• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Born, sure but where you play Rugby from say 13-18 is extremely relevant. Brumbies 16s for example got beaten 50/5 by NSW & 60/12 by QLD.

The reality there though is that the overwhelming majority of our players will continue to be schooled in Sydney and Brisbane. At younger ages the tiny population of the ACT is far more relevant.

Their under 16s beat the Rebels and drew with the Force.

At schoolboys level I'd still say the ACT are punching above their weight.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting article today that link into the one posted above.

That sounds an awful lot like a CEO who is saying Chairman (and/or board) stuffed up bad, almost like he getting ready to lead a coup??
McLennan has been shouting about all the NRL players etc wanting to jump ship and RA can afford them with all the PE money and the cash from Lions and WC etc, and his CEO is saying we can't afford it!
And if the Roosters boss is in anyway right about Suali or whoever he is going back to league after sucking up the coin, RA is a bigger clown show than many on here are even saying!

Wilson

David Codey (61)
David Hanham (QRU CEO) was SEN Radio talking about centralisation

In short they remain open to high performance centralisation, in particular citing player contracting models and data sharing/coaching alignment, but RA still has a hell of long way to go in terms of actually detailing, presenting and selling a model of centralisation, even on the high performance side. Commercial centralisation however is a complete non starter.

More broadly there's particular annoyance that RA has put the cart before the horse and announced this without any semblance of a plan, or buy in across the states.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I’m glad to read that. Good on him for having it in him to call it out.

“It’s not just all about money. You don’t want to be attracting people just because of the money and then you don’t have the environment sorted out.

Put the hammer back in the shed until he just fucks off.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This is good from Waugh. It's definitely time to leverage up his position against McLennan and the board while McLennan is getting roasted in the media.

One of the biggest problems for years has been the inability for the CEO to stand up to the board and just allow the board to provide strategic direction without putting their grubby fingers on everything.

People are employed by the organisation to fulfil particular roles. Let them do them.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Yes great by Waugh.
The signing was a mistake
Money not spent on youth where the real battle is. Inflates player expectations. Is JS actually going to get more excitement than Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) generates now? Jorgo in 3 years?
Personally wouldn’t complain if JS said inwant out and they let him go.
Take that $5M and lock in some 16-18 year old talent

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Further to this, everyone sees Waugh's history in rugby as being a weakness in the appointment but I think there's also the potential that it is a really strong attribute.

The combination of his previous RA board experience and likely support from former players who are either in actual positions of influence (i.e. Herbert on the board or Roff as President) or just people close to the game like Horan and Harrison etc. could be very helpful in letting him push things a bit harder than some of his predecessors.

When push came to shove previously the various CEOs never really had any allies on the board.

Take that $5M and lock in some 16-18 year old talent

It's very likely that money isn't there for another purpose.

It still holds true though. Even if some benefactor wants to throw stupid money at recruiting a league player, it can't be considered in a vacuum. There are very obviously downsides in the perception of it even if it is spending someone else's money.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
I genuinely don’t know the answer to this but does the ACT produce a lot of super players or wallabies? I think there’s been a few but curious how the area stacks up. I’d assume WA is the laggard of the 5. Melbourne seems to be doing well due to PI population.
Greagan, Larkham, Giteau for a start.
Lonergans x 2, McInnerney, Rory Scott, Mack Hansen, Tom Ross. Want a few more?

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The ACT produced heaps of Super Rugby players and Wallabies…

AAA, Frost, Swain, Tom Hooper, Michael Hooper, Rob Valetini, Nic White, Lolesio, Ikitau, Tom Wright just to name a recent few.
Not one of these players is from the ACT though they are just Brumbies...

You are a very sensitive bunch sometimes my gosh haha I think the original question was just genuinely wondering how many rugby players are from the ACT. To which the answer is about as many as you'd expect given it's got a small population, a dedicated and great community rugby setup and a good professional team. Produced some all timers down to journeymen. Not everything is a dig.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
When does production start?

ACT has a tiny population but does have a very good record with developing young players. Their under 19 team was the best in the country this year.

I don't think it is overly relevant where players are born or grow up.
The Melbourne Storm complex

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
The question turns out to be more complex with layers like an onion.
Queensland tend to have interstate players at High School. Examples past Digby Ioane, WA boys in Reejsan Pasitoa and even from Wollongong in Blake Schoupp.

Or say Charlie Hancock from ACT goes to Sydney Uni post HSC and then EPS and finally Western Force.

The Brumbies seem to sign Brisbane /Sydney boys post High School. Examples Swain & Lolesio or when unwanted Angus Staniforth.

They seem to fit in seamless and become Royals, Uni/North, Wests, Eagles, Queanbeyan or Vikings

What I fear is that the NSW cabal will deem all Brumbies players requiring a 'higher standard' of rugby and that JID would be elbowed for Shute Shield.

Last edited:

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
More broadly there's particular annoyance that Rugby Australia has put the cart before the horse and announced this without any semblance of a plan, or buy in across the states.
Is this not something that has happened a lot since Hamish took over, making statements etc before he has actually got a plan sorted.
I think some centralisation would be great for Aus rugby, but I would also think a pretty sound plan how it would work would also be handy when selling it to the States.