• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dispute over Sua'ali'i mega-deal a factor in Rugby Australia CEO’s resignation https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...tralia-ceo-s-resignation-20230502-p5d4zg.html

(Link thingy didn't work on my phone)

The SMH saying that Hamish and Andy not quite on the same page.

Also saying Phil Kearns not running, Phil Waugh hasn't been appointed yet, still unsure of his future

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dispute over Sua'ali'i mega-deal a factor in Rugby Australia CEO’s resignation https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-union/dispute-over-Sua'ali'i-mega-deal-a-factor-in-rugby-australia-ceo-s-resignation-20230502-p5d4zg.html

(Link thingy didn't work on my phone)

The SMH saying that Hamish and Andy not quite on the same page.

Also saying Phil Kearns not running, Phil Waugh hasn't been appointed yet, still unsure of his future
Would’ve loved that this was kept quiet frankly

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I believe there was a feel in RA that we paid overs for Tupou as well. My conservative self tends to agree considering what it will do to the player market.

But then perhaps what we need is to shake things up? We need to keep / get high profile players (and actually make an attempt to build the profile of our current stars). I guess we just need to make sure we can afford them. But they all become 'assets' for PE valuation.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I believe there was a feel in Rugby Australia that we paid overs for Tupou as well. My conservative self tends to agree considering what it will do to the player market.

But then perhaps what we need is to shake things up? We need to keep / get high profile players (and actually make an attempt to build the profile of our current stars). I guess we just need to make sure we can afford them. But they all become 'assets' for private equity valuation.

I know it's been said, but the recent big-money deals have probably paid for themselves with the attention it's garnered, and don't mind paying overs to lock it down as a result.

This obviously applies to Sua'ali'i, but even for the likes of Tupou - it generated a reasonable amount of coverage at the time, and if a few hundred k more negated any negative attention or effects to morale of him taking his talent and brand overseas, then I think that's a win.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I believe there was a feel in Rugby Australia that we paid overs for Tupou as well. My conservative self tends to agree considering what it will do to the player market.

But then perhaps what we need is to shake things up? We need to keep / get high profile players (and actually make an attempt to build the profile of our current stars). I guess we just need to make sure we can afford them. But they all become 'assets' for private equity valuation.
The Wallabies and Rugby in Australia need a few names. Rugby has such a low profile its almost impossible for someone already in the game here to become the household name. A lot of people do know who 'Tongan Thor' is or at least heard of that but since Folau there hasn't been anyone really.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The Wallabies and Rugby in Australia need a few names. Rugby has such a low profile its almost impossible for someone already in the game here to become the household name. A lot of people do know who 'Tongan Thor' is or at least heard of that but since Folau there hasn't been anyone really.
Speaking of Folau, I wonder how he and his bigoted ilk feel about Sam Kerr carrying our flag at the Coronation? Heh, heh.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yep and it's not just the players, but our general media around the game are also non-starters in most households.

Love them or hate them but guys like Matty Johns, Bryan Fletcher, Gordon Tallis and Nathan Hindmarsh are household names and draw cards for most rugby league events. There is a lot of anticipation building around Magic Round in Brisbane this weekend and a large part of it isn't even due to the games themselves, people want to know what those guys will be doing/where they'll be.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)

Yeh the reports on Fox Sports are also heavily hinting this was the main cause of Marino's ressie.

Sounds like (and it's all just heresay) that Marino's was looking to play a very straight bat and keep the powder dry until RWC 2027. Whilst I don't agree with some of the 'alleged targets' in the NRL, I do think just keeping the status quo for the next 4-5 years would be the wrong move.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

their value is derived by factors beyond what exist on field, also the time that the re-signing occurred influences the value.

Those key players re-signing this year, with PE looming closer are likely to receive a bigger offer than those who re-signed last year IMO. And that’s because they’re trying to preserve/inflate the value of RA before selling a portion off.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)

On the other side of it, I'd just roll out the Argentina games and ask, what makes them think they deserve a pay increase?

Every performance review I have in the corporate world, I have to demonstrate how I met my yearly KPI's and exceeded them. Unsure how a hopeless win record helps their cause.

In any event, wasn't Suaialu's contract paid by an Old boy from Shore?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
On the other side of it, I'd just roll out the Argentina games and ask, what makes them think they deserve a pay increase?

Every performance review I have in the corporate world, I have to demonstrate how I met my yearly KPI's and exceeded them. Unsure how a hopeless win record helps their cause.

Sure, but in the corporate world there are eminently more of you than there are high profile professional Australian rugby players.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)

R.A. get criticised if good players leave

They're now criticised for paying too much to make them stay.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Just get Pridam, took over when the Swans were reigning premiers and has just spent years crying about the loss of the cost of living rort. The blokes a flog who’s achieved nothing
Ok, Eddie….
He was on the board since 2004, swans are generally viewed as a consistent and elite club with and without the cost of living, he founded moelis Australia and has grown it into a major financial player with a market cap of just under $1Bn presently. He was quite vocal in support of Adam Goodes while Eddie referred to him as King Kong….
But no one advocating for him to be CEO of rugby aus anyways so not sure the point of anti Andrew pridham sentiment here.
No to Eddie from me.Moving on.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Sure, but in the corporate world there are eminently more of you than there are high profile professional Australian rugby players.

You'll have to expand the logic for me, as you've lost me.

Does that logic change if I work in a pretty niche field where there's sub 1-2 professional rugby teams worth of people in Australia?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You'll have to expand the logic for me, as you've lost me.

Does that logic change if I work in a pretty niche field where there's sub 1-2 professional rugby teams worth of people in Australia?

The one thing Rugby Australia have to leverage to increase revenue is their star players, particularly those with a larger public profile.

It doesn't really work for them to say that because you're performing poorly we'll pay you less if they know the result of that is they lose more of those star players overseas and then have a lower quality product to try and sell to generate revenue.