody can predict these things but its how you react that matters and good PR people help you with that but I'm not sure the ARU has that, Link used poor judgement. He should have acted like the All blacks did with Cruden, you are out of two weeks done. The media noise goes away and you can deal with it later and away from scrutiny. i.e. KB (Kurtley Beale) blows up at Di, KB (Kurtley Beale) is on the next flight home, tell the remaining players to suck it up and deal with it later.

There is no doubt that Beale should have been sent home. In the end though it probably wouldn't have made any difference, except perhaps to have painted Beale as the victim of an oppressive and out of touch coach who had lost the respect of the team. Player power appears to have led to Link's demise and imo it would have been turned up many more notches had Beale been sent home.