• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
5:55pm kickoff in Perth, sunset 5:51pm - the aerial shots of the stadium will look amazing.

The afternoon kickoffs worked well for Allianz Stadium in Sydney - was that the Ireland test a few years ago, in the old stadium? - because you can make a day of it around Paddington and surrounds. Not sure that works so well for Homebush.

Late afternoon kick offs at this time of year here in Perth are awesome.

LevitatingSocks

Chris McKivat (8)
You've obviously never had the fun of playing 4th grade. We were blessed taking the dew off the ground most winter mornings, now you want to shift games to be even earlier?

May as well just roll straight from Friday night drinks to the rugby ground at this rate!!
Rather disconcerting when you're half-awake on the receiving end of a kick and the pill slides on the morning dew when it hits the ground 2 meters in front of you instead of the typical bounce.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Im sure the fact its the last year of a broadcast deal before renegotiations occur has begins have nothing to do with accomodating what’s in the best interest for Nine TV ratings

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The joys of the lower grades that better players never experience. Nothing better than playing less than 8 hours after finishing your last schooner.

SouthernX may know the character known as "Santa" at West's... Many games he would crack a black rat before kick off. I was in awe of the 50-60 year old who would still give you a solid amount of weight in the scrum!

And the 90’s…

The 00’s…

And two years ago.

I can definitely say it didn't happen here. You would have a bye if the Wallabies were playing on a Saturday when club games are on. Didn't matter if the Wallabies played in the afternoon or evening. This was under 10 years ago.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can definitely say it didn't happen here. You would have a bye if the Wallabies were playing on a Saturday when club games are on. Didn't matter if the Wallabies played in the afternoon or evening. This was under 10 years ago.

No, they definitely happened...

Two years ago when the Wallabies played the Boks on a Saturday afternoon in Adelaide there was club rugby being played at the same time in Queensland.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think he’s talking about it being played in Brisbane at the same time.

It has clashed before a few times - back in maybe 2014/15 there was an arvo test in Sydney and I remember it was GPS v Wests at Sylvan Rd so everyone hopped over to the Regatta to watch.

In that instance I believe Shute Shield games were played on a Friday or Sunday and didn’t actually clash with the game in the same city.

My memory could be a bit off on that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think he’s talking about it being played in Brisbane at the same time.

It has clashed before a few times - back in maybe 2014/15 there was an arvo test in Sydney and I remember it was GPS v Wests at Sylvan Rd so everyone hopped over to the Regatta to watch.

In that instance I believe Shute Shield games were played on a Friday or Sunday and didn’t actually clash with the game in the same city.

My memory could be a bit off on that.

Australia played France on a Saturday afternoon in 2014 in Sydney when there were Shute Shield games on...

I think the where is largely irrelevant though - the Wallabies have played Saturday afternoon tests when there has been club rugby being played at the same time on several occasions.

If the clubs don't want to clash, then reschedule.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Australia played France on a Saturday afternoon in 2014 in Sydney when there were Shute Shield games on...

I think the where is largely irrelevant though - the Wallabies have played Saturday afternoon tests when there has been club rugby being played at the same time on several occasions.

If the clubs don't want to clash, then reschedule.

You're right, it's the clubs fault. The clubs that feed the players into the system. They're the problem.

I think where it becomes irrelvant though is comparing 2014 to 2024. The Wallabies and RA have completely lost our trust since then and I imagine viewership numbers in those 10 years will prove that. So what's the best way to win everyone back? Organise a test match at the same time as the final round of club rugby!

You've got your head in the sand if you think rugby core supporters, particularly in Brisbane, are happy with this.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You're right, it's the clubs fault. The clubs that feed the players into the system. They're the problem.

I think where it becomes irrelvant though is comparing 2014 to 2024. The Wallabies and RA have completely lost our trust since then and I imagine viewership numbers in those 10 years will prove that. So what's the best way to win everyone back? Organise a test match at the same time as the final round of club rugby!

You've got your head in the sand if you think rugby core supporters, particularly in Brisbane, are happy with this.

So, move the test to Adelaide?

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This is brain dread logic mate

Rugby Australia treat their sub paying playing group like absolute mugs when it’s grassroots club rugby and schoolboy footy filling the coffers of RA.

How about working with the club and schoolboy competition ahead of time so we can schedule league wide bye round?

I think Slims comment was silly but I also think this reaction is overblown to Wallabies scheduling an afternoon game

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I think Slims comment was silly but I also think this reaction is overblown to Wallabies scheduling an afternoon game

what’s overblown about it.

grassroots rugby has never been stronger IMO. Colts teams across the comp with depths. Grades going alll the way down to 7ths

It be nice if Queenslanders could attend their test match considering Queensland is the spiritual heartland of rugby in this country and we always get duped on test match calander because we don’t have the stadium infrastructure to compete with Melbourne, Sydney etc

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Like I said, this isn't the first time the Wallabies have scheduled a test that clashes with club rugby, and I'm sure it won't be the last...

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
yeah ok I mustn’t be a ‘core’ rugby supporter as I’ve got no intent to watch the final QPR game of the season.

I think it's too early to tell that isn't it? I know you had mentioned earlier about possibly getting involved with GPS.

What if GPS prems need to win that game to make finals?

Regardless of whether you personally have intent or not, doesn't scheduling a game to kickoff at the exact same time as 1st grade detract from what the clubs are able to offer that day. I've had many great club nights watching the Reds and Wallabies from the clubhouse, good money for the club through food and grog sales.

Let's not forget it will be the last game played at the club grounds for the year, before finals at Ballymore. Having a Wallabies test at the same time means club supporters who might ordinarily rock up and put money through the canteen and support the club, won't be there.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Yes, for all the bleating over club rugby - we’ve played plenty of test matches on Saturday afternoons in the past…
Bleating is such an evocative phrase.

1713401622039.gif

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think it's quite the ultimatum 'if you don't like it then reschedule'. However, RA's objective is to get as many bums on seats as possible at the ground and to enhance the experience. Just as day tests aren't all that friendly for 1st grade players night tests aren't all that friendly for those with young kids. It's impossible to cater for all levels of grassroots, and there is also the objective of dodging the NRL game on the TV, and in this case perhaps attract the crossover audience.

At the end of the day the clubs will sort out what to do amongst themselves based on the collective attitudes of themselves and who they are playing and the facilities available to them. Whether that means playing 1st grade on a Friday night or Sunday, or having 2 fields going on Saturday and having everything done by 2pm, or whatever. Clubs reschedule games for all sorts of reasons, a Test Match is hardly a new one.