• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah - what would Steve Anderson and David Nucifora know about those things huh? Look how unpopular and unprofitable Irish rugby is.

The fans don’t know want Australian Super Rugby teams beating Aotearoa teams and winning titles and producing great Wallabies who make it out of pool play.

We demand 3rd-tier quality rugby!!
Things ain't too Rosey in NZ either big fella you're favourites to go home this weekend

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
IMO, he’s the Anthony Siebold of rugby (i.e powerpoint king)
Eddie stays, Siebs gets sacked at Manly because he only signed players he shares an agent with, Eddie brings his old defense coach back to the Wallabies.

This is the timeline I'd like to live in.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah - what would Steve Anderson and David Nucifora know about those things huh? Look how unpopular and unprofitable Irish rugby is.

The fans don’t know want Australian Super Rugby teams beating Aotearoa teams and winning titles and producing great Wallabies who make it out of pool play.

Both NZ and Australia are better developing their own Domestic cup and then building a Southern Hemisphere Cup comp on top

Why would a domestic comp be 3rd tier? That’s just a bitter comment without anything to back it up

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
What about the bull crap at the start of your post where you said it's not important for young people to have opportunities to play professional rugby and you don't care what they want.
Lying about what I said only highlights your hatred of Aotearoa and its rugby. Quote me where I said the words

‘its not important for young people to have opportunities’

or STFU
Things ain't too Rosey in NZ either big fella you're favourites to go home this weekend
This is relevant how?

Oh - it again serves to highlight your NZ hatred.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Both NZ and Australia are better developing their own Domestic cup and then building a Southern Hemisphere Cup comp on top

Why would a domestic comp be 3rd tier? That’s just a bitter comment without anything to back it up
It’s 3rd tier just as the NPC is 3rd tier.

1st tier - Test rugby
2nd tier - Super Rugby
3rd tier - Domestic comp

What is bitter about that?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
It’s 3rd tier just as the NPC is 3rd tier.

1st tier - Test rugby
2nd tier - Super Rugby
3rd tier - Domestic comp

What is bitter about that?
Because a new domestic comp would be instead of Super Rugby, not below it

You might be the only person in the universe this unwavering passionate about Super Rugby

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

Giving Steve Anderson credit for the current Irish success would be like giving Eddie Jones credit if the Wallabies are good in 15 years time ffs

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Because a new domestic comp would be instead of Super Rugby, not below it

You might be the only person in the universe this unwavering passionate about Super Rugby
Abolishing the 2nd tier doesn’t make the 3rd tier suddenly 2nd tier.

Not on the playing field at least.

How do your 5 teams get better by just playing each other? Worse yet, if you spread out those players and make it an 8 team comp - as often proposed here - would any of those teams be competitive in any of the professional comps around the world like Super Rugby?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Bullrush, the domestic comp many yearn for is a modified Pro comp. Changes to our second tier.

But you are being obtuse - call it 3rd tier, quality dilution, or "pink flamingo" if it suits. It doesnt help discussion nor change the thoughts of those who would prefer it.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)

How do your 5 teams get better by just playing each other? Worse yet, if you spread out those players and make it an 8 team comp - as often proposed here - would any of those teams be competitive in any of the professional comps around the world like Super Rugby?
You’re just being wilfully ignorant at this point, as I and many others have said it wouldn’t be just playing each other, there would be a multi nations cup on top, exactly like they do in Europe

We aren’t competitive now ffs, so I hardly think we can get any less competitive. First things first is to build a sustainable comp that Australians can get behind and be passionate about. High performance can be built from there

We are talking about building the foundation of a sustainable rugby identity in Australia, and all you can think about is “NZ hatred”.

NZ rugby was better when they sold out Ranfurly Shield games, provisional pride is what they should lean into as well.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Giving Steve Anderson credit for the current Irish success would be like giving Eddie Jones credit if the Wallabies are good in 15 years time ffs
Like Wayne Smith is credited for much of the Crusader success….

If Steve Anderson and David Nucifora are shit, who are the people you are looking at and would listen to for the future of Australian rugby?

I’m happy to hear where your plan has been successful but as yet, no-one has referenced any top country or any notable rugby brain that takes this approach. You guys have rubbished the opinions of ex-Wallabies, professional coaches and High Performance Directors.

So who are your reference points?

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Well, I think a ’GPS Day‘ sounds like a top idea

perhaps I’ll write to RA

but only the ‘real’ GPS of course, not the other one.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lying about what I said only highlights your hatred of Aotearoa and its rugby. Quote me where I said the words

‘its not important for young people to have opportunities’

or STFU

This is relevant how?

Oh - it again serves to highlight your NZ hatred.
Mate go back and read it...oh you said who cares what young players want..

I don't hate NZ.. just don't think they are important to Australian Rugby..

Only pretentious argumentative Kiwi's on an Australian Rugby Forum.

I'm still waiting for you to say how we make SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) into a decent competition?

Or is your input down to saying Australian fans don't believe their teams can win.

Pathetic

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)

This is also my knee-jerk reaction, but it's less clear as Bullrush appears to be an Australian resident who contributes to his local rugby world.

All the same, I was a resident in England for 10 years and avoided pretentious Aussie argumentation like the plague. It's not a good way to win friends or enjoy life.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Like Wayne Smith is credited for much of the Crusader success….

If Steve Anderson and David Nucifora are shit, who are the people you are looking at and would listen to for the future of Australian rugby?

I’m happy to hear where your plan has been successful but as yet, no-one has referenced any top country or any notable rugby brain that takes this approach. You guys have rubbished the opinions of ex-Wallabies, professional coaches and High Performance Directors.

So who are your reference points?
The only person rubbishing opinions here is you

And you’re the one that hasn’t actually offered any solution other than ‘I read this one article about Steve Anderson where he never actually lays out any plan he just moans about not being listened to’

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Yeah, and we get buy in from the fans, who come to watch a competition with unpredictably of outcome and an Australian Champion, which generates money and eyes... which in turn gets better players and more opportunities for people to play rugby, which gets more teams and more money and more players and a better competition.

But well done champ, we will stay the course in this fucked up comp no one is watching with half the teams no one gives a fuck about.

Call it what you will but it be better then the shit sandwich we have now. And lucky for you with no kiwis in it, you won't have to watch

.. but I bet you will..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Mate go back and read it...oh you said who cares what young players want..

I don't hate NZ.. just don't think they are important to Australian Rugby..

I'm still waiting for you to say how we make SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) (Super Rugby Pacific) into a decent competition?

Or is your input down to saying Australian fans don't believe their teams can win.

Pathetic
Yep….so you can’t quote me saying

‘it’s not important for young people to have opportunities to play professional rugby’

What I actually said was
“Who gives a fuck if a young chap wants to play professionally. Half of the boys running in 1st XV probably want to be playing professionally. The question is are they good enough to play professionally? The NRL has always had (and probably always will have) more opportunities than rugby in Australia and yet that didn't stop Australia from being, at a minimum, top 3 in the world for probably close to two decades.

I have no problem with how many professional teams Australia wants to have so long as we have the talent to fill them.

The issue isn't so much having enough teams, it's having proper talent ID to try and retain the best talent early.”

Providing opportunities to young people with talent and work ethic instead of just young people who want it and get it largely to make up the numbers to fill whatever your desired number of professional teams.

Yes - you do hate Aotearoa rugby which is why you make up bullshit about what I’ve said.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The only person rubbishing opinions here is you

And you’re the one that hasn’t actually offered any solution other than ‘I read this one article about Steve Anderson where he never actually lays out any plan he just moans about not being listened to’
So you have no one else to reference? No example of where your largely domestic-only plan is effective?