• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yes ultimately but not necessarily directly.

Increasing participation among women and girls will bring more fans to the game paying to attend Wallabies test matches etc. I don't think it really matters that the top end of the women's game isn't really revenue generating at this point.
I'm a bit ambivalent on this argument. I don't think it's compelling although I don't outright dismiss it. Is there any proof this has happened elsewhere?

Nnot relating to the women's game but go ask all the players who play rugby on the weekend if they watched more Super Rugby matches than NRL matches - 80% will tell you NRL. A lot wouldn't even watch 1 Super game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm a bit ambivalent on this argument. I don't think it's compelling although I don't outright dismiss it. Is there any proof this has happened elsewhere?

Nnot relating to the women's game but go ask all the players who play rugby on the weekend if they watched more Super Rugby matches than NRL matches - 80% will tell you NRL. A lot wouldn't even watch 1 Super game.

From my observation the gender mix at Waratahs and Wallabies games has shifted substantially over time. There are a lot more women in attendance than there used to be.

It's clearly a very difficult thing to objectively measure but I don't think that happens purely from interest in the professional men's game and nothing else.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I'd suggest that has a fair bit to do with 1) accessibility and 2) the way Super Rugby is managed by the Unions. The first has been improved with the FTA component but still the bulk of the content is locked away behind a paywall. The 2nd not so much. Super Rugby is still viewed a an extended trial format for the national team. Small improvements have been made but there is still a long way to go in terms of marketing and promoting it as a stand alone product designed to add value as an entity itself.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I'd suggest that has a fair bit to do with 1) accessibility and 2) the way Super Rugby is managed by the Unions. The first has been improved with the FTA component but still the bulk of the content is locked away behind a paywall. The 2nd not so much. Super Rugby is still viewed a an extended trial format for the national team. Small improvements have been made but there is still a long way to go in terms of marketing and promoting it as a stand alone product designed to add value as an entity itself.
I would suggest that super ugby will always be viewed as an extended trial for national teams etc. It's a fact of life that we all watch sport with an eye how players will do at higher level. This very thing happened in NRC (and NPC in NZ), happens in league I have no doubt the local leagues are watched with an eye to who can play NRL etc. I think you find , and always have that a lot of players etc are just that, play the game, but don't actually watch it too great amount. And that was even case before Super etc was around, I know some players/supporters would play/attend a club game and not really a test match on same day. I have talked to people who played in England etc, said they played for their local clubs, but while having a championship team etc they followed , quite often never watched, as they had moved on from the game for the day etc.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Re the Payne Haas rumours and conversations, does anybody else think it’s interesting that McLennan is going after the NRLs biggest headline generators?

McLennans background is in media, and Haas is an incredibly controversial player, with his families and his own incidents in the public eye quite frequently.

Most casual NRL fans have pretty strong opinions on him, and any News article shared to Facebook generates hundreds of comments as a result.

Methinks half of the touted salaries for these players are written off as buying media space. Sualli has already paid for himself in that regard, with Gould fuming over it and clips of that going viral all over Tik Tok and Instagram. Willie Mason has spoken about Rugby Union on his podcast in the last 12 months than he probably ever has in his life.

If McLennan publicly went after Cameron Murray, it’d probably be better for the Wallabies on field performance. But would it generate this interest? Probably not. Everyone would say “fair enough, he’s great. He deserves the big bucks and I hope he goes well”.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Re the Payne Haas rumours and conversations, does anybody else think it’s interesting that McLennan is going after the NRLs biggest headline generators?

McLennans background is in media, and Haas is an incredibly controversial player, with his families and his own incidents in the public eye quite frequently.

Most casual NRL fans have pretty strong opinions on him, and any News article shared to Facebook generates hundreds of comments as a result.

Methinks half of the touted salaries for these players are written off as buying media space. Sualli has already paid for himself in that regard, with Gould fuming over it and clips of that going viral all over Tik Tok and Instagram. Willie Mason has spoken about Rugby Union on his podcast in the last 12 months than he probably ever has in his life.

If McLennan publicly went after Cameron Murray, it’d probably be better for the Wallabies on field performance. But would it generate this interest? Probably not. Everyone would say “fair enough, he’s great. He deserves the big bucks and I hope he goes well”.
I think this is probably 60-70% of it. He knows its mutually beneficial at the moment as the Jail Rugby players enjoy being able to apply a Rugby Levy to their negotiations and RA keep their names in everyone's mouths. It has also let Eddie get into the Rugby side of it with the WC fast approaching.

I think this has also identified to a lot of players and managers that Rugby can be a legitimate option for you and it's worth a conversation. Could be the best coffee chat of your life either way

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Interesting looking at Rugby Australian's annual reports from pre-covid until now, RA still hasn't achieved pre-covid Broadcast rights or Sponsorship levels, although they should exceed it from 2025 when RA and NZRU implement the joint broadcast agreement deal and Stan broadcast rights are up for renewal.

Rugby Australia
1682658146464.png

NZRU over same period, adjusted for AUD/NZD exchange rate:
1682658014583.png

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting looking at Rugby Australian's annual reports from pre-covid until now, Rugby Australia still hasn't achieved pre-covid Broadcast rights or Sponsorship levels, although they should exceed it from 2025 when Rugby Australia and NZRU implement the joint broadcast agreement deal and Stan broadcast rights are up for renewal.

Rugby Australia
View attachment 15794

NZRU over same period, adjusted for AUD/NZD exchange rate:
View attachment 15791
Those figure show what a Lion's tour is worth don't they?