• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Playing devil's advocate here - TD isn't beholden to RA/Wallabies to withhold news. His role is to report news etc when it breaks. He's beholden to his employers to do his job.

Maybe he could have waited? But then, some other journo would have reported it, and his employers would have asked him why.

How about the day after the game? Wasn't it an exclusive? No one else reported it. Has he ever written anything positive about rugby?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How about the day after the game? Wasn't it an exclusive? No one else reported it. Has he ever written anything positive about rugby?

It's only an exclusive until someone else reports it...

But I felt like we went over this months ago.

It's incredible that people still believe a person in his profession should have waited, or that his editor would've allowed that, for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with them.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
You know what would have stopped Tom writing the article?

Not being an absolute dick and taking a job interview right in the middle of a WC campaign.

Can't write about something that never happens.
Most accurate response yet. Don't shoot the messenger.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Even Cheika turned down the Reds interview (arrogant or not) because he was focused on the Argies.

Can we fixture Japan annually and make it an absolute must win for the Wallabies. Pay them bonuses for stomping the Blossoms.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Makes me sad that Eddie loves being up against it, was coaching his dear Australia, home world cup, Lions series, had a chairman ready to fight for him, knew he'd have to eat all this shit if he pulled out but saw the state of things were sooo bad that it's still worth ducking out. Must be dire.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Playing devil's advocate here - TD isn't beholden to RA/Wallabies to withhold news. His role is to report news etc when it breaks. He's beholden to his employers to do his job.

Maybe he could have waited? But then, some other journo would have reported it, and his employers would have asked him why.
That's not devils advocate - that's the rational view.

I don't see how any of this isn't Eddie Jones fault. Dude's a fucken dog.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
That's not devils advocate - that's the rational view.

I don't see how any of this isn't Eddie Jones fault. Dude's a fucken dog.

There is absolutely no question that Eddie Jones is to blame, I'm just questioning the timing of the reporting what impact it may have had.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Plenty of League Journos were quick to jump on Rugby for the tackle height saying it's their last gasp but its being done now through English Rugby League from Junior - Senior Amateur competitions. Will filter up in some capacity to the English Championship then Super League.

Key changes being introduced in English rugby league​

• Legal contact lowered from shoulder height (below the neck) to armpit (below the shoulder) at community and age grade levels, taking in Super League’s reserve grade competition
  • Contact below the shoulder is recommended to be introduced at professional level - Super League - from 2025
  • Match limits in a 12-month period to restrict possible concussion exposure
  • Contact rugby league to be replaced by touch/tag progressively until 2026, when under 9s and younger will play non-tackle rugby league

Yep. And having watched the explainer video in practice the RFL tackle rules will be the same as ours.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Eddie Jones destabilised the Wallabies by interviewing for the Japan coaching job on the eve of the world cup. Tom Decent did exactly what he's employed to do, he reported the news.
Which is great, I just wish he’d stick to that and stop trying to be a pundit in between stories

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
After all the shit we've been through with Eddie in last few months, anyone who still questions Tom Decent's whistleblowing on that story and timing needs to uppercut themselves. He's an Australian hero.
Lol calm down with your "Australian hero". He wrote a story about a bloke taking a job interview - which had already been reported in the Japanese press. Its not exactly Watergate or the Panama Papers.