• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is a good summary of where he's been for the last 20 years.

He's shown almost no interest at being inside the tent.

A couple of years ago he thought they should make him head coach of the Waratahs despite no involvement in anything over a long period of time and no relevant experience.

His MO for years has just been to have a dig when things aren't going well but offering absolutely nothing constructive to help solve the problems at hand.
He's an ex-winger for christ sake!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
What I think I've found most revealing in much of the rhetoric around the future of Rugby in Australia is how poorly people are able to separate correlation and causation in their thinking, how willing people are to postulate on such a poor foundation of factual rigor and/or total disregard for the multitude of variables in their desire to oversimplify. Throw in egos, politics, agendas and here we are.

I mean some of the chatter is interesting on a pub chat level and definitely captures the zeitgeist by representing the level of dissatisfaction those who love the game (us) currently have, but I'd really love the discourse to shift up a notch and maybe move on from the emotional, mud flinging and spraying of ideas that lack much depth of thought.

A clear plan that is well articulated with concrete measures of success would be a good start. Not vague statements towards improvements and/or to get better, but clear goals which people commit to coupled with an clear vision which directs all decisions would be nice.

The simple reality is that Rugby is a professional sport in a competitive local market which runs on revenues that are a fraction of the competing sports. It has a multitude of challenges in youth participation and engagement (and interest) relative to other sports which means that it needs to be smart in how it cultivates and attracts the potential athletes and the interest of the public which have an array of other options. I really hope there is some honest, open discourse that happens with all the stakeholders that provides a way forward minus all the politicking. The more public the better in holding all to accountability.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

Great article. Both Byrne and Anderson have same thoughts re Super teams - not necessary to cut one. They (and other commentators) have changed my mind and I don't see it as necessary either. I think we are starting to see fruits from the Melbourne pathway, and I think it would be a mistake to exit WA. The NRL is looking to expand to 20 teams in the next 10 years. One thing is for certain - if there is no Force, there will 100% be a Perth NRL team.

It is borderline criminal how much Rugby IP we have let walk out of our doors and not listened to over the last twenty years.
Some interesting insights.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)

Great article. Both Byrne and Anderson have same thoughts re Super teams - not necessary to cut one. They (and other commentators) have changed my mind and I don't see it as necessary either. I think we are starting to see fruits from the Melbourne pathway, and I think it would be a mistake to exit WA. The NRL is looking to expand to 20 teams in the next 10 years. One thing is for certain - if there is no Force, there will 100% be a Perth NRL team.

It is borderline criminal how much Rugby IP we have let walk out of our doors and not listened to over the last twenty years.
I can't forget a chat with Topo after a function, during Eddie's last coming when our scrum was shit, he offered to help out with scrummaging skills for nothing and was told he was not needed. Soon after, we were nearly pinged off the park at scrum time in the UK - Eddie's history of odd ideas..

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
What I think I've found most revealing in much of the rhetoric around the future of Rugby in Australia is how poorly people are able to separate correlation and causation in their thinking, how willing people are to postulate on such a poor foundation of factual rigor and/or total disregard for the multitude of variables in their desire to oversimplify. Throw in egos, politics, agendas and here we are.

I mean some of the chatter is interesting on a pub chat level and definitely captures the zeitgeist by representing the level of dissatisfaction those who love the game (us) currently have, but I'd really love the discourse to shift up a notch and maybe move on from the emotional, mud flinging and spraying of ideas that lack much depth of thought.

A clear plan that is well articulated with concrete measures of success would be a good start. Not vague statements towards improvements and/or to get better, but clear goals which people commit to coupled with an clear vision which directs all decisions would be nice.

The simple reality is that Rugby is a professional sport in a competitive local market which runs on revenues that are a fraction of the competing sports. It has a multitude of challenges in youth participation and engagement (and interest) relative to other sports which means that it needs to be smart in how it cultivates and attracts the potential athletes and the interest of the public which have an array of other options. I really hope there is some honest, open discourse that happens with all the stakeholders that provides a way forward minus all the politicking. The more public the better in holding all to accountability.
Molman, great post but this level of rationality has never shown it's face since McQueen left...

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

You gotta be kidding me! On top of all the crap news this week, we get this drop on us. Ok, sure, he's a good player, had a union background, but surely dropping this lure in the water is just going to bring the sharks circling, rather than the intended target. Who in their right mind would leave a lucrative NRL gig for the circus that is Rugby in Australia?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I really hope that the actual people in charge of the various parts of the game in this country can come together and agree on a way forward. Our problems are fixable but egos and historical rancour needs to be left at the door for the good of everyone.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Think the timing is a bit odd from a bloke (McLennan) whose from a marketing background.

But I'd say this is good news. It's an 800k deal, not 1.6m which I'd say is pretty reasonable for an Origin/Australian representative. With Kerevi on the way out due to age, 12 is a real problem position for us, so I'm pretty pleased. Gus is an absolute weapon, had some challenges off-field this year but he could be a top tier international centre. Also pleased if he is going to the Force.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Think the timing is a bit odd from a bloke (McLennan) whose from a marketing background.

But I'd say this is good news. It's an 800k deal, not 1.6m which I'd say is pretty reasonable for an Origin/Australian representative. With Kerevi on the way out due to age, 12 is a real problem position for us, so I'm pretty pleased. Gus is an absolute weapon, had some challenges off-field this year but he could be a top tier international centre. Also pleased if he is going to the Force.

I've not ever seen Angus play, so you reckon he's a centre? He played in the back row at school didn't he?

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
I have taken it upon myself to execute protocols visa visor structural reform pertaining to a Centralised system for Rugby Australia.

Diagrammed below (in red) is the location of the Centralisation Hub:

Screen-Shot-2016-01-15-at-2.46.21-pm.png

Following the 2023 Rugby World Cup all Australian Rugby players are to report there immediately and await further instructions.

Hamish, that'll be 50k thanks, yes, usual account.

--D.P.

Goosestep

Syd Malcolm (24)

You gotta be kidding me! On top of all the crap news this week, we get this drop on us. Ok, sure, he's a good player, had a union background, but surely dropping this lure in the water is just going to bring the sharks circling, rather than the intended target. Who in their right mind would leave a lucrative NRL gig for the circus that is Rugby in Australia?
Someone who’s gonna walk into the wallabies, … probably be one of the faces of the game $… then head to France for a pay day to finish up

GPSlads

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm curious how they intend to hold John O'Neill and Bill Pulver responsible for this mess. Egg their house?

The crazies coming out of the woodwork suddenly has been somewhat eye opening eh.
Wasn’t John Oneill one of the ones who tried to centralise all of Aus rugby back in the day ..Only to be voted down by the state teams?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I have taken it upon myself to execute protocols visa visor structural reform pertaining to a Centralised system for Rugby Australia.

Diagrammed below (in red) is the location of the Centralisation Hub:

38011800_10155418426596296_936668488209006592_n.JPG

Following the 2023 Rugby World Cup all Australian Rugby players are to report there immediately and await further instructions.

Hamish, that'll be 50k thanks, yes, usual account.

--D.P.

FIFY

HooperPocockSmith

Bill Watson (15)

Not sure where the original article came from. But courtesy of John Murray, former Easts President.

My thoughts - 18 would be a bridge too far. It's interesting to see the numerical breakdown. Though, it's probably an over-simplistic analysis.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Not sure where the original article came from. But courtesy of John Murray, former Easts President.

My thoughts - 18 would be a bridge too far. It's interesting to see the numerical breakdown. Though, it's probably an over-simplistic analysis.

Has John taken a few head knocks?

Let me get this right...

Instead of 5 teams... 18! And the crowds will "swell" because - rugby good?