• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
NSW
10. David Horwitz - Riverview - Oz Schools
10. Jake McIntyre - Alstonville HS - Oz Schools
12 Jim Stewart - Scots - Oz Schools
4/5 Harry Rorke - Riverview - Oz Schools *
6/Utility - Mitchell Whitely - Riverview - Oz A Schools
6 Jack Dempsey - Riverview - NSW Schools II
15 Andrew Kellaway - Scots - NSW Schools II

ACT
13. Andrew Robinson - St May McKillop HS - Oz Schools
4/5 Tom Staniforth - Canberra GS - Oz Schools *

* Rorke played for Oz A Schools and was selected for the bench for Oz Schools v NZ Schools but was injured and did not play. He was replaced by Staniforth who had played previously for Oz A Schools

C

comrades

4 Staniforth
5 Rorke
6 Dempsey
7 Wilkin
8 Whiteley
10 Horwitz/ McIntyre
11 Ioane
12 Stewart
13 Tuttle
15 Gutherson

any ideas for front row?

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
4 Staniforth
5 Rorke
6 Dempsey
7 Wilkin
8 Whiteley
10 Horwitz/ McIntyre
11 Ioane
12 Stewart
13 Tuttle
15 Gutherson

any ideas for front row?
Alex Hatzis from St Laurences??
He was selected as prop on the bench for QLD I last year but got injured just before the tournament i think

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Knockers wrote:

Brad Wilkin will be a good shot as a flanker having received player of the tournament at the National U16s.

Is that right? I thought he had a good week and had the work rate of a drovers dog - and he was in my team of the tournament - but player of the tournament above Tuttle? I'm surprised.

2. Andrew Manu, who you mentioned Knockers, also made my team of the 2011 U/16 tournament. I made these comments on him: Hard as nails; good leg drive when stopped; scored a top try today when he had no right to. High and effective work rate. Watch this space on young Andrew.

Terrific player.

Bill McLean (32)
NSW...
15 Andrew Kellaway - Scots - NSW Schools II

Lee,

I take it your putting up Kellaway as a possible contender for the NSW 1's and Australian side?

If so have you given any consideration to Clinton Gutherson? This lad certainly has the goods.

Gutherson is a 'Dual Codie' from Auggies (I believe) and will likely be selected in the NSWRL U/18's very shortly after a sublime SG Ball season for Manly. Needless to say he is just as good at rugby!

I will qualify that by stating that Gutherson has been selected in the SICC team to compete at the NSWCCC league trials this Friday and Saturday (which he sure to make) and given that both national championships conflict this year he will have to make an election!

Regards,

Bill McLean (32)
Sorry Lee I got Gutherson mixed up with Natoli. Nevertheless Gutherson will probably seek selection through the CHS system.

Regards,
Newbie.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Edit: This was in answer to your first post but I will let it stand

That's too hard for me. I know Cutherson well (he's from Freshwater CS, not too far from Auggies, nor from my joint) and I think he's a terrific player, but I thought it was confirmed that he was going to league and the league guys wouldn't let him play. The Oz Schools alickadoos could turn their noses at him too. They may think: why give a leaguie a leg up?

I would certainly pick him ahead of the younger Kellaway and so would everybody else, but I was just throwing a few names into the hat. Kellaway had problems playing fullback last year at the U/16 tournament, but I saw him on the weekend and he has advanced a lot. As I said in the GPS section: he was like a young Matt Burke when I saw him at the same age. Like Burke he could be an outside centre eventually at school.

Talking of fullbacks: could Queenslanders tell me how 15. Jonah Placid of TGS is going this year? He had a terrific 2011 U/16 tournament and he would certainly be a candidate for Qld Schools and Oz Schools if his performance curve is going in the usual direction.

Edit 2

9. Natoli? Sometimes you watch a young bloke and he becomes a favourite even though he's maybe not as good as somebody else. That's Natoli for me. Must be a lot of trouble for his mum; he's a cheeky bugger and on a good day he can leave defenders for dead on the snipe.

Not a candidate for Oz Schools though, and only marginal for NSW Schools.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
9. Natoli? Sometimes you watch a young bloke and he becomes a favourite even though he's maybe not as good as somebody else. That's Natoli for me. Must be a lot of trouble for his mum; He's a cheeky bugger and on a good day he can leave defenders for dead on the snipe.

Not a candidate for Oz Schools though, and only marginal for NSW Schools.
Big call Lee, where do you see he needs to improve to press for selection?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
NSW

4/5 Harry Rorke - Scots - Oz Schools *

* Rorke played for Oz A Schools and was selected for the bench for Oz Schools v NZ Schools but was injured and did not play. He was replaced by Staniforth who had played previously for Oz A Schools

Rorke is a Riverview boy LG

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
RE: Placid.

Have not heard much from up north but he will have stiff competition from Sam Greene for the QLD I jersey. Can't wait to see those two face off when TGS play BGS. I read somewhere that Placid has signed a contract with the Broncos?

Lee, who do you think will get the #12 gig, Tuttle or Stewart?

Another contender for the #2 jersey could be Andrew Manu - QLD.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Rorke is a Riverview boy LG
I know - sometimes the fingers type the wrong words though. At my age I should look things up but I'm too lazy.

Big call Lee, where do you see he needs to improve to press for selection?
I just reckon that other guys who are back have a more rounded rugby union game. Natoli plays like a league player, which he is, and goes on the snipe like he is trying to get yardage on the 3rd tackle.

If he is indeed going to the Dark Side of the Force the selectors may try to find some reason not to pick him. That could be complete nonsense but it the vibe I get is that a league player has to show clear superiority to get picked.

I hope that I am wrong: as I said - he's a favourite of mine.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Lee, who do you think will get the #12 gig, Tuttle or Stewart?

Another contender for the #2 jersey could be Andrew Manu - QLD.

I mentioned Manu earlier.

Tuttle/Stewart - It's a bit of a nonsense really to be talking about Oz selections so early, and there will be new players in the mix anyway, but we talk a lot of nonsense in the Schools forum; so why not?

Stewart turned 18 in January this year. I don't know Tuttle's DOB but he played U/16 in 2011 and so he couldn't turn 17 until January 2012 which would make Stewart at least a year older. It is probably 1 year and change. This age difference won't matter beans in a few year's time, but at the minute it is significant.

If it is a race between just these two they could go for the older guy but Tuttle is a very special talent. As I wrote last year in my team of the U/16 tournament post:

12. Jack Tuttle – Qld Reds
Player of the tournament and put on a virtuoso performance today. He has it all: as fast as a winger, passes long and flat like Larkham, steps and swerves and takes people with him when stopped, tackles everything. Watch this space. [I meant he was my player of the tournament.]

Tuttle is one of the best U/16 players I have ever seen and his 2011 performance was superior to that of Stewart in the 2010 U/16 competition. He played so well last year that they got him into the Oz A side to play NZ Schools after the U/16 tournament, yet he hadn't been in the earlier Oz A side that played England Schools.

Tuttle has the attributes to play anywhere from 10 up; so I suspect they will get both players into the team. 95kgs Stewart is the classic inside centre: an uncompromising ex-league player (he was selected for Oz U/15) and is as tough as teak. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 12 and they pick Tuttle at 13.

12. Stewart's midfield Oz Schools partner in 2011, Allan F., is currently playing for Oz Sevens. It would good to see Stewart doing the same in 2012 (and packing down in their 3 man scrums). Tuttle would be sensational in 7s whenever leaves school. If Allan F. and another 2011 Oz Schools player, McMahon, (who is still 17) can do it, so could these two.

That's just for starters: both lads have big futures if they stay in our code.

James O'Connor

Bob McCowan (2)
Matt Narracott and Tom Staniforth as well as lesser known Jack Stanford have all been showing great form in the ACT competition. Staniforth should be a starter in his second year and Narracott could impress for ACT schools and earn himself a wing spot, speed to burn and great ball skills.

stokes

Stan Wickham (3)
4 Staniforth
5 Rorke
6 Dempsey
7 Wilkin
8 Whiteley
10 Horwitz/ McIntyre
11 Ioane
12 Stewart
13 Tuttle
15 Gutherson

any ideas for front row?
Front row, Wendl, Cook and O'conner from auggies, Lloyd and Phillips must be in the running for 4 and 5. Auggies have best pack in opens by a country mile, would have to be considered

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Front row, Wendl, Cook and O'conner from auggies, Lloyd and Phillips must be in the running for 4 and 5. Auggies have best pack in opens by a country mile, would have to be considered

This is Aus schools thread, not NSW. I doubt they will get every position in the forwards considering QLD's recent history with props and locks.

Bill McLean (32)
... Tuttle/Stewart ...
Tuttle has the attributes to play anywhere from 10 up; so I suspect they will get both players into the team. 95kgs Stewart is the classic inside centre: an uncompromising ex-league player (he was selected for Oz U/15) and is as tough as teak. I wouldn't be surprised he plays 12 and they pick Tuttle ...

Lee,

I could not agree with more! In 2009 when Stewart was selected for the Australian U/15 League team he did so via the NSWCCC RL team where in fact he was voted 'Most Valuable Player' NSWCCC player of the 2009 tournament!

Tuttle as you say was an absolute gun at the U/16 nationals. For me it was a toss up up between him and his fellow team mate, Duncan Puipaa, for MVP honours. I again watched him compete for the Oz-A team against NZ at St Mary's where he did himself no end of good for the little time he was given on the field.

I am so looking forward to the Stewart v Tuttle battle at this years nationals (notwithstanding the fact it will probably be a IC v OC scenario)!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
This is Aus schools thread, not NSW. I doubt they will get every position in the forwards considering QLD's recent history with props and locks.

Yeah - let's see them play for NSW first stokes, or at the very least: in the NSW trials - not saying that Auggies isn't a good school team, mind.

Auggies is a recent NSW schools powerhouse and I wish we had more of them - and more Pappas (love him or hate him).

stokes

Stan Wickham (3)

my apologies, browsing a few different threads, thought i was still in NSW schools, interesting thought though, has any dominant school ever got more than a couple of players from its team into Aus schoolboys?

Status
Not open for further replies.