• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill McLean (32)
Like it! TBH the likes of Rorke, McCalman, Stewart, Redden and Placid wouldn't go astray in the line up for Australia or on the bench. With respect to Jack the lad I do hope selectors look beyond his size and focus upon what he actually does on the field in terms of work rate at break down and his defence!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Can NSW break the QLD win streak this year? Looks promising after the NSW II result.

According to my spies, it was not too far off a NSWII v NSWI Final. The Red teams seemed to be a little off their games today.

Last time that happened was in 2002 IIRC. Can't recall a QLD 1 v QLD2 final.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
NSW 1’s 22 def 2’s 8

Despite the 5-5 second half it was a pretty dominant performance by the NSW 1’s. They dominated the first half going to the break up 17-3 but took their foot off the gas in the second half and coasted with plenty of changes being made – in fact I think all 23 got a run during the game.
An early try to THP Rory O’Connor got NSW on the board following a long range break down the left flank by Kellaway. O’Connor is very mobile for a 3 and was the first to get to Kellaway after he was brought down by the QLD 2’s 15 – his reward for doing so taking NSW to a 5-0 lead. Tom Wilson’s conversion took it to 7-0 and not too much later after some sustained pressure Tepai Meoroa scored with Wilson again converting to see the lead kick out to 14-0. A couple of penalties from both teams saw NSW leading 17-3 at the break. NSW started the second half brightly with Kellaway going in out wide to take their lead to 22-3 before QLD hit back towards the end when replacement prop Markus Vanzati scored. In between the weather had deteriorated with plenty of sleety rain and the south easterly wind picking up which QLD used to their advantage kicking wise. Plenty of changes from NSW in the latter part of the half signalled that their coaches were well pleased with the starting sides efforts and that they were looking towards Saturday’s confrontation with QLD 1’s.

Best Players:

NSW – the Riverview forwards trio of 8. Whiteley, 4. Rorke and 6. Dempsey were in everything especially in the grinding stages of the second half. 3 O’Connor absolutely smashed his opponent in the scrums drawing two penalties for Tarr failing to bind and otherwise bending him over on numerous occasions. His work in the open especially in attack was also very good. 7.Jack Johnson was also prominent amongst the hard working NSW pack. 9.Natoli was very busy and 10 Horwitz played with his usual authoritive aplomb organising his backs very well. 14. Kellaway was excellent in the first half and spelt pure danger every time he touched the ball. I’d love to see him get more opportunities though and hopefully next year he’ll be playing at 13 or 15 for NSW.

QLD – to be honest I can’t say that a lot of their players shone despite the scoreline in the second half. 11. Netinili Fiela did some good things when the ball got out his way and 5. Jack Payne and 8.Tim Manns toiled away well in the forwards.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Based on what I saw today - Oz Schools:

1. Aaron Pleash
2. Ben Carolan
3. Rory O'Connor
4. Harry Rorke
5. Jack Cornelsen
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Jack Johnson
8. Mitch Whiteley
9. Fabian Natoli
10. David Horwitz
11. Monty Ioane
12. Jack Tuttle
13. Lalakai Foketi
14.Andrew Kellaway
15. Jonah Placid
16. Latham Takau
17. Tom Robertson
18. Lolo Fakaosilea
19. Michael Gunn
20. Harry Jones
21. Jim Stewart
22. Andrew Manu
23. Jake McIntyre

As for Saturday's clash between NSW 1's and QLD 1's I think NSW may have it in the forwards but their backs will need to be on their toes defensively as there is some real danger in the QLD backline.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A few correspondents from the venue have slightly different views on the days events.

We all await the Adjudicators reports from Uncle Lee.
Dogs constitutional - Tick
Reviewed Notes - Tick
After dinner snifter - Tick
Snooze - Work in Progress
Match Day Reports Posted - Next cab off the rank.

Fairpoint

Stan Wickham (3)
QLD 1’s 13 def NSW 2’s 10

NSW – 3 Tom Robertson was excellent with his carries and did plenty of fine work at the breakdown as did 6 Declan O’Donohoe. 13 Lalakai Foketi is just pure class – a strong defender, great footwork and a beautiful fend but he seemed to be left doing a lot of the grunt work with the ball in hand in the first half when his forwards other than Robertson and 8. Albert Hemopo didn’t seem overly willing to get things going forward. 11 Harry Jones got very few opportunities but looked dangerous on the rare occasion the ball got out to him – I couldn’t understand why they didn’t try to get the ball into his hands in the dying stages even when he came in looking for it as he was the most likely of the outside backs to do something that might have won it for them. 2 Ben Carolan and 20 Jack McCalman lifted the forwards intensity and go forward when they both came on as replacements in the second half.

I'm sorry but from what I saw Hemopo was a work horse all day along with NSW 2's front row of Orr, Kay and Robertson and 2nd row Harrison Williams. As for the impact of the bench players, they had no real effect on the scoreboard nor the teams go forward I believe. You mention Carolans effect CTPE, if I am correct I counted 3 times where he ran the ball high and was driven backwards over 2 or 3 metres. Surely this didnt get the momentum going ?

To be honest, unlucky for NSW2 but excellent defence too QLD 1.

Players to be mentioned:
Qld2- 1,3,4,11,12,15
Nsw2- 1,3,4,18,6,8,13

Bill McLean (32)
CTPE,

What are your thoughts on Kellaway playing sevens for Australia within the next two years?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Based on what I saw today - Oz Schools:

1. Aaron Pleash
2. Ben Carolan
3. Rory O'Connor
4. Harry Rorke
5. Jack Cornelsen
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Jack Johnson
8. Mitch Whiteley
9. Fabian Natoli
10. David Horwitz
11. Monty Ioane
12. Jack Tuttle
13. Lalakai Foketi
14.Andrew Kellaway
15. Jonah Placid
16. Latham Takau
17. Tom Robertson
18. Lolo Fakaosilea
19. Michael Gunn
20. Harry Jones
21. Jim Stewart
22. Andrew Manu
23. Jake McIntyre

As for Saturday's clash between NSW 1's and QLD 1's I think NSW may have it in the forwards but their backs will need to be on their toes defensively as there is some real danger in the QLD backline.

can you repost with which teams they were in please? I have notes without names - NSW Is #9 - thx MOTH

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
can you repost with which teams they were in please? I have notes without names - NSW Is #9 - thx MOTH

I'll fill in what I know.

1. Aaron Pleash - QLD 1
2. Ben Carolan - NSW 2
3. Rory O'Connor - NSW 1
4. Harry Rorke - NSW 1
5. Jack Cornelsen - QLD 1
6. Jack Dempsey - NSW 1
7. Jack Johnson - NSW 1
8. Mitch Whiteley - NSW 1
9. Fabian Natoli - NSW 1
10. David Horwitz - NSW 1
11. Monty Ioane - QLD 1
12. Jack Tuttle - QLD 1
13. Lalakai Foketi - NSW 2
14.Andrew Kellaway - NSW 1
15. Jonah Placid - QLD 1
16. Latham Takau - QLD 1
17. Tom Robertson - NSW 2
18. Lolo Fakaosilea - QLD 1
19. Michael Gunn - QLD 1
20. Harry Jones - NSW 2
21. Jim Stewart - NSW 1
22. Andrew Manu - QLD 1
23. Jake McIntyre - NSW 1

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
After reading the various reports from the Australian Schools Rugby Nationals I decided to head down today and check out all the hype for myself.

Just a few things from my observations:

1. Albert Hemopo was the absolute stand-out number 8 today. His work-rate in the tight stuff, defense and support in the loose was unmatched by any other number 8 I saw today, bar NONE! Mitchell Whitely take note.

2. Tomas Robertson is the best prop at the tournament and should have been in the 1st XV. Rory O'Connor is NOT a tight-head prop! His scrummaging ability [or lack thereof] was woefully exposed today against the weaker QLD team. For the life of me I still can't understand how the CHS 1st XV prop Matagi Sa'u was overlooked?!

3. Tepai Meoroa is completely over-rated. He did absolutely nothing today and is simply there for his size.

4. QLD 1st XV fullback Jonah Placid was outstanding and would be my pick for player of the day.

5. NSW I no.7 Jack Johnson had a blinder and is a promising prospect.

I look forward to seeing some of these boys in the Shute Shield Colts arena next season. Thats when we separate the boys [especially those protected & unfairly promoted via the GPS system] from the MEN!!

1. I thought the Victorian No 8 was good but agree that Hemopo played well just in front of the Qld I's No 8.

2. Absolutely agree, he was first to Kellaway because he plays in the backline a lot, but Papa teams often do this.

3. Glad he has a league contract (and a GPS education). Tuttle and Stewart by a mile.

4. Exciting player to watch, but they will pick McIntyre.

5. Can't agree here. The No7 play is not of a high level IMO as most want to be ball carriers rather than attacking the opposition at the breakdown. Johnson falls into the former category. Leave it to the 8 and 6's.

6. You are reading my thoughts regards the future. Thought todays games standard wasn't too high level generally. Pushed passes, dropped ball, poor reads, I expected better.

NSW should win on saturday as I think a couple of QLD I's players are now carrying injuries. Qld I were better than todays score indicated however, with their No9 having a shocker (another position where nobody looks to threaten regularly) and Ioane blowing 2 certain tries. Their discipline to defend the lead in the last few minutes speaks volumes of their desire to compete and win when not playing to their best though.

Lastly, while I believe they need a place like Riverview to host the games due to housing the interstate teams its a shame about the main grounds composition. Players were unable to keep their feet when changing direction and it is frustrating to watch players falling over regularly.

stonecutter

Chris McKivat (8)
With regard to future selection I wouldn't think the selectors will stray too far from who they have selected in the past and some of them showed a bit of form today. Kellaway is a smart player and shows great composure and should get the nod over Jones who showed a bit of hesitance today. Valentini of Victoria looks a talent and the Storm probably know it too. Ioane is OK but needs to pass when he has unmarked players in support. Placid is scintillating in attack but I agree they didn't pick McIntyre at 15 for no reason. Stewart ran hard, straight and often today while Tuttle, although slighter of build is in good form. Horwitz was there last year and will be there again although Greene showed some good touches. Pulver has a nice mix to his game and actually finds space when he runs.

Whiteley on previous selection probably but the Victorian No8 is the right athlete for the position and likes body contact which is a pre requisite to playing in NZ later. I tend to agree with P-C-3 so if they want a ball running player Dempsey gets the 7 jumper and Gunn gets the 6. I was impressed with the 2 Qld locks, especially Cornelsons' lineout and general play but Rorke is likely to be picked after last years selection. Manukeu is a smokey. Robertson is strong and mobile and can scrummage and 2 of the Victorian boys are moving fridges but safer to go with a rugby state background in the dark arts positions, maybe the the Qld LH or even Orr. Wilson over Carolan for the lineout throwing.

I'll be surprised if there are too many untried selections in the main team but it's anyones guess for the A squad.

*My apolagies to the ACT but I only saw the one game and nobody had "pick me" games.

Bill McLean (32)
Stonecutter makes some goods observations IMO. In the back of selectors minds will be the inevitable game against NZ Schools and in turn I believe this will necessitate the selection of lads who have 'been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt to prove it'.

Nothing better than bringing in experience from an earlier 'and victorious' campaign (i.e. Stewart who also happened to score a try against NZ last year). Such players are invaluable in any squad and tend to get the nod over untested players who may have performed slightly better at the national championship.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE,

What are your thoughts on Kellaway playing sevens for Australia within the next two years?

He will play for the Oz u18 sevens team at next January's Youth Olympics and in all likelihood that will launch him into the seniors sevens side earlier than the time frame you have mentioned. Foketi is apparently also in the u18's squad.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There we a few good games on Day 3. I missed the opening game NT v Tas except the last 5 minutes but the 2nd game was a cracker:

South Australia 19 LMRDT 17

3 tries each - The game lacked a bit of structure but nobody cared: they were all having a crack. I had seen the Lloydies play on Day 1 and their U/16 teams heaps of times but the willingness and skill of the SA lads surprised me.

There were many raids during the game but both sides wanted composure near the try line when it was needed, otherwise the score would have blown out .

After being tied up 5-5 at oranges the Lloydies took a lead of 12-10 then disaster: a clearing kick near the dead ball line was kicked right into the guts of a SA player who fell down with it and scored.

With a few minutes to go, and 9 points down, the Lloydies went on an excursion, everything meshed, and they were in under the posts.

With the Lloydies 2 points down now, someone shouted to them from the crowd: "Just pass the ball." As if they wouldn't. They did, and ran up the touchline and someone said: "Don't kick it". It might have been me.

He kicked it. Groan; but it was a beauty: a cross-kick that found grass with a team mate chasing. Just him and the ball and.... bounce, bounce and the next bounce skidded and he knocked on the low ball. Game over. The lad was crestfallen as SA won. But well done them: won 3 out of 3.

There were a lot of good individual performances but it was mainly a contest of one team of players against another. However 8. Currie and will-of-the-wisp 11. Green of LMRDT - plus 2. Nutt of SA - were stand outs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
...snip

With the Lloydies 2 points down now, someone shouted to them from the crowd: "Just pass the ball." As if they wouldn't. They did, and ran up the touchline and someone said: "Don't kick it". It might have been me.

He kicked it. Groan; but it was a beauty: a cross-kick that found grass with a team mate chasing.

And how often does that happen to all us so called self appointed experts? Oops should have shut my mouth.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm sorry but from what I saw Hemopo was a work horse all day along with NSW 2's front row of Orr, Kay and Robertson and 2nd row Harrison Williams. As for the impact of the bench players, they had no real effect on the scoreboard nor the teams go forward I believe. You mention Carolans effect CTPE, if I am correct I counted 3 times where he ran the ball high and was driven backwards over 2 or 3 metres. Surely this didnt get the momentum going ?

You need to read a bit more carefully....my words were "when his forwards other than Robertson and 8. Albert Hemopo"

I've long admired Cam Orr as a player but thought he was not at his best yesterday. I know he's had knee problems for over 12 months and whether its this or his shift into the front row his once great running game has suffered. He used to be such a good carrier of the ball when he played in the back row and did it regularly but did little yesterday especially compared to his front row team mate Robertson. I think that in the long term that like OPL he is far too tall to be really successful as a LHP.
I agree that Carolan on one ocassion was driven backwards but the fact was when he and McCalman came on they made multiple quick carries each and lifted the NSW forwards momentum. To that point the QLD loosies had got the better of the NSW pack at the breakdown. The end result of their enthusiastic involvement was a try that saw NSW to get within 3 of QLD with time still left to win it if they were good enough.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
WA 27 Combined States 12

I'm glad that the Western Australia lads stepped up in form because they had been disappointing on the first 2 days. They will be feeling better about themselves now.

Some family members said it was unaccountable that their boys had not performed well even taking into account that they had played two good teams in NSW IIs and Qld Is. They said they were a bit challenged by the occasion and that playing a few of them out of position did not help.

5. Winter was hard on the ball all day and 8. Anderson was brutish tackling and running into tacklers. Bench flanker Phillips was a goer too and ran over a tackler to score. The killer blow in the match was delivered when 15. Yaxley ran through half the CS team like crap through a goose to score.

Combined States was without the injured 7. Randell and 9. Pulver, but fullback Delore made a fair fist of playing scrummie, going on a couple of snipes and popping up a nice pop pass from one of them. But later on he looked injured also and had to limp off. Then winger Hood, who had been playing outside centre, took over the position.

Combined States was in an uncombined state, but the players soldiered on for each other and should be commended.

ACT 12 Victoria 10

This was a real arm wrestle in the 1st half and IIRR there was no score at oranges. There was a lot of poor handling from both teams in the 2nd but Victoria got to 10-0 and looked good for the win in a low scoring game. But then ACT got a try, then there was a yellow card to 13. Robinson in there somewhere, and the clock was ticking down with the score at 10-5 to the Vics.

Then out of nowhere 14. Underwood finished off a dramatic try under the post to give the ACT their first win of the tournament, and break the hearts of the Vics.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Qld I 13 - NSW II 10

NSW looked better at the start but didn't take a couple of chances which was not good because one thought that they wouldn't get too many of them. Sure enough Qld got to a lead of 8-0 which was not too bad for NSW kicking against the wind, but then they turned the ball over and Qld struck with quick width and Tuttle giving a nice pass for the score to be made. So 13-0 at oranges.

It looked bad for NSW but they got themselves into good areas, picked and went to the cows came home, kicked a penalty and scored a try for 10-13. It was game on.

Then Qld played their best rugby: it wasn't pretty stuff but making dominant tackle after dominant tackle, and counter-rucking. In the end this was what won the game for them because the home team had their tails up after the try.`They bashed the NSW team and looked fitter and stronger and had better footie nous. For example they had a better idea of when not to commit, but of a sudden, when to flood and counter ruck, Highlander style.

It was a good effort from a NSW Twos team but the Qld tall timber of 2nd rowers Cornelson and Wrampling with Korcyz at 6, was intimidating at the lineout and Qld got a lot of NSW ball.

NSW

• 3. Robertson has made a reasonable fist this week of playing THP when he is a natural LHP and played well in this game. 11. H. Jones had a quieter game compared to his highlights reel game on Day 2, but linked well a couple of times with 13. Foketi, who got NSW going a few times when nothing looked on.

Queensland

• I'm not convinced about the Qld front row as a unit this year but 1. Pleash had his best game of the week and 2. Manu smashed some players in tackles and ran through others. The Queensland 4, 5 and 6 were good as mentioned, and Gunn playing 7. had his best game of the week.

• 11. Ioane had some exciting runs but blew a couple of tries: once when hogging the ball and another time with a wild pass. Selectors will hate that kind of thing. 12. Tuttle was more assured today and it will be interesting where the Oz selectors play him, as play him, they will. 14. Kellel had the NSW boys crapping themselves: he would have to be the fastest player in the comp but his shoulder popped out; so he could be out of the tournament.

• 15. Placid is one of the best runners of the tournament and went on a few good runs, which would have excited viewers who hadn't seen him before, but NSW contained him most of the time. He doesn't compare to McIntyre in all round play.

The winner's performance was not one that would have the NSW I coach shaking in his boots but he will know that the Qld I team left a few shots unfired and that they have the ability to spray a target with automatic fire when they are in the mood.

Status
Not open for further replies.