• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
How many families got into a groove during covid watching events at home, cooking dinner together and saving a bucket load of cash? Rugby unfortunately was already dropping down the pecking order out of the big winter ball sports and the flow on effects from covid might have put our professional competition into the death kneel.
I'm not so sure about this. Not to discount your experience but crowds for the AFL and NRL are really strong this season. I was down Lygon St on Sat night and it was absolutely pumping. The middle class are still spending big on the things they enjoy - which as you suggest might not include rugby anymore. I just disagree that cost of living is why, and I don't think rugby is any more or less expensive to attend than the other codes (although I think the ticket prices are cooked. Should be borderline free to get some punters in and make it look good visually)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Having been a part of the Reds membership program for years until recently, I’ve definitely been critical of the recent lack of engagement and the state of Super Rugby in general.

But I feel like rugby is being hit with a double whammy. Of course our game has to shoulder a lot of the blame, but geez going out to a game/night out is expensive these days.

How many families got into a groove during covid watching events at home, cooking dinner together and saving a bucket load of cash? Rugby unfortunately was already dropping down the pecking order out of the big winter ball sports and the flow on effects from covid might have put our professional competition into the death kneel.

I’m not across all the regions, but in Brisbane at least where house prices went bananas (thanks guys down south), a lot of young families who should be going to games are stuck paying off whopper mortgages, or going to games where the marketing has actually engaged with them. I even know a few blokes in their late 20s who should still be running around clubland but have opted to pocket the $650 in rego fees, save the money they’d usually put through the bar at the club and instead pay down their house.
Think you're bang on. I've been to a couple of games in the last 2 seasons and they are great fun but less than half of what I would have before Covid and with cost of everything at the moment. Could I go? Sure but I have consciously made a decision to save it. I have Kayo & Stan and I usually watch School Boy & Club on a Saturday then enjoy settling in at home with take away and beers for everyone for the price of 3 Merivale beers.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not so sure about this. Not to discount your experience but crowds for the AFL and NRL are really strong this season. I was down Lygon St on Sat night and it was absolutely pumping. The middle class are still spending big on the things they enjoy - which as you suggest might not include rugby anymore. I just disagree that cost of living is why, and I don't think rugby is any more or less expensive to attend than the other codes (although I think the ticket prices are cooked. Should be borderline free to get some punters in and make it look good visually)
Agreed.

We obviously are looking for excuses because as fans we don’t like the reality some times.

Crowds are by and large back with a bang, NRL, AFL are as strong as they have ever been with crowds. Big Bash saw some recovery in crowds last year. Super Rugby unfortunately is with the A-League in that nobody seems to care. I don’t think it has anything to do with Covid. In my eyes that excuse has well and truly sailed.

Cost of living crisis…. Maybe but then again rugby has a larger proportion of their demographic that’s wealthier than other sports, so you’d think it would impact rugby less than working class games like league and AFL, but they are having no impact to their crowds. In fact their attendance is growing in many areas.

The sad fact is nobody outside a small bubble really cares about the comp.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It's really not that surprising that Super Rugby is struggling when it is treated as a second rate comp by those than run it. If the administrators don't take it seriously why would (especially casual) fans?

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yep definitely agree the AFL and NRL have recovered far better than rugby. But I don’t know if the crowds and game day experience is back to where you think it is across the board.

I know a couple of publicans on Caxton St and they said numbers are still down compared to ‘the good old days’, and that’s with the Dolphins playing at Suncorp as well.

Back in the 2010s the Hotel La and Caxton would be packed to the rafters with club rugby players on a Saturday night regardless of whether a Reds game was on or not, now you’d be lucky to find them operating past 10pm unless there’s an NRL game on.

There are plenty of factors at play, covid and cost of living are simply contributing to the issue and it’s still mostly the fact that rugby didn’t really come back with the same vigour that the NRL and AFL have due to a lazy administration and disengaged professional competition.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
More time gets spent talking about rugby administration than rugby these days.
Much of the reason is because we have rugby forums , so we all look for things to talk about? And the game discussion can only last so long.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Geoff Parkes' take on the Marinos v McLennan turf war:

Out! Out! You dirty rotten Saffa.

We can tolerate Saffas here, but ones that want to take sound business decisions? Nice try. Off you go buddy.

This is OUR boy's club.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
We need Super Rugby to be better.

Gather round in the AFL, Storm away in Sydney and the Rebels have a bye

Magic round in the NRL, both AFL teams also not playing in Sydney that week with GWS playing a home game in Canberra and Sydney away. The Tahs are away in Townsville

Surely the Tahs should always play at home when Magic round is on
you need one less team and you need to beat the Kiwis more than they beat you.

it will be like magic

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Oh good. McLennan signed us up to this stupid fucking competition and he's not doing anything to fix it. He's not even thinking about it! God damnit, why can't we just have one guy who can run a thing involved in rugby. Just one.
Y'all fired that guy.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Having been a part of the Reds membership program for years until recently, I’ve definitely been critical of the recent lack of engagement and the state of Super Rugby in general.

But I feel like rugby is being hit with a double whammy. Of course our game has to shoulder a lot of the blame, but geez going out to a game/night out is expensive these days.

I’m not across all the regions, but in Brisbane at least where house prices went bananas (thanks guys down south), a lot of young families who should be going to games are stuck paying off whopper mortgages, or going to games where the marketing has actually engaged with them. I even know a few blokes in their late 20s who should still be running around clubland but have opted to pocket the $650 in rego fees, save the money they’d usually put through the bar at the club and instead pay down their house.
May I ask, what's the death kneel PC? Is that where you are about to lose your head?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
you need one less team and you need to beat the Kiwis more than they beat you.

it will be like magic
I genuinely do not understand how people can think like this.

So get less revenue? The whole issue of rugby is limited money from Super Rugby rights. Look at what we bring in compared to NRL & AFL.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
IMG_1478.jpg

Need to get my hands on some of these for uh research purposes

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Agreed.

We obviously are looking for excuses because as fans we don’t like the reality some times.

Crowds are by and large back with a bang, NRL, AFL are as strong as they have ever been with crowds. Big Bash saw some recovery in crowds last year. Super Rugby unfortunately is with the A-League in that nobody seems to care. I don’t think it has anything to do with Covid. In my eyes that excuse has well and truly sailed.

Cost of living crisis…. Maybe but then again rugby has a larger proportion of their demographic that’s wealthier than other sports, so you’d think it would impact rugby less than working class games like league and AFL, but they are having no impact to their crowds. In fact their attendance is growing in many areas.

Also have a large demographic that is poorer

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Agreed.

Agree

There were 25k at the Tahs opening game; what happened? Well, the Tahs have been playing like ... mostly.

Truth is, the season is short, and you don't have the luxury of multiple rounds - You have to perform from day one!

I was at the East vs Uni game on Saturday with 9 mates... ALL Tahs supporters, only 3 have been to a game this year. Granted they are all going to the Tahs vs Drau game (Which should be a good one)

Main reason is that they are all disappointed with the performance this year Ben D coped a lot of (...)

I would love to see Super Rugby teams play more games leading up to the season and at the end of the year, build momentum and turn up game 1 with 5 - 6 games under your belt. You don't have to play you A team, play some games in Japan and play the Druaagain in Dec...

Build the brand!