• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And right there is the fundamental problem within all levels of Australian Rugby IMO.

Are you suggesting that there is no leadership from the centre, pulling ALL the affiliates in the same direction with the same message, and ensuring that ALL their affiliates do likewise?

Fairly simple concept really.

Do you think that the Arbib/Cosgrove governance study may look into this fairly fundamental issue?

Bill McLean (32)
I'll be looking forward to Saturday's game! It's at the home of NSW Junior/School Rugby League, St Mary's; an absolutely beautiful pitch. Drains exceptionally well in the wet!

The junior 'Ikale Tahi will have a lot of support out that way, so all you palangi better be on your best behaviour :D

T

tranquility

Just a disclaimer I know nothing of any of these players, so pardon my ignorance.

But who is the NSW winger who looked classy and finished off two meat pies in the highlights package? Surely a talent..

Bill McLean (32)
It was semi-finals at the ASSRL today and I noticed that I few key talent identifcation protagonists were missing.

Anyone notice any inconspicuous men in various NRL club livery walking around at the Aus A v Tonga game with program's and pens at the ready?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Just a disclaimer I know nothing of any of these players, so pardon my ignorance.

But who is the NSW winger who looked classy and finished off two meat pies in the highlights package? Surely a talent..

where is said highlights package???

G

G-78-XV-V

KOB, as yet there is not a highlights package of the Kings boys running riot in the NSW II games!!

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
And Brian do you think you will finally acquire a passable HSC mark this year that will allow you to finally graduate from the hallowed halls of Sydney Grammar? Your deliberate attempts to fail each year in order to have a crack at making the 1st VX (i.e. and then NSW and Aus) are excercises it futility. Surely your father now is depleted of funds after having to pay your tuition for the last 30 odd years. Besides you never even attend :D
Dearest Newbie, my alcoholic beverage swilling friend. There is nothing wrong with still being in hope of still making the First FIVE. At whatever sport the first 5 play, but,I digress. Yes. One adventure filled trip to Shanghai, and there you go. Up the Yellow river like Incy Wincy spider. I also called those Nigerian guys that IIWII suggested. Can anyone loan me some playlunch money?

Banger

Frank Nicholson (4)
Australia A Schools 29 (Jack Johnson, Jack Tuttle, Tanne Milne, Dylan Sikimeti tries, Sam Green 3 con, 1 pen) defeated Tongan Schools U18 5 (Jonathan Lokotui try)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
That wasn't one of the better performances by an Oz A Schools team I have seen; not that they always play in Sydney for me to see them. Three years ago they beat the same team 60-6. Mind you, most years the Oz A Schools teams reflect the general lack of depth in Oz rugby, just as an Oz A senior side would, and they were usually disappointing when they played.

The memory fades a bit but I can't remember a commanding Oz A schools team performance against a strong team since 2005.

That A Schools team had McCalman, Genia, Leali'ifano, Palmer, McCabe, Betham and Ben Lucas in it and they would have fitted right into the main side without affecting it too much.

But there weren't too many putting their hands up for the main team today.

It was not a bad 1st half from the lads at 22-0 and 3 tries to 0 but it was scrappy after oranges with just one try each. To be fair most of the reserves came on right after the break and it took them a while to find their feet and whilst they were doing so, they affected the players who had started the game.

I tell you what though: the lineouts were brilliant - just one not straight throw that I can remember and plenty of good prelim, good lifting and deft receptions by all the receivers. The scrum ball was safe most of the time though it was often untidy.

12. Tuttle had a better game than any during the tournament and because his 13 was often rushed he was forced to run himself and he did it well, often dishing to the winger, especially Ioane who got good pill. But he played outside centre in the 2nd half and didn't get a lot of ball.

The best player on the park was 10. Greene. He is one who got a pack your bags for the tour tick next to his name. Some of the passes he got were slow and ropey but he dealt with them as though nothing was amiss.

13. Milne got more ball in one game than he got in the tournament on the wing. They used him frequently running straight, inside Tuttle, and he could show his best feature: running in traffic. He also revealed his lack of pace in trying to run down a Tongan winger whereas 15. Porch passed Milne and nailed him. If he stays in our code after school Milne should wear the 12 jersey methinks.

In the forwards I liked 2. Postal and 3. Robertson and the two locks in the lineout.

PS: My mail is that McIntyre will play 10 on Saturday, Horwitz will be at 12 and Placid at 15.

PPS - the coach told me that Tuttle was the back up flyhalf today - but Greene played the whole game anyway.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just a disclaimer I know nothing of any of these players, so pardon my ignorance. But who is the NSW winger who looked classy and finished off two meat pies in the highlights package? Surely a talent..

As qwerty said: that is Kellaway. He is someone I described both last year an this as a Matt Burke type of player at the same age. He played fullback for GPS but they played him on the wing for NSW, as you saw.

But he wasn't the best winger at the tournament IMO; that was 16 y.o. Harry Jones who should have been in the NSW Ones but had to play in the Twos because they used a centre on the wing in the Ones - (and it didn't work out.)

Kellaway and Jones are both in the Oz Schools Ones and will be back at school next year.

Watch this space on these two lads.

T

tranquility

Wow, thats good news.

I dont get to watch alot of the schoolboy stuff, but this reminds me of the last Australian schoolboy team I watched when the Aussies forwards mauled the Kiwis is 2010. There was a bloke called Tom Cusack playing who blew me away, then I found out on here that he was only in year 11 at the time. Unfortunatley he got injured in 2011, but fingers crossed he can stay healthy and make a fist of the big leagues.

Same goes for Kellaway (can't comment on Jones as I wasn't there) he looks like a superb finisher, good luck to the man.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
That wasn't one of the better performances by an Oz A Schools team I have seen; not that they always play in Sydney.
----------------------------------------

You are right Lee. I expect more point around 35+ up. The pool that the Tongan School Boys team pick their players from is very, very,very small compare to what we have here in australia. The main island of Tonga is only have one school competition consist of 7 to 8 schools and only about 4 school is strong in rugby - other is just make up the comp. Round about 120 unders 18 players they picked these Tongan Squad from. That's all they got. So how many school boys player we have to pick our Aust A & Aust School boys from??? The facilities and resources that we have here is a massive benefit for our boys in contrast to our islanders boys. One thing I know about these Tongan kids - they never give up and never die.

Status
Not open for further replies.