• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
My proposal, mix Super Rugby and NPC and you get the new Super Rugby

10 Kiwis teams
5 Aussie teams
Drua and Moana

You get more games, you spread the quality Kiwi talent to more teams so even Force and Rebels will be competitive against them

The Aussie derbies have been quite entertaining in recent seasons, especially this year. The problem is that you are always smashed by the Kiwis

A larger and more entertaining competition is a win/win for NZ and OZ. With that format in 10/15 years you could match to the NRL
Good in theory, but I don't really want more teams and players that I'm not really interested in.

Reactions: dru

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Here's one from right at the top of the wishful thinking pile...

English Prem is screwed financially, Welsh regions in dire straits. Add 8 English teams to existing URC, 24 teams.

16 team Super Rugby comp (add Tasman & HB).

Then 40 teams playing a (8 groups of 5, so 4 fixtures each and finals) World Champions Cup in June/July.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Fox Sports trying to push an article about possible Sua'ali'i release at the end of this season.

I wonder if RA would pickup the deal a year early? If the Roosters want to release him early (and I doubt they will) they'd need another party to jump in to bear some of the salary cost.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/8b83874ebeeed3a5cad34221af2956b9

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
My proposal, mix Super Rugby and NPC and you get the new Super Rugby

10 Kiwis teams
5 Aussie teams
Drua and Moana

You get more games, you spread the quality Kiwi talent to more teams so even Force and Rebels will be competitive against them

The Aussie derbies have been quite entertaining in recent seasons, especially this year. The problem is that you are always smashed by the Kiwis

A larger and more entertaining competition is a win/win for NZ and OZ. With that format in 10/15 years you could match to the NRL

The kiwis will turn around and justifiably ask for more of the tv/streaming rights because they have more games. As a result, you'll have a greater divide between Aus and NZ in terms of player development and financial.

5 Kiwis
5 Australian
5 Japanese
1 Fijian
1 Combined PI

There's roughly 26 weeks between the start of March and the end of August that you need to fill with matches and content.

If you play everyone twice, that's 32 rounds.

Play everyone once (16 rounds) + have a "country" champion were you play your conference twice its 21 rounds. That gives you 5 weeks made up of 3 weeks of winter internationals + 2 bye rounds before you play finals in September. (Hopefully I've done my math right, I'm running on 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep)

Finals can then be whatever format you want. Or, we could be bold and follow the 7's and do a "plate/cup/shield" route of;

Top 4 make the "Shield" play offs, next 4 make the "Cup" play offs and the next 4 play the "plate" playoffs. That way you keep fan engagement right until the end as your team could be playing for something which mirrors European football of qualifying for Champions Leage/Europa League or staying above relegation.

It'd take some drastic changes by all countries but the fans are already bored of Super Rugby Pacific and it's only been 2/3 years. I don't think anyone has any appetite to try anything bold or new and in particular, the current NZRU is more concerned about protecting "their" patch.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
It'd take some drastic changes by all countries but the fans are already bored of Super Rugby Pacific and it's only been 2/3 years. I don't think anyone has any appetite to try anything bold or new and in particular, the current NZRU is more concerned about protecting "their" patch.
Well I hope RA is more concerned about protecting their patch (whatever the hell that means) also as that is their job.
I do think RA's main job should be to build Aus rugby from ground up, as is NZR's with NZ rugby. If that's protecting patch and you think RA isn't doing it for RA, you need a complete clean out of your rugby board!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Dan, NZRU in recent years have demonstrated an inability to act in good faith with their business partners. Hell, they can't even act properly with their coaches and had to drastically avert a crisis of losing Robertson by appointing him while a coach is still there and could still win a WC and be tossed out.

It's always been a case of them being more concerned about keeping the status quo rather than looking objectively at the situation and realizing, a healthy competition is mutually beneficial to both parties

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dan, NZRU in recent years have demonstrated an inability to act in good faith with their business partners. Hell, they can't even act properly with their coaches and had to drastically avert a crisis of losing Robertson by appointing him while a coach is still there and could still win a WC and be tossed out.

It's always been a case of them being more concerned about keeping the status quo rather than looking objectively at the situation and realizing, a healthy competition is mutually beneficial to both parties
Yep and as I said RA are protecting their patch by insisting on more teams than depth allows instead of a healthy comp? But anyway I hope all Rugby boards do what is seen as best for their countries (and why RA is right to do it), and fans from other countries will generally see others as the villain, just how it is. Take my word for it ,I have been involved in grassroots rugby on committees etc on both sides of tasman, and I know who I think is doing the best for the game in growing it etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Nonsense.

If NZ Rugby were genuinely interested in a healthy Super Rugby competition they would have worked with RA from the onset rather than the embarrassment that was the Aratipu Report. NZ Rugby would have worked with Australian Rugby to set it up as an independent body for Super Rugby before any of this PE influence, a joint venture approach like the home nations did with the 6 Nations, now we’re stuck with a scenario of PE proxy ownership through the governing bodies.

NZ Rugby has taken the lead role in the Moana Pasifika franchise and has butchered the delivery, what started as a great concept has zero appeal to NZ rugby fan base.

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Fox Sports trying to push an article about possible Sua'ali'i release at the end of this season.

I wonder if Rugby Australia would pickup the deal a year early? If the Roosters want to release him early (and I doubt they will) they'd need another party to jump in to bear some of the salary cost.

I suppose it would depend on the numbers. But I would like to see him switch ASAP. Just for the publicity, if nothing else.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nonsense.

If NZ Rugby were genuinely interested in a healthy Super Rugby competition they would have worked with Rugby Australia from the onset rather than the embarrassment that was the Aratipu Report. NZ Rugby would have worked with Australian Rugby to set it up as an independent body for Super Rugby before any of this private equity influence, a joint venture approach like the home nations did with the 6 Nations, now we’re stuck with a scenario of private equity proxy ownership through the governing bodies.

NZ Rugby has taken the lead role in the Moana Pasifika franchise and has butchered the delivery, what started as a great concept has zero appeal to NZ rugby fan base.
NZ rugby took the lead in MP (Moana Pasifika) and Drua joining super Adam (held licenses for both), and I agree MP (Moana Pasifika) should/could play as much as possible in Islands, but we kind of stuck with status quo for now if we want a combined island team in the comp.
But anyway, we don't need to go there, all I said is RA should be looking after Australian rugby (and NZR,NZ rugby) and would be real happy if that's what both unions did, and kept out of super (as Aratipu report wanted, and NZR still does) and just concentrate on running rugby in theuir countires.
I realise it hard for Aus as thei Super teams are run by boards that actually vote in RA AGM etc, so they maybe caught between things a little. That is actually perhaps a good way forward, to even let super teams be run by seperate boards? Would it allow more freedom to look after grassroots etc?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I suppose it would depend on the numbers. But I would like to see him switch ASAP. Just for the publicity, if nothing else.
Would be quite good in a couple of ways too Wamb, as RA may not have him in budget for next year, but if was released by RL, he could probably get a good payday in Japan or France for a season while he came to grips with the nuances of the game again, then hit the ground running in 2025.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Hamish said from the outset we would take him, and more recently that we can afford him, citing the potential Lions and RWC27 revenues. Sounds like he's on $700K at the Roosters so would be a bargain to get him for around that a season early.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I've got an idea. I'm guessing the Tahs don't have room for him in 2024 but what about 7s? Olympics in 2024. If he gets released, get him on the circuit for a year. Refine his core rugby skills. He'd be brilliant.

He could even join the Wallabies for training and perhaps go on the 2024 Spring tour.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've got an idea. I'm guessing the Tahs don't have room for him in 2024 but what about 7s? Olympics in 2024. If he gets released, get him on the circuit for a year. Refine his core rugby skills. He'd be brilliant.

He could even join the Wallabies for training and perhaps go on the 2024 Spring tour.

brilliant idea.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)

I'm fairly certain the Tahs would have room in their cap if needed. Highly likely to be losing Hooper, Latu, Beale, Nadolo to name a few. With Hooper and Beale gone, that would free up enough you'd expect.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm fairly certain the Tahs would have room in their cap if needed. Highly likely to be losing Hooper, Latu, Beale, Nadolo to name a few. With Hooper and Beale gone, that would free up enough you'd expect.

1683624819035.jpeg