• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
40,000 turned up to see the Reds Vs Brumbies Super AU final.. We have a product where if we can create a competition that has uncertainty of outcome and an Australian champion each year, fans will watch it. More fan's more money, more money more teams and players..

Top 2 can go into a champions league if we bother, but we could potentially have a comp that fan's engaged with. I don't particularly think the argument that if we don't play NZ we wont get better really matters..

Start with 6 teams if we can get the Dura, then with the 90 million debt we are going to get a second NSW team and QLD team.

I was for continuing with Super AU as well but they've locked in Super Rugby Pacific until 2030. The question for at least the next 7 years is how we get the most out of that. Perhaps it could just become the champions league, or evolve into a more condensed rep competition, but I'm not sure exactly what we're committed to.

Running_rugby_1954

Dave Cowper (27)
40,000 turned up to see the Reds Vs Brumbies Super AU final.. We have a product where if we can create a competition that has uncertainty of outcome and an Australian champion each year, fans will watch it. More fan's more money, more money more teams and players..

Top 2 can go into a champions league if we bother, but we could potentially have a comp that fan's engaged with. I don't particularly think the argument that if we don't play NZ we wont get better really matters..

Start with 6 teams if we can get the Dura, then with the 90 million debt we are going to get a second NSW team and QLD team.
Rugby Au was the most enjoyable form of rugby I have watched in the last few years just because it was competitive and we had a chance of winning. It made my kids like the game too. Now they ignore the games against NZ.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I was for continuing with Super AU as well but they've locked in Super Rugby Pacific until 2030. The question for at least the next 7 years is how we get the most out of that. Perhaps it could just become the champions league, or evolve into a more condensed rep competition, but I'm not sure exactly what we're committed to.

Not if there is not a tv deal past 2025

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
McLennan has really made some stinking decisions eh. All of the data suggested Super Rugby was a failed competition. All of it.

Suddenly, in the depths of the pandemic, we get some good TV figures and crowds to an Australia only comp. So what do? sign back up to Super Rugby for 10 fekin years.

The bloke did a good job coming in, cutting away the chaff and saving us from bankruptcy. He should have left it at that.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
NZ has hitched it's wagon to Australia by pushing SA out of Super Rugby. I think we are already seeing the effects of that with players not getting consistent quality competition to improve. And the same point I make about Australia, I will make about NZ - none of the top tier teams play domestic-only competitions. And the state of Super Rugby at the moment, it's really only a domestic comp for NZ.

Listening to Giteau on the GBRA podcast reinforced the thoughts that I have expressed on here. Players need to have competition for their spots. The depth of talent isn't here to do that right now. Having players being able to freely move between Super Rugby teams will help provide that.

Where would the Force or the Rebels be placed right now if they were in NPC? Genuine question - @Dan54 I know you watch a heap of NPC, do you have thoughts on how well these teams would go?
My take is they would be up among the top teams. I genuinely think they would be in top 4-6, and every chance of making finals. I will say there is no way it will happen, as there no way there enough money to cover the travel anyway.
I will also add with the NPC thing I very seriously doubt there is even a smidgen of interest amongst the NZ rugby public on Aus teams in NPC, it's really such a special comp to us, and we like it as it is and perhaps it would change a lot?
I still believe the free movement between super teams is a big no, as the only ones who haven't got free movement are test players, so would be paying top $s for them anyway, and would have the same complaints that it isn't fair for Aus rugby to be helping pay AB player's wages. I admit to probably being a little biased anyway, I like ABs playing for NZ teams, I think it very important that kids who follow the ABs etc want to see the players playing for their local super teams as well as the local supporters. I have no real probs with kiwi's playing for Aus teams in super, as they same as when they play in Japan or France, they are dead to me then anyway!!;):D One reason I don't like idea of picking players from overseas.
I would genuinely be happy with ABs having a gap year type thing in Aus as is sometimes done contracts of experienced , but once again money would be problem for Aus teams as they not going to play for peanuts!

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
My take is they would be up among the top teams. I genuinely think they would be in top 4-6, and every chance of making finals. I will say there is no way it will happen, as there no way there enough money to cover the travel anyway.
I will also add with the NPC thing I very seriously doubt there is even a smidgen of interest amongst the NZ rugby public on Aus teams in NPC, it's really such a special comp to us, and we like it as it is and perhaps it would change a lot?
I still believe the free movement between super teams is a big no, as the only ones who haven't got free movement are test players, so would be paying top $s for them anyway, and would have the same complaints that it isn't fair for Aus rugby to be helping pay AB player's wages. I admit to probably being a little biased anyway, I like ABs playing for NZ teams, I think it very important that kids who follow the ABs etc want to see the players playing for their local super teams as well as the local supporters. I have no real probs with kiwi's playing for Aus teams in super, as they same as when they play in Japan or France, they are dead to me then anyway!!;):D One reason I don't like idea of picking players from overseas.
I would genuinely be happy with ABs having a gap year type thing in Aus as is sometimes done contracts of experienced , but once again money would be problem for Aus teams as they not going to play for peanuts!
1. Yes. The NPC would end up being more costly. I don't have an immediate answer LOL

2. NZ rugby public wants an AB team that wins. With our boat now firmly tied to the rise and fall of the Australian Rugby tide, we need to do something to ensure Australia is competitive. A weak Aus is bad news for us in almost every way - from on-field results to future funding. I'm not sure we can just put our heads in the sand and pretend that Australia's woes won't hurt us too.

3. Player movement doesn't just restrict the current top players. It restricts any player who hopes to have an AB or Wallaby future. The biggest benefit I see in player movement is that more players have the potential to be picked up and play Super Rugby without lowering the overall standard. Out of interest, how many fringe Super Rugby players do you see in the NPC that could make a Brumbies/Red/Tahs squad? They might not be starters but they would be putting heat and competition on the top guys - like what Giteau talked about on the GBRA podcast - and getting better opportunities than waiting in NZ. Pete Samu, Christian Leali'ifano and Henry Speight boosted their stocks big time by going to NZ and playing NPC/Super Rugby. We need to be able to see more of this.

4. I don't want players picked from overseas as well. The lure of the AB jersey has kept many players in NZ but as the money from overseas gets higher, it will get harder to keep them. Hence the need for a strong, competitive Super Rugby that can demand good money for broadcast rights.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
1. Yes. The NPC would end up being more costly. I don't have an immediate answer LOL

2. NZ rugby public wants an AB team that wins. With our boat now firmly tied to the rise and fall of the Australian Rugby tide, we need to do something to ensure Australia is competitive. A weak Aus is bad news for us in almost every way - from on-field results to future funding. I'm not sure we can just put our heads in the sand and pretend that Australia's woes won't hurt us too.

3. Player movement doesn't just restrict the current top players. It restricts any player who hopes to have an AB or Wallaby future. The biggest benefit I see in player movement is that more players have the potential to be picked up and play Super Rugby without lowering the standard. Out of interest, how many fringe Super Rugby players do you see in the NPC that could make a Brumbies/Red/Tahs squad? They might not be starters but they would be putting heat and competition on the top guys - like what Giteau talked about on the GBRA podcast - and getting better opportunities than waiting in NZ. Pete Samu, Christian Leali'ifano and Henry Speight boosted their stocks big time by going to NZ and playing NPC/Super Rugby. We need to be able to see more of this.

4. I don't want players picked from overseas as well. The lure of the AB jersey has kept many players in NZ but as the money from overseas gets higher, it will get harder to keep them. Hence the need for a strong, competitive Super Rugby that can demand good money for broadcast rights.
Mate I not saying I got answers, but a couple of points you mention
Players that play in NPC and are fringe Super players can go and play in Aussie now(Chase Tiatia,Olly Sapsford, Tamiti Tua off top of head) , and we have had and still do have Aus super players playing in NPC (Kalani Thomas ), I have no probs etc with any of it. I don't really believe Aussie super teams' supporters want their players in NZ super teams either.

I know our boat is firmly tied to Aus rugby, yet I wonder if reports suggesting the Jaguares being invited back to super has got legs and if so why?

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
On another note, can someone explain to me how the CEO of RUPA can be employed by Stan?

Like, imagine if Clint Newton was the sideline correspondent for Nine/Fox. I would've liked to have seen how that panned out during the media blackout.
How many times you asked this across multiply threads? Im assuming you haven't been answered and just keep banging on about it..