• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
You'll have to expand the logic for me, as you've lost me.

Does that logic change if I work in a pretty niche field where there's sub 1-2 professional rugby teams worth of people in Australia?
I think he’s trying to say that you could be replaced given time and training in your role by someone that could do 99.9% of what you do.

In sport you can’t teach 6’4, or sub 11sec or be an athletic freak. Unfortunately in sport good character, hard work and sometimes even intelligence doesn’t matter if you can’t match it physically. And yes you can be trained and taught in niche given time to learn.

Almost none of us could become athletes given time.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So a 23k stadium in Hobart wont be ready till 2028 most likely 2029 rules out the RWC going down to the apple isle. Maybe a RC test the yr that it opens. Would love to tick another stadium watching the wallabies off my list.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
So a 23k stadium in Hobart wont be ready till 2028 most likely 2029 rules out the RWC going down to the apple isle. Maybe a RC test the yr that it opens. Would love to tick another stadium watching the wallabies off my list.
Would love to travel to Tasmania to watch a game

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
We need Super Rugby to be better.

Gather round in the AFL, Storm away in Sydney and the Rebels have a bye

Magic round in the NRL, both AFL teams also not playing in Sydney that week with GWS playing a home game in Canberra and Sydney away. The Tahs are away in Townsville

Surely the Tahs should always play at home when Magic round is on

Reactions: dru

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
We need Super Rugby to be better.

Gather round in the AFL, Storm away in Sydney and the Rebels have a bye

Magic round in the NRL, both AFL teams also not playing in Sydney that week with GWS playing a home game in Canberra and Sydney away. The Tahs are away in Townsville

Surely the Tahs should always play at home when Magic round is on

No NRL on the Thursday night of Magic Round either - Tahs v Reds Thursday night in Sydney would surely draw some eyes

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
No NRL on the Thursday night of Magic Round either - Tahs v Reds Thursday night in Sydney would surely draw some eyes
Exactly we need to be more flexible with our schedule.

Equally the AFL and NRL both dropped the ball. Storm being away in Gather Round and both Sydney teams being away in magic round. So we aren’t the only code that has dropped the ball.

But surely being the smallest code we have to look to be the most adaptable to make every post a winner

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Reds v Tahs this weekend. The biggest regular-season game there is. Barely been marketed. It's pathetic.
Exactly it should have been in Sydney.

Not clashing with any club rugby and aggressively marketed. No NRL this week, No AFL this week no issues the Waratahs are in town. Probably someone in marketing could come up with something better but that’s the gist

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Reds v Tahs this weekend. The biggest regular-season game there is. Barely been marketed. It's pathetic.
The marketing for this whole Super season has seemed non-existent, outside of a weekly social media post or two, and even compared to the last few years which didn't have much presence either.

Not sure whether broader marketing campaigns (over and above social media) fall under RA's or individual teams' responsibilities (likely both to different extents), but it makes you wonder whether a more centralised approach needs to be taken.

Even little things that clubs definitely have control over, like bumper stickers in membership packs, seem to have all but disappeared - through the early-to-mid 2010s the 'We are Red' stickers were rife on the roads around BNE. Obviously other factors of public interest at play, but visibility of Super Rugby as a whole seems to have gone down the toilet.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So sad the whole Reds/Tahs thing has faded, and seemed to a few years back. Even as a supposed neutral (though wasn't really as I lived in Qld) I loved going to Suncorp for those games, Reds used to sneak in just about only win of season etc. Even Mrs Dan I remember at one game I had to tell her to calm down the booing of the Tahs with the rest of the crowd, it was a joy to be at those games.:)

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Reds v Tahs match is the canary in the mine shaft for the broader Super Rugby competition.
Why stop at Super Rugby?
RA can seemingly gain no forward momentum without dropping the ball with no apparent efforts to grow the game at all levels.
The talk is all about big ticket items such as the Lions Tour or the pending RWC on Oz.
The professional game is in chaos when the commentary is about a combined NZ/Aus draft that will NEVER happen and any solution includes crazy payments to untested League players.
Grassroots - Grassroots - Grassroots.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Oh good. McLennan signed us up to this stupid fucking competition and he's not doing anything to fix it. He's not even thinking about it! God damnit, why can't we just have one guy who can run a thing involved in rugby. Just one.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Of the 4 major codes in Australia ONLY Rugby Union does not provide attendance numbers in 2023 (and it was the same in 2022).
If there is a problem then at least expose it. No promotion of the SRP (Super Rugby Pacific). Is it any wonder the Franchises and RAu are economic basket cases??
If the new RugbyAu CEO did nothing else it would be good to see him/her allow AuStadiums to publish the attendance at SRPac games in Australia.
Check it out for yourself at AuStadiums - Australian Sports Crowds.

2 years ago Two Cents Rugby compared Super Rugby's attendance with European Leagues and the numbers from 2018 indicated that the atmosphere sucked with 40% full stadiums. Not many people travel to follow their Super Rugby team. Are the stadiums too big? Look at the fantastic atmosphere in Fiji.
It's not possible to do an update as the Aus data isn't available and even when it is the numbers appear made up.

Attachments

• Union 2023.jpg
    Union 2023.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 60
  • League 2023.jpg
    League 2023.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Soccer 2023.jpg
    Soccer 2023.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 57
  • AFL 2023.jpg
    AFL 2023.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Individual clubs release the crowd figures, Queensland Reds usually list there’s in the match report.

Austadium is like Wikipedia, they have a spot for people to post crowd figures, it has nothing to do with allowing austadiums to post figures, most Super Rugby clubs are just too embarrassed to list the figures
Fair enough. Reckon Rebels would've been lucky to crack 3,000 yesterday.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Individual clubs release the crowd figures, Queensland Reds usually list there’s in the match report.

Austadium is like Wikipedia, they have a spot for people to post crowd figures, it has nothing to do with allowing austadiums to post figures, most Super Rugby clubs are just too embarrassed to list the figures
The Tahs need to grow up and put their #s out. I sort of understood when they lacked a home ground but their attendance has been at least respectable (8-10k+) every week this season. Although the figure for the Moana game will be grim...

They got a shit home draw this season with no Blues, Crusaders or Reds.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Having been a part of the Reds membership program for years until recently, I’ve definitely been critical of the recent lack of engagement and the state of Super Rugby in general.

But I feel like rugby is being hit with a double whammy. Of course our game has to shoulder a lot of the blame, but geez going out to a game/night out is expensive these days.

How many families got into a groove during covid watching events at home, cooking dinner together and saving a bucket load of cash? Rugby unfortunately was already dropping down the pecking order out of the big winter ball sports and the flow on effects from covid might have put our professional competition into the death kneel.

I’m not across all the regions, but in Brisbane at least where house prices went bananas (thanks guys down south), a lot of young families who should be going to games are stuck paying off whopper mortgages, or going to games where the marketing has actually engaged with them. I even know a few blokes in their late 20s who should still be running around clubland but have opted to pocket the $650 in rego fees, save the money they’d usually put through the bar at the club and instead pay down their house.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Having been a part of the Reds membership program for years until recently, I’ve definitely been critical of the recent lack of engagement and the state of Super Rugby in general.

But I feel like rugby is being hit with a double whammy. Of course our game has to shoulder a lot of the blame, but geez going out to a game/night out is expensive these days.

How many families got into a groove during covid watching events at home, cooking dinner together and saving a bucket load of cash? Rugby unfortunately was already dropping down the pecking order out of the big winter ball sports and the flow on effects from covid might have put our professional competition into the death kneel.

I’m not across all the regions, but in Brisbane at least where house prices went bananas (thanks guys down south), a lot of young families who should be going to games are stuck paying off whopper mortgages, or going to games where the marketing has actually engaged with them. I even know a few blokes in their late 20s who should still be running around clubland but have opted to pocket the $650 in rego fees, save the money they’d usually put through the bar at the club and instead pay down their house.
Rebels crowds have definitely suffered due to that. I know this part is outside the club’s control but the quality of the food is worse. Food and beer is more expensive.

I go because I love the club and I love watching them play live. But I have to say I also went to the AFL yesterday and 71k just across the road to be in a crowd like that is pretty cool