• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Putting aside the Japan shit, I would imagine that trying to fire for cause and avoid a lot of payout seems dangerous unless there's deliberately been a "maintain win % of x%" or "qualify for for quarters" clause sounds like a fight lawyers would love.
Even if there was you could imagine the arguments about insufficient time to prepare being a distraction. Assistants leaving etc etc...

Different but look at what Manly is going through with Des Hasler at the moment. Didn't hit the targets to trigger an extension but they are using the fact a number of distractions caused by the Club impacted results.

It will end in settlement. RA better be saving some cash for it

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'll also say that I'm not anti-Eddie - if the post season review basically finds that he did the best he could with the shit show that he inherited, and that he is the bloke to take us forward and fix things, then I'll fully get behind him. He certainly inferred at the presser the other day that there are major systemic issues with the code and our players, as we all know. I'm merely trying to read the current state of play from Phil's interview.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
That 2GB interview doesn't paint a good picture of Waugh - says it would've been disloyal of Eddie to have taken the interview (and potentially a breach of contract) but refuses to talk to the Japanese union to find out.

I've never been a big fan of Waugh as CEO but doesn't anyone think he's anyone but a lightweight at this stage?

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
That 2GB interview doesn't paint a good picture of Waugh - says it would've been disloyal of Eddie to have taken the interview (and potentially a breach of contract) but refuses to talk to the Japanese union to find out.

I've never been a big fan of Waugh as CEO but doesn't anyone think he's anyone but a lightweight at this stage?
No! Waugh is doing the right thing. What could the Japanese say? The only end result is against what Japanese and presumably Australian interview processes are.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Not if he hasn't met the performance criteria, and if failing those means he can be cut loose without cost beyond the normal entitlements. The salary numbers are different for the next 4 years compared with this year, so the contract 'extension' may well be contingent on meeting the KPIs, whatever they are. You would think making it out of the Pool stages would have been one of those though.

Obviously none of us know the particulars. But I doubt Eddie would have tethered too much of his base salary to KPIs. Bonuses, extensions etc yeh quite possibly. But I skeptical there is a scenario where RA can flick Eddie without cause and not pay him a lot of cash.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I kind of thought the same thing. These were thoughts that should be kept in house instead of getting into a potential proxy war with the coach after Jones made it very clear he is not an administrator mate.

I can also look at as a CEO actually not just putting up with the same old shit and maybe he won't be afraid to ruffle some feathers.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why can’t we ask Japan about it? I thought we had this amazing relationship with them?

IMG_4417.png

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sounds promising. That Australia A v Japan XV series was awesome. Hopefully gives our guys more game time at a high level.

If Eddie helps get a foot in the door, great. Still don't trust him.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Why can’t we ask Japan about it? I thought we had this amazing relationship with them?

Quite possably because of confidentiality reasons. Do any current employers and prospective employers have the right to exchange information without the consent of the employee? It's almost impossible to give a true reference now. Large Companies now (my experience is limited to Banks and Financial Services organisations) usually only give the dates that the employee worked there and that they left of their own volition.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
And let’s not forget it was his poor defensive read that cost us the RWC 03

I’m not normally a fan of blaming a single player for a loss, but am willing to make an exception in this case, since he’s now also cost us the RWC 23 as well

Burn him!

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
So it has taken me awhile to get to this stage but maybe we start to look at positives for a change.

What does Eddie do for the next 9 months? I assume he has a full time contract so doesn't just piss off on holiday for most of this. Understandably the short time he has been with the team so far has been 100% focused on getting the team up for the world cup which was a disaster.

So the next 9 months I assume he will spend this trying to help fix all of the bigger issues, spending time with the Super clubs, the Women's game etc. Maybe this is the part Eddie is good at and can actually make a difference and some improvements ?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Apparently the review into the RWC is about to start. You would think he should be apart of this or at least required for parts of it.

I'd say he is due time off to then be in his seat come the proper start of pre season around December when the squads are full. Probably a good thing for him as well to attempt to take a break from it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'd say he is due time off to then be in his seat come the proper start of pre season around December when the squads are full. Probably a good thing for him as well to attempt to take a break from it.
He's off to the UK to coach the barbarians alongside Scott Robertson at the start of November.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'll also say that I'm not anti-Eddie - if the post season review basically finds that he did the best he could with the shit show that he inherited, and that he is the bloke to take us forward and fix things, then I'll fully get behind him. He certainly inferred at the presser the other day that there are major systemic issues with the code and our players, as we all know. I'm merely trying to read the current state of play from Phil's interview.
:confused: