• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Lets keep Rob Clarke in as CEO and work on getting WA Rugby and Twiggy supportive of this as do believe this would be in best interests of all rugby states. I get the angst against Rob Clarke as puppet under the previous regime but done good work and if you trust Hamish then you have your control valve and Hamish wants him to stay.

Surely most would rather keeping status quo then the names of the alternatives put up....

Someone needs to start a change org petition to keep Rob Clarke.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Lets keep Rob Clarke in as CEO and work on getting WA Rugby and Twiggy supportive of this as do believe this would be in best interests of all rugby states. I get the angst against Rob Clarke as puppet under the previous regime but done good work and if you trust Hamish then you have your control valve and Hamish wants him to stay.

Surely most would rather keeping status quo then the names of the alternatives put up..

I can't support anyone from the RA who did not speak out against Clyne. We are better off by far without Clarke. No spine or no morals, take your pick.

Forceright

Allen Oxlade (6)

Surely most would rather keeping status quo then the names of the alternatives put up..

ROB CLARKE!! You have got to be freaking joking! He’s shredding incriminating bits of paper in RA office as we speak!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I can't support anyone from the RA who did not speak out against Clyne. We are better off by far without Clarke. No spine or no morals, take your pick.

ROB CLARKE!! You have got to be freaking joking! He’s shredding incriminating bits of paper in RA office as we speak!

It's just Hawker/Pulver 2.0. Shore Old Boy Mosmania

And I think this article is so relevant to what we've seen in rugby boardrooms over the past 2 decades.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the...t-of-corporate-australia-20200830-p55qo0.html

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Based on what I have read about Twiggy's views, Clarke is one, albeit only one part, but a significant part, of why Twiggy has no interest in working with the current RA Board. I am still trying to work out why the TT etc is still the key conversion when you should be securing income security as a priority with a domestic competition and build outwards rather then ride the COVID wave internationally and hope - or rather hope your bubble does not burst! ;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Whist I have the milk crate out, I just don't get what RA are trying to achieve? There is a pretty clear narrative around sport both here and abroad ATM that if you can find a bubble, it comes with additional costs. So there is balance of how many team your carry, how many games you play, and are the games yielding a return or just dead rubbers to let the non performing teams play. So a 8 to 10 team Domestic comp may be a really good balance both in product size, game yield and cost. RA has this option available to them.

Both the NRL and AFL are looking on how to cut costs and is abundantly clear is there is little revenue around; the sponsor dollars are tough to find and TV has no money to splash about.

Yet, there is a bloke, who is not short of a few dollars, has his own team (that we currently need) and potential competition, is personally investing in to rugby to support it and has a business that could through a few dollars in sponsorship Rugby's way but RA have very limited ties with him.

IMHO, I don't see any better funding source out there for Rugby (and I bet the ARL and NRL fantasise about having the opportunity to knock on Twiggy's door!). If twiggy want his own way so be it; if it means the sport survives and its future is semi-secure I say we should asking what he wants to do (oh how sad would it be to see the current regime ended! :cool:).

He also has the ears of the Kiwis so it might strengthen the position of Aussie rugby in any future TT conversation.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Whist I have the milk crate out, I just don't get what RA are trying to achieve? There is a pretty clear narrative around sport both here and abroad ATM that if you can find a bubble, it comes with additional costs. So there is balance of how many team your carry, how many games you play, and are the games yielding a return or just dead rubbers to let the non performing teams play. So a 8 to 10 team Domestic comp may be a really good balance both in product size, game yield and cost. RA has this option available to them.

Both the NRL and AFL are looking on how to cut costs and is abundantly clear is there is little revenue around; the sponsor dollars are tough to find and TV has no money to splash about.

Yet, there is a bloke, who is not short of a few dollars, has his own team (that we currently need) and potential competition, is personally investing in to rugby to support it and has a business that could through a few dollars in sponsorship Rugby's way but RA have very limited ties with him.

IMHO, I don't see any better funding source out there for Rugby (and I bet the ARL and NRL fantasise about having the opportunity to knock on Twiggy's door!). If twiggy want his own way so be it; if it means the sport survives and its future is semi-secure I say we should asking what he wants to do (oh how sad would it be to see the current regime ended! :cool:).

He also has the ears of the Kiwis so it might strengthen the position of Aussie rugby in any future TT conversation.
What school did Twiggy go to?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If the Force are included in the competition moving forward, wouldn't they expect to have the same deal in terms of funding etc?

That's probably the crux of the problem. RA still can't afford to fund the additional team but is it reasonable to say to the Force that you can be part of it but you won't get any of the broadcast dollars that we fund the other teams with.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If the Force are included in the competition moving forward, wouldn't they expect to have the same deal in terms of funding etc?

That's probably the crux of the problem. RA still can't afford to fund the additional team but is it reasonable to say to the Force that you can be part of it but you won't get any of the broadcast dollars that we fund the other teams with.
Yes? in the short-term anyway.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
100% Clarke has gotta go.
It's just Hawker/Pulver 2.0. Shore Old Boy Mosmania

And I think this article is so relevant to what we've seen in rugby boardrooms over the past 2 decades.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/the...t-of-corporate-australia-20200830-p55qo0.html
Rob Clarke certainly seems to be doing an ok job in the interim, I suspect he’s being guided by McLennan, but regardless if you/didn’t know the history he looks good from the outside.

However, there is plenty of baggage there and if RA is to progress it needs a completely fresh start.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the ARU dodged a bullet

South Sydney remain keen to retain Joseph Sua'ali'i but have rejected the teenage prodigy’s demands for a new five-year deal that includes get-out clauses in his favour.
The saga that has been the cross-code battle for Sua'ali'i’s signature took a fresh twist when the youngster’s handlers asked the Rabbitohs for a long-term contract - one from which Sua'ali'i could extricate himself in seasons 2023-5 if he so chose.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ra...clause-in-five-year-deal-20200915-p55vyw.html

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Just reading into it I’d say he is looking to stay in league till he hits his straps then deflect to union for big money

Hopefully he screws league around and takes them to bank for a few years then comes to us

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Just reading into it I’d say he is looking to stay in league till he hits his straps then deflect to union for big money

Hopefully he screws league around and takes them to bank for a few years then comes to us

It has a Quade type ego all over it to me, the guy hasn't even fired a shot

Now if we have him talking about himself in the third party in interviews and about his brand we have moved into deeper levels of hell