• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
^^^^ in fairness JON MKI was the architect, Flowers the builder and JON MKII the highly priced consultant who came in inflated the share price, emptied the bank accounts and pissed off the leave old Billy with a shit sandwich dressed up. His problem is he has never told the truth about it and continued with the original plans instead of being truthful and said the only outcome from this path is bankruptcy. SO whilst he has a lot of culpability, he does get to share it around, including with every single individual who has sat on the board.

This is my understanding of recent history.
Pulver inherits the S18 debacle with the 5 franchises and has to become the toecutter. I think he is getting fair results given the clusterfuck he has been handed.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Pulver inherits the S18 debacle with the 5 franchises and has to become the toecutter. I think he is getting fair results given the clusterfuck he has been handed.

Isn't he touted as a linchpin for securing the (at the time) fantastic broadcast deal for this wonderful new format?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What an amazing surprise. The revolution must now await another day.

ARU.png

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I might get labelled a conspiracy theorist, but I have seen stranger things proved true but:-

I get a very strange sense that the EGM situation was a carefully managed set-up along with the approach of RUPA. I have no information to back this up just my cynicism and the pieces falling together. Just have a look at it.

1) The debacle around the 72 Hour timeline
2) Force float fan investment and big public support then ARU says it isn't just Force on the review block but the Rebels and Ponies.
3) Rebels say bullshit we'll sue your arse for more than you have. ARU says you safe, no your not, your safe....... Ponies told outright you are safe and never under consideration to be cut (too many skeletons in closet and people of importance could go to gaol if cupboard doors are not carefully guarded with non-disclosure agreements)
4) RUPA totally silent and up to this point consistently voting with the ARU/expansion plan (just give us more money F^%$^ the rest of the game) model come out with "concern" for player welfare.
5) EGM called by VRC and RUPA.
6) No resolutions of any real substance on the EGM agenda. No motion of confidence in the executive or board.
7) Pulver says I'll go if EVERYONE tells me to. How safe is that for a statement, Clyne was never going to stand so he was always safe even if this wasn't a set up.
7) EGM basically ends with business as usual and nothing of substance, except the little tid bit reported that 4/5 votes for the reduction to 4 sides.

This seems to me to have been a carefully staged event to distract from the crisis and allow the steam to run out of the campaign against the ARU. It has worked I think because Super Rugby is now in its hiatus and people are fatigued by the whole debacle. So where is RUPA now? Back to being silent and ensuring that the professional players continue draining the cow dry with the executive? Its just all to convenient and results in a very favourable outcome for the ARU in "managing" their way out of this shit storm that they have created and maintaining their positions. Nothing good for Rugby in Australia happened today.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Nothing good for Rugby in Australia happened today.

How about "Nothing at all happened today for Rugby in Australia"

I'm not sure I go with the full conspiracy theory. I do believe the RUPA and the VRU had good intentions but they were never going to get anywhere with them

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Isn't he touted as a linchpin for securing the (at the time) fantastic broadcast deal for this wonderful new format?

I still don't get it. Can someone explain to me why we were ok with 5 teams with broadcast rights at $23 million per year but then with $47 million we are under financial pressure and have to destroy rugby in one of the states.

From the SMH in December 2015

Pulver said the incremental revenue from the new media rights arrangements will enable Australian Rugby to revitalise the game at all levels.

"The ARU will have surplus funds to re-invest in the game from grassroots through to the Wallabies and to address strategic priorities to grow the game," Pulver said.

Pulver said the key beneficiaries will be the Australian Super Rugby clubs that will collectively receive $10 million, but not to be used for player payments; community rugby that can expect "double" the investment it currently gets from the ARU; Sevens rugby, non-contact Viva rugby and high performance outcomes.

Surely with that extra $24 million we should be able to keep the 5 teams easily and have enough left over for a big party.

B

BLR

How about "Nothing at all happened today for Rugby in Australia"

I'm not sure I go with the full conspiracy theory. I do believe the RUPA and the VRU had good intentions but they were never going to get anywhere with them

Why wasn't it on the agenda 'how are you choosing the team to be cut'

T

TOCC

Nah... this is Pulver agreeing to the S18 clusterfuck in 2015.. Pulvers signature is on that contract

uJZlUVxdUaZg90GXdjPFwrW77j7Zr5EyBqhPC05UlFsRKQNqUsnn4m9FrqRJFYJYphso4pyhbwAV5zfUMvq30i2K1GLsY9nOHy8-rGMMEReVRJOWEYUf8SEpGYi0kshZHfO9DucOzeuSn_9vyQVWM7mk2lczxBwzIULvVwPceq8Q9OsqHzOzf8is9ryV5R1kLZ8641PiQQ=w443-h332-nc

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So basically if we cut all the bullshit, it seems that the majority of Aus rugby stakeholders agree that there needs to be a cut of one team, and it not just Pulver (or SANZAAR,or NZRU) or the ARU board and regardless of what anyone yells and screams on internet forums, I am guessing they have the info that is required. So lets hope there gets to be some sensible debate on it, and most get in behind the game and support it.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
So basically if we cut all the bullshit, it seems that the majority of Aus rugby stakeholders agree that there needs to be a cut of one team, and it not just Pulver (or SANZAAR,or NZRU) or the ARU board and regardless of what anyone yells and screams on internet forums, I am guessing they have the info that is required. So lets hope there gets to be some sensible debate on it, and most get in behind the game and support it.

Of course individual franchises and unions (that aren't on the chopping block) will prefer to have 4 teams when it means more money and resources for them. All that tells you is that it's in their best interest. Whether that's worth all but killing the sport in another state is not their concern.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Of course individual franchises and unions (that aren't on the chopping block) will prefer to have 4 teams when it means more money and resources for them. All that tells you is that it's in their best interest. Whether that's worth all but killing the sport in another state is not their concern.

No it's not worth it, Rugby needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up and like it or not that includes keeping the two driving forces in WA and Vic that represent and help that drive. If this was not the case RWA and Vic Rugby would not be fighting so hard. Maybe it's different in NSW, QLD & ACT?

IMO, if the game is in such dire straits that it has to kill a whole region of growing grassroots rugby and money is the immediate problem then just bite the bullet and give the whole game a 10-25% haircut.
So what if we lose players to EUR or Japan, the game is going nowhere without a foundation of new young players.
Next job on the list needs to be coaching and support down to the under 6's.

Reactions: Jon

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
No it's not worth it, Rugby needs to be rebuilt from the bottom up and like it or not that includes keeping the two driving forces in WA and Vic that represent and help that drive. If this was not the case RWA and Vic Rugby would not be fighting so hard. Maybe it's different in NSW, QLD & ACT?

IMO, if the game is in such dire straits that it has to kill a whole region of growing grassroots rugby and money is the immediate problem then just bite the bullet and give the whole game a 10-25% haircut.
So what if we lose players to EUR or Japan, the game is going nowhere without a foundation of new young players.

Yeah I agree, I think it's a terrible decision and I still hope the Force's legal claim to remain holds and the ARU is forced to keep 5. But the fact the unions and franchises that aren't at risk are in favour of cutting a team isn't surprising.

My view is that Super Rugby is unlikely to survive in anything like its current form and that at some point in the next decade we'll probably have to go our own way (unless NZ change their mind about a Trans Tasman comp). Only having 4 professional teams not only abandons an entire region of the country, it makes building a successful domestic competition akin to the NRL or A League that much more difficult.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Yeah I agree, I think it's a terrible decision and I still hope the Force's legal claim to remain holds and the ARU is forced to keep 5. But the fact the unions and franchises that aren't at risk are in favour of cutting a team isn't surprising.

My view is that Super Rugby is unlikely to survive in anything like its current form and that at some point in the next decade we'll probably have to go our own way (unless NZ change their mind about a Trans Tasman comp). Only having 4 professional teams not only abandons an entire region of the country, it makes building a successful domestic competition akin to the NRL or A League that much more difficult.

Yes, as has been said elsewhere we need to build a competition in the same manner as the AFL, ARL have done. That means the base of the competition has to come from the current Club teams in Syd and Bris with add ons from Vic, WA and elsewhere.
The huge advantage that Rugby has over both AFL and ARL at the time of their expansion is that Rugby is very strong in 2 of the 3 biggest States and more importantly is strong in the other areas too.
The potential imo is for a competition to grow much faster that AFL & ARL did due to the head start that is has across the whole country.
Problem is "Vision" is in short supply at ARU HQ.

With reference to the Trans Tasman competition, don't chase them, build a strong comp and let them come to us.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
No surprise Pulver survived. He played the internal politics and shored up his numbers. Doesn't change the reality that he needs to go.

In the search for a Quality CEO, we should look away from business and focus towards professional sports management or high end public service. This is the space where you will find the talent to operate ridged governance though also integration of the delivery of sustainable social outcomes.

The ARU is just so toxic that it has to be wiped from the map. It's shit and it is highly debatable it adheres to it's own objectives in it's own policy.

1. Make Rugby a game for all – Our Community
2. Ignite Australia’s passion for the game – Our Fans
3. Build sustainable success in the professional game – Our Elite Teams
4. Create excellence in how the game is run – Our Administration

Then their are their own KPI's. Maybe Pulver will go the Tony Abbott route and say "they are not binding, only aspirational".

The Australian Rugby Strategic Plan sets out some ambitious targets for 2020, including but not limited to the following:
*356,500 participants across the three formats of Rugby – XVs, Sevens and VIVA7s
*Increase female participation rate to 15% of all participants across three formats
*Average Aus TV viewership of 100,000 for every Super Rugby match played in Aus
*Average Aus TV viewership of 1 million for every Rugby Championship match played in Aus
*Retain 100% of full season members year on year
*Achieve 1.1 million ticket sales for Wallabies Test matches over the period 2016-2020
*Achieve 1 million visits per month to Rugby.com.au and Super Rugby team websites and generate a loyalty subscriber base of 500,000
*Achieve >85% of players in national programs having graduated through state and national pathway programs
*Wallabies: win the Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup and 2019 Rugby World Cup and at all times retain top 3 world ranking
*Wallabies: ranked number one as Australia’s most recognised national team brand
*Olympic (2016 & 2020) and Commonwealth Games (2018) Medals for men’s and women’s Sevens teams30% of women in Board roles, senior management roles, and 30% women in ARU staff
*Growth of a future fund to $10 million by 2020

Sorry Bill but we have been Pulverised enough thank you very much.

http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2016/04/11/09/30/new-five-year-strategy-for-australian-rugby

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)

The ARU are over leveraged, a team cut makes sense in a cold way. There's also a player distribution argument (that is more grey than black/white). People/uniors aren't insane for voting for the cut, in fact it makes sense.

However, the ARU built these teams against advice they asked for from prestigious consultancy companies. Now people are attached to the teams and it's perfectly understandable they don't want them to go (myself included).

The ARU made an emotional decision over a business one, now they're forced to make a business decision. It's a bad look for them.

lou75

Ron Walden (29)

I think RWA should have joined the vote with VRU and RUPA to keep five teams - it is ludicrous for them to have voted for four - if the vote is a secret, then I think in good conscience, the RWA president should clear the air and reveal his vote.