• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys and National Championships 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ageing Parent

And NSW 1 currently up 39 to not many against Combines States.............with not long to go.

Match report from someone please - when possible.

Thanks

an observer

Herbert Moran (7)
NSW 1s def CS 39-14. Hard game, lots of injuries. Will leave the match report to the 'experts', will be interesting to see what they have to say.

R

relborG

"From what I heard Barclay wasn't good at all! he and the other centre let through alot of attack through poor defence, or bad communication..."

Bit of a problem that one. They will get carved up by QLD 1 if they remain the starting centres.

Not 100% sure of the guys on the bench but in order to stiffen them up a bit i would put Vaux at 12 - at least he will tackle! (player of the tournament at 16s nationals last year - playing at 15), put Roye on the other wing for Carroll. What pos is Notoli? Can he play 13?

In the forwards not many options. I am surprised if the starting 4,5,6 and 7 struggled against VIC physically as they are all very aggressive physical players. Kovacic in particular is a niggly piece of work and he's not small. Perhaps he had an off day. I am not surprised if the other forwards struggled as i have seen them go missing before. Sio is great going forwards but he soon disappears when the heat comes on. Possibly bench Sio and put Dempsey at 8 and bring Kennedy in at 6 and play a really quick agressive backrow. I think the front row is seriously under gunned whomever they put in there...

Totally agree with your observations re McIntyre! How the faaarrk did he not get picked somewhere yet the GPS 2s 10 did.

Yeah mate, Natoli can play 12 very well, i think thats what he is playing in the Sydney U17 squad?

C

Casnovian

Novotel Australian Schools Rugby Union Championships Day 2 Results at Ballymore Stadium, Brisbane

POOL A

NSW I 39 (Nathan Scarano 2, Saia Tanginoa 2, Mitchell Whiteley, Brogan Roads tries, Clint Gutherson 3 con 1 pen) defeated Combined States 14 (Mark Baldwin, Paul Asquith tries, Chris Smith con, Tom Banks con)

WA 23 (Josh Eisenstrager, Richard Hardwick, Brad Lacey tries, Luke Burton 1 con 2 pen) defeated QLD II 7 (Samu Kerevi 1 try, 1 con)

POOL B

NSW II 31 (Harrison Orr, Angus Le Lievre, Fabian Natoli, Nathan Roye tries, Angus Le Lievre 4 con 1 pen) defeated ACT 19 (Jordon Read, Jake Helgesen, Rob Gillispie tries, Luke Morrison 1 pen, Andrew Robinson 1 pen)

QLD I 44 (Maile Ngamuno, Ben Meehan, Kahele Bowen, Grant Davies, Feao Fotuaika, Caleb Timu tries, Sam Greene 4 con, 2 pen) defeated VIC 10 (Eddie Maka try, Stefan Prelevoc 1 con, Niua Puaka 1 pen)

Pool Standings after Day 2

POOL A NSW 1 (10); Combined States (5); WA (4); QLD II (0)

POOL B QLD I (10); NSW II (6); VIC (4); ACT (0)

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Well Day 2 has been competed and I saw 3 and half good games today

NSW 2 v ACT

This was a good win for NSW 2 over a game ACT. The first 15 mins did not look good for NSw 2 as it was played within 30 meters of the NSW line. Too many poor options and mistakes made sure ACt could put some pressure on. The NSW defence was up to it and ACt came away with just 1 try in this time. From the resultant kick-off NSW were able to secure the ball and Harry Orr scored out wide to level the scores. From here NSW gained more confidence and began to compete at the breakdown. The result was a halftime lead of 21 -12. The second half was an even contest mainly due I think to the changes made by NSW at half time.

In the first half Pat kennedy was the best forward for NSWplaying at 6. He was in everything both in attack and defence. He was supported well by big prop Batho, Harry Orr (playing 8), Jack walters and the hooker Jones. Natoli started the game at half back and was providing good service and was a popping up everywhere. In the backs, yes, the introduction of Vaux a N0.10 and moving Horwitz to 12 was a success with more solid defence in the middle and a better flow of ball to the outside backs. Out wide Nathan Roye was very powerful and producing some blockbusting runs. He shouldn't be starting on the bench in any future games. Le Lievre was joining in well and providing room for the wingers. At half time Batho, Kennedy and Jones were replaced and shortly after Natoli went off with a bleeding ear. From this time the momentum of the NSW forwards was lost and the NSW second half performance, while still good and better than Monday was not as good as the first half.

For ACT I thought their 13, like on Monday, was very strong both in attack and defence. He is a solid player with a few brains about him. The 11 was also very quick and his positional play was good.

NSW 1 V Combined States
I was really looking forward to this game as CS played very well on Monday. From the start NSW forwards were committed to controlling all aspects of forward play. They scored early through a good maul from a lineout close to the CS line. From here it was all NSW except for CS also scoring a good try from a maul set up on the NSW line. Half time I think the score was 24-7 with the nSW forwards playing well as a pack and controlling the breakdown and providing good ball for Wessels to use. The centre combination at the start was the original selection of Stewart and Scarano. The ball movement was smooth and fluent. NSW scored a good try from countering a kick from CS where their spped and combinations were put on show. After half time changes were made after 10 mins and these changes did not alter the way NSW were playing showing the strength of the bench. Roods scored a good try after using his size and speed to finish off some good ball movement from about 20 meters out. In the end the final score was 39-14 to NSW and they have now to get past QLD 2 (who haven't won a game) to get into the final on Sunday.

Best for NSW I thought were in the forwards - all produced good games but the work rates of Broome and Dombkins were substantial and Calcagano, despite giving away some penalties, was strong. In the backs Saia Tanginoa was awesome. He is strong at contact and very hard to tackle. He was rewarded with 2 tries today. Scarano was also very good taking good options and running good lines. Jack Deb and Wessels were controlling things in the midfield. Purcell had some classy touches when he came on

WA V Qld 2
This game produced the player performance of the day. The 2 sides were losers on Monday and each went out to try and get their first win. The performance of the WA openside, Richard Hardwick, who I think is the WA captain, was outstanding. His work in all aspects of the WA play was instrumental in the good WA win. He got numerous turnovers and supported all his players at all times. He played himself to a standstill and got the chance to score a try at the end but unfortunately the 50 meters he had to run after stealing a ball fell about 1 meter short. He didn't get the win all on his own and his forwards rallied behind him. Ric Le Roux who had the no. 20 on his back and played 8 was also strong in his play making a couple of telling breaks and working hard in defence. In the backs the No 12 Luke Burton started well but got a cut on his head and was replaced. The half back pat McCarthy also played well.

As for QLD2 it hard to say what is wrong with them. They try hard and started the game well putting plenty of pressure on WA but when WA withstood this and then scored the QLDers seemed to lose heart. QLd would take the ball into a breakdown and start to build phases but in the end WA wouldeither get a turnover through some strong counter rucking or get a penalty that would put the QLD side back on their heels. The final score I think was 23-7 to WA.

Qld 1 V Vic
I only watched this game until haf-time (SOO night so had to leave early) and QLD were in front 17-3. In the first half the QLD forwards were again very strong and were controlling things well. Their back line is quick and if given space will cause some headaches. I would like to see the backs put under some pressure in defence as I think they might be bit iffy in this regard. In the half I saw I thought he 5/8 Davies was having a good game. Vic were competitive and the score was a little misleading.

Games on Friday see ACt v Vic (Vic to win), CS V WA (hard to call but if CS can play like they did on monday i see them just winning), NSW 1 V QLD 2 ( going by results NSW should win this and win comfortably to progress to the final but given it is a NSW/QLD game this is a danger) and QLD 1 v NSW 2 (QLD 1 too big in the forwards and too quick in the backs - NSW won't give in easy though). This will set up a great match between two very similar teams in the final on Sunday.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Ducked out of work to have a look at the Qld 1 v Victoria game, with the final score being 44-10 in Qld's favour (or thereabouts).

Fairly uninspiring game, to be honest, with Qld playing plenty of reserves and seeming to take it fairly easy, the Vics scoring just before the hooter.

I am not familiar with most of these kids, but I'll offer the following comments anyway.

Qld

In the forwards, Ngauamo worked hard and impressed, Browning looked short of a gallop early but got better as the game wore on, Satui very busy but surely weighs less than 80 kg and Timu starred with the ball in hand without getting too interested in the tight stuff.

In the backs, Meehan played most of the game at half where he was busy and scored a good solo try (assisted by non-existent defence), Davies looked calm and well organised at flyhalf albeit without much flair, Johnson steady at 12 but looked a bit one-dimensional, didn't know the 13 but thought he did well, Greene played 40 minutes at 15 and the remaining 20 at 10 kicking well but didn't see him with the ball in hand.

Victoria

The only stand-out for me was the huge No 8 (Maka, I believe), who came on at halftime. Didn't get too many runs with the ball, but with one charge knocked Browning a few metres backwards and sat him on his arse, which is no mean feat.

This guy must be around 195cm and 120kg, with considerable speed and athleticism. Looks as green as grass, but with some good coaching and playing at a higher level has the physical tools to be anything. I could easily see him being picked in the "A" side so his longer term ability can be assessed.

In summary, hard to assess Qld 1 on this performance. They look strong in the forwards (although a bit on the small side in the back three), but I would be a bit concerned about their lack of speed and ball-playing ability in the midfield according to what I saw.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
NSW 1s def CS 39-14. Hard game, lots of injuries. Will leave the match report to the 'experts', will be interesting to see what they have to say.

I wouldn't say there were lots of injuries as such. Baldwin was the worst with his ankle again and Mitch Whiteley looked like he dislocated his elbow but the physio put that back in and he came off to rest. Wells got a knock on the head and was taken off as a precaution. Dombkins got a slight knock on his knee but played out the game.

C

Casnovian

I had good authority to believe that the bench would be part of the run on team today. Looks like it was a wise move to give the likes of Batho, Kennedy, Orr and Notoli et al some reasonable game time as the coach wants to put his best 15 on Friday.

Take note coaches in Under 16s thread - connected with the regional carnival particularly. The players are there for a reason - use them!

What you did forget to say Iluvmyfooty was that NSW II were leading 29 - 5 until seventeen minutes from the end of the game then two quick tries from ACT changed the state of play - after more of the starting bench players were taken off.

K

k14

NSW 1 V Combined States

Best for NSW I thought were in the forwards - all produced good games but the work rates of Broome and Dombkins were substantial and Calcagano, despite giving away some penalties, was strong.

Totally agree with you, the tight 5 for NSW had all had a very good game dominating in the set piece. Lawley, Guilfoyle and Ala'alatoa were the dominant front row in the game, and were strong in the previous game against WA. Should be interesting to see how these guys go in terms of selection. All 3 have shown they are definitely up to the standard that is required, and all have a strong work rate. Dombkins and Whiteley started as the second rowers and both played well, especially Dombkins in the lineouts and open field play.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks again guys for the reports. I know only too well how hard it is to do watching so many games and lads running on and off the park and you have all given us a good picture.

VictoriaThe only stand-out for me was the huge No 8 (Maka, I believe), who came on at halftime. Didn't get too many runs with the ball, but with one charge knocked Browning a few metres backwards and sat him on his arse, which is no mean feat.

One of the things that stood out in the U/16 tournament last year was the performance of many good no.8s. This bloke wasn't one of them so I'm picking that I will be seeing a crop of good pro 8s rearing their heads down the track about the same time.

Maka? That is a very, very good surname for a no. 8 to have. Hope the young bloke is of the same bloodlines as Finau and Isitola Maka.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Most interesting is the competition for backrow spots, how would you rank them?
Broome (NSW I), Satui (QLD I), Baldwin (CSS), Hardwick (WA), Timu (QLD I), Tasi (CSS), Wells (NSW I), Maka (Vic)

No particular order, who else is in the running?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
I would rate them all overrated.
PS I would also rate the preoccupation with backrowers especially number 7s to be unhealthy. It's as if nobody thinks there nobody else can play.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Most interesting is the competition for backrow spots, how would you rank them?
Broome (NSW I), Satui (QLD I), Baldwin (CSS), Hardwick (WA), Timu (QLD I), Tasi (CSS), Wells (NSW I), Maka (Vic)

No particular order, who else is in the running?

7's Broome, Hardwick,baldwin,Satui
8's Timu/Wells (different styles of playing both doing well), Maka, Tasi

Due to the fact bthat there are no standout 6's around and based on my observations over the past 2 days my OZ Schools back 5 would be

4 Browning
5 Dombkins
6 Timu
7 Broome
8 Wells

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I would rate them all overrated.
PS I would also rate the preoccupation with backrowers especially number 7s to be unhealthy. It's as if nobody thinks there nobody else can play.

Please explain spewn also what have been your observations over the first two games of this championship? Why do you consider these players as inferior players. Who do you consider better?

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
Just stirring. But I do think that when you read the posts over a range of topics there is a preoccupation with 7s.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think deservedly so Spewn, it is one of the most contested positions in schoolboy rugby. Good to know there are quality 7's coming through the schoolboy systems, I'd like to think Australia's dominance in that position will continue, can bet your bottom dollar that NZ has quality 7's.

1. Lawley
2. Ngauamo
4. Dombkins (Preen)
5. Browning (Whitely)
6. Timu (Baldwin)
7. Broome (Hardwick)
8. Wells (Maka)
9. Wessels (Meehan)
10. Davies (McIntyre)
11. Taginoa (Brimble)
12. Johnson (Burton/Stewart)
13. Scarano (Roads) - Sautia if fit