• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, that'd be an improvement on last season which was barely cracking 10k a game.

To me you need to get it on more top of mind channel to improve ratings as I just forget it is on 7two as like I said about of mind out of sight channel. Not sure what answer is as not sure putting club rugby and NCC behind the paywall on Foxtel the answer.
M

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
To me you need to get it on more top of mind channel to improve ratings as I just forget it is on 7two as like I said about of mind out of sight channel. Not sure what answer is as not sure putting club rugby and NCC behind the paywall on Foxtel the answer.
M

7TWO is fairly easy to find. On most TVs you can even set yourself a reminder if you're that forgetful.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
yeah, statistically the primary channels still rate significantly higher then the extra channels, whether that's causation or correlation in regards to the content I'm unsure.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RA apparently presenting four models for the National Club Championship. https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ll-pitch-to-broadcasters-20200817-p55mkk.html

The first is a 32 team, 31 game, knockout competition over four weeks similar to the FFA Cup without the pro franchises. The second essentially the same as above but with 16 teams, 15 games, over 3 weeks. Involving teams from the 'Big 5' competitions and using the final standings of the respective comps as the the means of seedings for both.

The other two are both 8 team structures. One featuring two pools of 4 teams playing a round robin schedule top 2 from each pool progressing to the finals spanning 5 weeks. The other will feature two 'wildcard' games. Allowing the likes of SA, NT and Tas teams playoff against I imagine (it's not detailed in the article from what I can see) the bottom ranked teams from the qualifying 8.

Something mentioned is that in terms of any revenue derived from the competition will be spread across all clubs and not just those involved.

Not sure as to which one I'd prefer. May be the first. As it allows for a broader participation of clubs. Though I'd really prefer a 10 team structure involving two pools of 5 with a mix of club and rep squads. Top 3 from Sydney, Top 2 from Brisbane (all based on number of clubs), a rep squad from each involving players from the clubs not involved and rep squads the Canberra, Melbourne and Perth comps. Still would run over 6 weeks and on 2 more games than the 4th option.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Like the look of the first option too WCR, mind you I a fan of a FA cup style knockout to let not quite so strong clubs have a crack at some big boys. I believe it quite popular with soccer around the country though not broadcast (I don't think)

Number 7

Darby Loudon (17)
I like option 1 because it engages more of the country directly. The opportunity for Perth & Melbourne teams to bencmark themselves against Syd/BNE teams would be pretty enticing for those comps and add some relevance as well. And whilst you will get upset results, that is the beauty of it of knockout comps as seen with the FA cup. Everyone loves an underdog story.

It also adds impetus to the local competitions right to the end as teams will keep fighting to ensure qualification.

I would be happy models with all however I like #1 due to the broader club engagement.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like option 1 because it engages more of the country directly. The opportunity for Perth & Melbourne teams to bencmark themselves against Syd/BNE teams would be pretty enticing for those comps and add some relevance as well. And whilst you will get upset results, that is the beauty of it of knockout comps as seen with the FA cup. Everyone loves an underdog story.

It also adds impetus to the local competitions right to the end as teams will keep fighting to ensure qualification.

I would be happy models with all however I like #1 due to the broader club engagement.

It's more inclusive. My only issue is for many of the teams from the 'lesser' competitions will only have the one game. But I guess that better than not being involved. I'd actually like to see room in this competition for regional/state rep sides from country NSW/Qld and the likes of the Black Falcons/Mosquitoes and JackJumpers to be able to qualify. Via something like the NSW State Championships. Or the Queensland equivalent. Something like SA and TAs compete in the NSW State Championships alongside the country rep teams and a Sydney suburban team. NT in the Qld version.

Top 2 from each qualify. So Both Syd and Bris would see the top 8 qualify while the top 4 from Canberra, Melbourne and Perth comps.

Edit: I've just read the article again and noticed that under the first 32 team model all clubs comps will be represented. Including Tas, NT and SA. Which I think should be their respective state teams. I'd still like to see opportunities for regional rep squads to gain entrance.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Id prefer as many clubs as possible involved. Perhaps country clubs can form a rep team from all teams in their zone.

Id also prefer a small pool stage, so all teams get a few games

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
So Cricket Australia has been granted exemption to leave Australia, does this mean we can host the Rugby Championship??

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Id prefer as many clubs as possible involved. Perhaps country clubs can form a rep team from all teams in their zone.

Id also prefer a small pool stage, so all teams get a few games

I think if there's going to be SA, NT and TAS involvement that should be the model they adopt as well. REp squads should be more competitive than individual clubs. And they can select and start training early on in the season in preparation. Increase their chances of knocking off a club side from a Super Rugby base. Which is something I would love to see.

I'd also like to see NSW and Qld host State Championships featuring all their country regions plus a team from in NSW case the Subbies Union to compete to play off against the winner of each to feature in the competition.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Some revealing chat here, first catching up with Richard Tombs and then a look inside schoolboy rugby scholarships.

Michael Blucher paints what I'd call a dysfunctional picture of what's happening with the GPS in Brisbane.

The system has been around for years but the extent of the issues seems wider than what I was aware.

Here's the article he wrote for inQLD about it:
https://inqld.com.au/opinion/2020/0...lboy-rugby-became-big-business-in-queensland/

He has some excellent points, but I honestly have no idea how you go about reforming that school system.