• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
You’re right. Not as if he’s going to play a game of Shute Shield. Club affiliation at the Tahs didn’t make a difference on where they sent them out to junior clubs over the last few weeks

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He will go where his mates are - doubt it will be Colleagues though so I’m tipping Easts, especially as he has settled there

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
He will go where his mates are - doubt it will be Colleagues though so I’m tipping Easts, especially as he has settled there

Double Bay apparently. I have a mad keen Roosters fan at work who keeps abridged of all things Roosters to the point he knows how their Tasha Gale team is going. That's the U19s Girls comp.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
Not sure if it‘s true anymore, but apparently a legacy of the game going professional was a RUPA requirement that Rugby Australia/Super Rugby teams couldn’t dictate which club players played at. It reflected the balance of power at the time.
Last year Force changed the club the Callen boys were affiliated to halfway through the season from their junior club to one that made the top six

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ho...wn-bid-to-keep-Sua'ali'i-20230401-p5cx9g.html now the chief league reporter raising the q of Nathan Cleary down the track ... fair that every off-contract superstar will probably leverage Rugby AU in future negotiations, but if the comp can get there would be silly not to attract the best footy players in Aus for a 2 year crack at a home world cup

Muzza

Herbert Moran (7)
It’s really showing that the current salary cap is what’s killing super rugby for the Aussie teams . They can’t compete with the overseas teams and nrl . Raise the cap, Which would help the super teams keep the talent in Australian rugby . Hopefully that happens over the next few years

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
It’s really showing that the current salary cap is what’s killing super rugby for the Aussie teams . They can’t compete with the overseas teams and nrl . Raise the cap, Which would help the super teams keep the talent in Australian rugby . Hopefully that happens over the next few years

RA put a cap in place to protect teams from themselves after bailing out a number of the unions in the past. It really comes down to if each union can be trusted.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
The cap is a problem, but it exists as it currently is because the money isn't there to spend more. Can't raise it without more money for the super rugby grants from RA.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm 100% confident the optics of Sua'ali'i joining Two Blues would be better received than joining Easts by everyone but those clubs in the East who were trying to recruit him.
I see both points of view, but if he’s going to go back to his roots it will be Eastwood. If he’s like most players being rational and basing it on where he lives it will be Easts - the fact that Archer Holz and Teddy Wilson, along with some other classmates, are at the latter will also have some influence.

Last edited:

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't really get the angst expressed over this issue with marquee players that EVERYONE knows will almost certainly never play club rugby. I mean, if they get a photo of him in Two Blues, or Eastwood or other colours, will it make any difference to game attendance, or indeed anything?

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Suppsedly, it’s good for the juniors clubs if the stars come down to training occasionally, sign a few rugby balls etc

To be fair, I’m not sure he ever played that much for his junior club(s) anyway. It’s common that the leaguie sponnos and other stars get wheeled out only around State Reps/Champs times, displace some local kid who goes every week and then disappear again afterwards, hopefully (presumably) with a ‘Gen Blue’ tick against their name.

You’re supposed to play a certain number of club games to qualify for Rep games, but that rule is flaunted, from what I can see.

So, it’s not like he’d have any particular allegiance to one club probably - and so could go anywhere.

Hooper, for example (and in contrast) is a bit of die-hard local grassroots guy and has always turned up for his original team. Can’t imagine him doing anything other than nominating for Marlins.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Suppsedly, it’s good for the juniors clubs if the stars come down to training occasionally, sign a few rugby balls etc

To be fair, I’m not sure he ever played that much for his junior club(s) anyway. It’s common that the leaguie sponnos and other stars get wheeled out only around State Reps/Champs times, displace some local kid who goes every week and then disappear again afterwards, hopefully (presumably) with a ‘Gen Blue’ tick against their name.

You’re supposed to play a certain number of club games to qualify for Rep games, but that rule is flaunted, from what I can see.

So, it’s not like he’d have any particular allegiance to one club probably - and so could go anywhere.

Hooper, for example (and in contrast) is a bit of die-hard local grassroots guy and has always turned up for his original team. Can’t imagine him doing anything other than nominating for Marlins.
Surely he can go do junior clinics at multiple clubs

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes indeed. Eastwood (for example) has several junior clubs under its umbrella, as do all of them.

also, they make the Tahs go out to various clubs as well.

So, I was simply agreeing that he doesn’t need to ‘go’ to any one club, unless he’s passionate about that club for a reason, or perhaps because the bosses made him go there.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't really get the angst expressed over this issue with marquee players that EVERYONE knows will almost certainly never play club rugby. I mean, if they get a photo of him in Two Blues, or Eastwood or other colours, will it make any difference to game attendance, or indeed anything?
The game of optics from the 1% of rugby fans who actually care is an ongoing issue for the game. The vast majority of fans don’t care and those who do only worry about soft power play in a perception war against other clubs. Where he aligns will have almost 0 impact on the fortunes of code as a whole.

It’s the same for general issues in society, we dedicate far too much influence and time on issues that truly don’t matter and have no bearing on the 99%.