• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Rugby / RA

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
It's a very tricky situation if RA let the $$$$'s rule then the ACT our most successful Super Rugby team for a fair while disappears, and the players go to other franchises who have proven they cannot build their own talent ie Tahs.
I agree with Dru that we need to maintain our 5 Super Rugby teams, how to do that is beyond my pay grade.
No Australian team is successful. Making the finals is not success. Not winning a title since 2004 is not successful.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
No Australian team is successful. Making the finals is not success. Not winning a title since 2004 is not successful.
I agree with you but I was referring to the state of Australian rugby by my words our most successful, I don't think you can deny that. The lack of Super Rugby success is a disgrace. Tahs win 9 years ago, as WCR states, only serve to highlight how poor our teams' skill set, coaching, planning, fitness and general preparation have been over the last 15 years. The achilles tendon issues only made things worse.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a very narrow definition of success, Sully. By that measure there has been only one successful side in Super Rugby over the best part of the past ten years.

I would contend that the success of the Crusaders (the only side that consistently wins the damn thing) has been detrimental to the success of the other sides in Super, and to the enjoyment of the fans.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah sure, Brumbies voting on McLennan to be sacked had nothing to do with their very public debate they had with McLennan over RA’s centralisation plans. Likewise QLD. Believe that if it helps you sleep

Anyway that’s all in the past now and doesn’t change what I’ve said above the risk faced by the Brumbies going forward.
And, of course, events have shown just how wrong they (the Reds and Brumbies) were in moving against McLennan.

So, no vote. Then it looks like the disagreement with the undefined move to centralisation was at the initiative of the Reds and supported by the Brumbies. It wasn't a vote that never happened by the Brumbies that killed off that non-proposal.

I have no disagreement with your view that the Brumbies, and others most notably the Rebels, are at risk.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I almost missed this nugget among the news of the Rebels’ woes…

RA’s comments are hardly surprising given the Victorian Government is set to win the rights to host the World Cup final in 2027 after throwing millions at hosting the once-in-a-generation event.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
And, of course, events have shown just how wrong they (the Reds and Brumbies) were in moving against McLennan.

So, no vote. Then it looks like the disagreement with the undefined move to centralisation was at the initiative of the Reds and supported by the Brumbies. It wasn't a vote that never happened by the Brumbies that killed off that non-proposal.

I have no disagreement with your view that the Brumbies, and others most notably the Rebels, are at risk.
McLennan got what he deserved and had both of them not voted I assume that he would still be there. When you get a manager like McLennan who is all big stuff with no little stuff, it is running at a brick wall and they either break through or break and he broke, thanks to Brumbies and Reds.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
Being consistently competitive over three decades is success. As Brumby Runner said, winning titles can't be the only currency because only the Crusaders seem to be able to do it.

Any talk of a Brumbies-Rebels merger needs to be shut down asap. If the Rebels go, don't alienate a second fan base by diluting the Brumbies brand.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
its about which state govt gives out the biggest cheque more likely
Maybe the Vics have a cancelled cheque left over after they euthanised the Comm Games?

If these jokers can cut a cheque for the big event, then maybe they should help keep their local team alive ...