• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championship 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

waves

Im just chucking this comment in out of the blue, but does anyone think this year's Australian Schoolboys is one of the weakest we've seen in a while ?

R

rugby_man

Any word on who or what this aforementioned presidents xv will include?

I'd say it's probably a side made up of the players who didn't make any of the two Australian Schoolboy sides. That'd be my guess anyway.

P

pitbull

I wouldn't say weakest, but definitely inexperienced with only three returning. I have a feeling this team will react in the same way that nsw and qld 2 did, producing a team that has little experience together, but is able to produce results through sheer talent. Last years group stayed at a constant level throughout the entire trial phase and the tour, with little improvement yet no backwards steps. This years bunch have so many players that are praised for their leadership skills (Goodman, Latunipulu etc.) its hard to believe they will sit back and not take advantage of the opportunity they have

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I wouldn't say weakest, but definitely inexperienced with only three returning. I have a feeling this team will react in the same way that nsw and qld 2 did, producing a team that has little experience together, but is able to produce results through sheer talent. Last years group stayed at a constant level throughout the entire trial phase and the tour, with little improvement yet no backwards steps. This years bunch have so many players that are praised for their leadership skills (Goodman, Latunipulu etc.) its hard to believe they will sit back and not take advantage of the opportunity they have

There is no substitute for strong leadership and I think that is one of the areas where NSW 1 fell down as Mali is not leadership material. Apo and Goodman would make a great combination and it is not too late for the selectors to see the light.

thecow

Ward Prentice (10)
can someone please post the link for the australian schools draw for the matches against fiji and samoa

F

footyboy

anybody have any opinpons on the upcoming games with australia schools against fijian schools and any players to keep a eye on from either Australia schools or australia schools A in these games

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
anybody have any opinpons on the upcoming games with australia schools against fijian schools and any players to keep a eye on from either Australia schools or australia schools A in these games

I reckon Luani, Crook, Latunipulu and Kiillingworth will go well

C

catchpole

I think that Chris Ingate's defence may see him promoted from Australia A to the 1st XV side through the course of the representative program.

On a more optimistic note I also like to think that Cam Clark may fight his way into a side when he recovers from his injury

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Oz Ones:

- F'Sautia who played 13 for BSHS and Qld Is this year but was a winger for Oz Schools aged 15 in 2010.

- Crook who plays fullback for TSS but was on the wing for Qld I. A sprinter who is a good footie player but is often ignored by those playing inside him.

- Browning who is an 8 for BSHS but will likely play in the 2nd row as he did last year for Oz A, and Qld I in both years - and he is still just 16 years old. He may not shine as a lock but watch his potential as a senior 8.

- Roach, a livewire hooker who likes the tight stuff too. Was Oz Schools starting hooker last year.

- Miller THP, smallish by even schools standards and may have to play LHP as a senior player or convert to hooker. Same comments as for Roach.

- Midfielders 12 Latinupulu and 13 Hingano. Both are lads who have obviously been the best players for their teams when they were young and try a tad too hard on their own account, but on their day they can be devastating - or too greedy. Don't know if they will be a good fit; on the other hand they could be an outrageously good combination. Hope we can keep them in our code.

Oz Twos:

- THP Hoskins from WA played for Combined States in the Opens last year and a few months later was probably the best tight five forward in the U/16 tournament. In 2010 some thought he should have made the Ones team. May be a Force to be reckoned with down the track.

- Ingate is an outside centre who may have made Oz Ones in another year. A Cameron Shepherd type at the school level.

O

Overseer

Oz Ones:
- Crook who plays fullback for TSS but was on the wing for Qld I. A sprinter who is a good footie player but is often ignored by those playing inside him.
Sorry to be of contradictory nature , but I haven't seen him anywhere but 14 for TSS but he does score a lot from the opposite side or from roaming and backing up at 15.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think that Chris Ingate's defence may see him promoted from Australia A to the 1st XV side through the course of the representative program.

On a more optimistic note I also like to think that Cam Clark may fight his way into a side when he recovers from his injury

Ingate will be promoted nowhere on "D" the 2 centres in the 1's are V good defenders. if he is to be promoted it will be due to what he does with the ball in his hands, bearing in mind that the Qld 13 is still in the side playing on the wing, so he has a few in front of him with not a lot of football left to play.
Clark has missed his chance this year,Let's hope he has an injury free 2011. no doubt he is a walk up start NSW 1's next year if injury free.

U

Upright

Oz Ones:

- F'Sautia who played 13 for BSHS and Qld Is this year but was a winger for Oz Schools aged 15 in 2010.

- Browning who is an 8 for BSHS but will likely play in the 2nd row as he did last year for Oz A, and Qld I in both years - and he is still just 16 years old. He may not shine as a lock but watch his potential as a senior 8.

- Roach, a livewire hooker who likes the tight stuff too. Was Oz Schools starting hooker last year.

- Miller THP, smallish by even schools standards and may have to play LHP as a senior player or convert to hooker. Same comments as for Roach.

- Midfielders 12 Latinupulu and 13 Hingano. Both are lads who have obviously been the best players for their teams when they were young and try a tad too hard on their own account, but on their day they can be devastating - or too greedy. Don't know if they will be a good fit; on the other hand they could be an outrageously good combination. Hope we can keep them in our code.

Oz Twos:

- THP Hoskins from WA played for Combined States in the Opens last year and a few months later was probably the best tight five forward in the U/16 tournament. In 2010 some thought he should have made the Ones team. May be a Force to be reckoned with down the track.

- Ingate is an outside centre who may have made Oz Ones in another year. A Cameron Shepherd type at the school level.

Lee,
Apolosi started his junior rep rugby as a flanker with Southern Districts and was a strong running backrower who rarely looked to position others. After watching him in Brisbane those same characteristics are still evident. He is a strong crash baller and willing defender, but seems not to have the vision necessry for 12. He may find that once he moves out of junior/school footy, that like his brother,you can only go so far playing that way. I suspect a return to the flank will be his future. But will it be at Southern Districts?

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't think C Clark will even make it back for his school for the rest of their season (more's the pity): though that finishes in around three weeks. A desparetely short season in my opinion!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sorry to be of contradictory nature , but I haven't seen him anywhere but 14 for TSS but he does score a lot from the opposite side or from roaming and backing up at 15.

Did he play fullback last year? A few folks were mentioning him as a possible fullback selection for Qld Schools. There is also the possibility that I am plain wrong.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
I would be interested to hear how the the Aussie schools and A players went in their first game back, particularly the Kings boys following their narrow loss to Joeys. Hard to imagine how such a start studded team can loose to one with only one rep player. Did the selectors get it wrong, did the boys just have an off day or were Joeys robbed by the selectors?

P

pitbull

maybe the 8 kings boys were exhausted from an entire holiday of rugby
and maybe joeys, only missing a winger during the hols, had time to rethink their strategy regarding this season and put on a performance that wasn't embarrassing.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
maybe Joeys just turned up with a never say die attitude, and got the bikkies.
Well done to the Joey's boys for the biggest form reversal of the season.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
The hungriest team usually wins most times even against great opposition like the Kings team. It all boils down to who wants it the most on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.