• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
But I buy apps or movies etc. from the Google Play Store for (slightly bigger than) micropayments.

It seems like it would be an additional revenue channel worth investigating from organisations that sell subscription content.

A casual user subscription could be a good idea. I like having a subscription to the Aus (but the digital version) for the same reasons as rugbynutter but I'm not one that will read a paper from end to end, I like to browse the headlines and read the articles of interest. Some days I don't even look beyond the sports pages. A service where I pay say $20 at a time and that gets me say 30 articles would be a win for me.

B

Bobby Sands

A casual user subscription could be a good idea. I like having a subscription to the Aus (but the digital version) for the same reasons as rugbynutter but I'm not one that will read a paper from end to end, I like to browse the headlines and read the articles of interest. Some days I don't even look beyond the sports pages. A service where I pay say $20 at a time and that gets me say 30 articles would be a win for me.

I think the Australian digital subscription is $32 a month for all content printed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think the Australian digital subscription is $32 a month for all content printed.
Yeah it is and I don’t think that’s bad value personally, it’s basically $1 a day. I can justify that. I was more coming from the angle of the casual who sees an article once a week or so and just wants to read that article.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A lot of hype for a bloke who hasn’t run around yet.

Tbh I’m not sure 500k per year is the best use of your salary cap on an unproven commodity but who knows maybe he turns out great for whomever.
This guy likes your idea of an enforced "salary cap".
Unknown.jpg

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't understand why people in 2020 are still not paying for journalism. Apologies in advance if you pay for oher subscriptions and not The Aus, but the constant posting about paywalls on this site astounds me
I figure Rupert will survive on the blood of whatever sustains him without my hard-earned.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wow I would not want to be the opposition for that bid..sorry

Why? from a rugby perspective they're relative minnows, from a geographical disposition it would suits the European time zones for broadcast, however economically and growth potential its not the same level of opportunity as Japan was. For all the potential opportunity of Russia hosting, it only comes with a fraction of the opportunity for development that Japan offered.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
For all the potential opportunity of Russia hosting, it only comes with a fraction of the opportunity for development that Japan offered.
Have to disagree, I think a lot of European nations would get behind a Russian world cup. Georgia would give there vote for a home game or two. Romania would love it. You could easily sway the Home nations vote for TV times alone. Also SA and ARG might not be aligned with the SH teams by the time voting comes around and then Russia will does have a good chance. Remember they have hosted a winter Olympics, Champions League final etc recently enough.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Surely Russia won't win. Another RWC in the Northern Hemisphere will take it to four in a row held outside of SANZAAR nations.

It would cause the blowup of all blowups, and possibly the dissolution of World Rugby.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Why? from a rugby perspective they're relative minnows, from a geographical disposition it would suits the European time zones for broadcast, however economically and growth potential its not the same level of opportunity as Japan was. For all the potential opportunity of Russia hosting, it only comes with a fraction of the opportunity for development that Japan offered.

Because we all know what happens to his opposition..... sorry bad joke