• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
How on earth did you highlight the difference in approach if you didn't (and still won't) talk about what rugby is doing in comparrison? Then you come in afterwards and say rugby shouldn't be copying it an apparently it's "near impossible for rugby to copy"?

At the end of the day if you can't frame it in the context of what rugby, and Australian rugby in particular, is or should be doing then I can't see how it's particularly relevant to this forum.

He doesn't know the answer mate, but the young need to replace the old.

That's what I got out of it all. Oh, and apparently we've only been talking about these issues for five years.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
At the end of the day if you can't frame it in the context of what rugby, and Australian rugby in particular, is or should be doing then I can't see how it's particularly relevant to this forum.

Exactly.
Pointing out other leagues that are succeeding is pretty easy; dissecting how that success is relatable and transferable to Australian rugby is the hard part, and the part which is largely missing in this discussion.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I'll have a crack.

What a lot of the most popular leagues and teams globally seem to do well is create an attachment to individuals, not just the team/competition. Maybe it's a chicken or egg thing - having top level 'superstars' certainly helps with fan connection - but I don't think it's wild to suggest that more could be done to help foster this.

I was having this discussion with a mate the other day - you can buy an individuals's jersey (with name and number) for just about every other major sporting team or code, but not rugby (union or league for that matter). Looking at NBA as an example again, some combinations of name, number, and team have their own lore that also gives insight into the person wearing it. Rugby is obviously more limited due to the numbering being position-based, but I don't think the point is entirely moot.

Some of the Wallabies' WC social content has been pretty good and starting to show the players' personalities, but there's definitely more ways to go. Formula 1 (both the organisation and the teams themselves) do it very well imo - the vast majority of the content is about the drivers and their personalities. Granted, this is much easier when you've only got two people to promote (excluding other staff who have their own followings, e.g. Toto Wolff).

Funnily enough, reflecting on it now, I think this is something the Reds' did very well in the ~2011 era - they hitched their wagon to a core group of marketable and already popular players, and went all in for as long as they could with branding, advertising, and merch. Guys like QC (Quade Cooper), Digby Ioane, Genia, Higgers, Radike, and the Fainga'a twins all did heaps of marketing, featured on the 'My Reds Family' bumper stickers, and had their own merch lines; QC (Quade Cooper) had a shirt in the members packs, Radike had afros handed out to members of the crowd, I'm pretty sure the twins did something twin-related, Digby had the breakdancing turtle thing, etc.

I couldn't say what the best methods to build these individual attachments are, but I think it's definitely something to start thinking about.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Exactly.
Pointing out other leagues that are succeeding is pretty easy; dissecting how that success is relatable and transferable to Australian rugby is the hard part, and the part which is largely missing in this discussion.
We already solved it in the 'where to for Super Rugby' thread anyway. Just waiting for the administrators to brush up on their reading.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
IMG_9099.jpeg

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Then why have you written 16 novels worth of words since writing the above
Because people keep arguing with a simple logic, Australian rugby is old and in general not connecting with the young.

One of the few codes to connect is the MLS in the US. I made the mistake of putting up some of their vids, and stating they are different .

I see the non connecting with youth as the biggest issue Australia rugby has, its ballooned from there.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
In the spirit of I will just leave this here from before and in the broader sense of gamesmanship being displayed, i will leave this.

In the youtube search bar type, Alestrom - Anchor

BTW Alestrom is a group and Anchor is only part of the song title, but it should open up the song.

Enjoy

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Because people keep arguing with a simple logic, Australian rugby is old and in general not connecting with the young.

One of the few codes to connect is the MLS in the US. I made the mistake of putting up some of their vids, and stating they are different .

I see the non connecting with youth as the biggest issue Australia rugby has, its ballooned from there.
I've enjoyed the vids you posted and I think there is value in what you're saying.

I have a young man playing junior rugby and, in watching the boys in his teams over the last 5-6 years, it's been interesting trying to work out why some kids play, what keeps kids coming back and how to get more kids interested.

From what I see, I think sometimes we over-think these things and try to re-invent the wheel. Perhaps the reality is that kids today are looking for the same things kids - and parents - have always looked for. Perhaps what some of these other codes are doing is giving kids, and people in general, somewhere to:

hang out with their friends and family
have fun
feel valued
be challenged
enjoy success
learn to deal with failure
be a part of something

In saying that, I do think people are looking for something different from previous generations - authenticity. The gimmicks and flash and tricks of the past don't cut it anymore.

I know some people will be pissed off at me for saying this but that's why I was so personally turned off by EJ (Eddie Jones) leading up to the world cup and also why I found him actually likeable after the Fiji loss. To me, the BS and the pageantry were turned way down and instead, we got something that looked and felt more real and honest.

Last edited:

half

Alan Cameron (40)
That's uncalled for.
Don't worry mate, these are same posters who argued a NDC was a bad idea and that SA would not leave the Tri Nations.

I doubt they watched any of the vids because as I posted its near if not totally impossible for AR to copy what the MLS in these vids did and within 2 min 30 sec of the first vid i.e. Atlanta vid its beyond obvious why it can't be copied. However the way football is promoted in the vid, and remember these were made 7 to 10 years ago, I find so well done. Its how to connect to a preidentified demographic group in this case Millennials .

I put it up to highlight how they did this part anyway.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
I've enjoyed the vids you posted and I think there is value in what you're saying.

I have a young man playing junior rugby and, in watching the boys in his teams over the last 5-6 years, it's been interesting trying to work out why some kids play, what keeps kids coming back and how to get more kids interested.

From what I see, I think sometimes we over-think these things and try to re-invent the wheel. Perhaps the reality is that kids today are looking for the same things kids - and parents - have always looked for. Perhaps what some of these other codes are doing is giving kids, and people in general, somewhere to:

have fun
feel valued
be challenged
enjoy success
be a part of something

In saying that, I do think people are looking for something different from previous generations - authenticity. The gimmicks and flash and tricks of the past don't cut it anymore.

I know some people will be pissed off at me for saying this but that's why I was so personally turned off by EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) leading up to the world cup and also why I found him actually likeable after the Fiji loss. To me, the BS and the pageantry were turned way down and instead, we got something that looked and felt more real.
Thanks for watching, its interesting in the vids they talk about culture over coffee, and they show hardly any part of matches, I doubt this would appeal to say people in there 60's, for most of this demographic its the speed, the tries the hard hits etc.

This vid was made 7 or 8 years ago, can you imagine this vid being made within an Australian context. What has this got to do with promoting professional soccer. Looks nothing like any advertising Australian sports do, looks more like a panel discussion on the ABC's Drum show.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

have fun
feel valued
be challenged
enjoy success
be a part of something

I know some people will be pissed off at me for saying this but that's why I was so personally turned off by EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones) leading up to the world cup and also why I found him actually likeable after the Fiji loss. To me, the BS and the pageantry were turned way down and instead, we got something that looked and felt more real and honest.

Agree with pretty much every word of that mate. First and foremost, playing team sport is about being out there with your mates having fun. The high-performance stuff and getting the most out of yourself comes later.

I think if we first and foremost keep young boys and girls running around with the footy in consistent numbers and then do the talent ID right, good players will bubble up to the top. The key then is getting our coaches the right tutoring to help develop them into the best players they can be. The results will be what they'll be at that point.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
@LeCheese good point about players names etc on jerseys, and believe the ABs?NZR are going down that line next year, or sometime , part of players agreement, as if you use name etc , player involved has to get a cut from what I understand, and think they are just working out details.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
@LeCheese good point about players names etc on jerseys, and believe the ABs?NZR are going down that line next year, or sometime , part of players agreement, as if you use name etc , player involved has to get a cut from what I understand, and think they are just working out details.
On the downside, it will increase costs.