• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Qld I 13 - NSW II 10
NSW

• 3. Robertson has made a reasonable fist this week of playing THP when he is a natural LHP and played well in this game. 11. H. Jones had a quieter game compared to his highlights reel game on Day 2, but linked well a couple of times with 13. Foketi, who got NSW going a few times when nothing looked on.

Queensland

• I'm not convinced about the Qld front row as a unit this year but 1. Pleash had his best game of the week and 2. Manu smashed some players in tackles and ran through others. The Queensland 4, 5 and 6 were good as mentioned, and Gunn playing 7. had his best game of the week.

• 11. Ioane had some exciting runs but blew a couple of tries: once when hogging the ball and another time with a wild pass. Selectors will hate that kind of thing. 12. Tuttle was more assured today and it will be interesting where the Oz selectors play him, as play him, they will. 14. Kellel had the NSW boys crapping themselves: he would have to be the fastest player in the comp but his shoulder popped out; so he could be out of the tournament.

• 15. Placid is one of the best runners of the tournament and went of a few good runs but NSW contained him most of the time. He doesn't compare to McIntyre in all round play.

The winner's performance was not one that would have the NSW I coach shaking in his boots but he will know that the Qld I team left a few shots unfired and that they have the ability to spray a target with automatic fire when they are in the mood.

Want to put your Schools team up Lee ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
NSW I 22 Qld II 8

Like the Qld Is in the earlier game NSW took the foot off the throat after oranges, and Qld was able to get a 5-5 scoreline in the 2nd half with the wind at their backs.

I wasn't impressed by the NSW counter rucking, or attempts thereof, and on attack they didn't have enough players bending the defensive line around the rucks. Methinks they will do a few more pick and goes, and who knows - a maul or two - come Saturday.

Queensland had trouble in the lineout and 3 times took the throw at the top, only to have the ball carried forward by a NSW player at the bottom. Although it wasn't a huge scoreline against them there weren't too many stand out Qld players in the match, and any good they did was from team play.

They seemed to screw the scrum around a lot and it was counter-productive. Unlike senior rugby, in U/19 rugby, a wheeled scrum did not generate a turnover which meant resets; so their catch-up time got eroded. Maybe the NSW THP was bullied back, who knows?

NSW was guilty of throwing too many passes to players with the wrong jerseys on and should have gone to ground a few times instead - or at least had a look first. They also over-did the inside pass and run into traffic with 12. Moeroa and 13. Stewart, and the first-named dropped most of them anyway. That wasn't his only boo boo of the day either: a Sonny Bill Williams pass was more like one from Serena.

• The first NSW try illustrated the ability of two of NSW's best players this week: McIntyre ran into space and passed wide at full gallop to Kellaway who hared along touch and dished it in to a supporting player for a score. Simple but deadly. I looked at the number of the try scorer and it was the THP O'Connor !! He played well around the park and had his best game of the week.

Unlike many players at the tournament who are guns for their schools, these two blokes look like big match players. McIntyre has proved himself by coming off the bench to win a game against NZ Schools as a flyhalf, but now I think he is a better fullback. Also, unlike too many of the guns this week, they don't die with the ball, but facilitate the work of others with the good pass.

• 4. Rorke did some good hard things including getting over the gain line. He probably has the enforcer lock position for Oz, and his NSW Ones locking partners Manukeu and Lloyd plus the 3 Queenslanders will probably fight it out for the other 2nd row spots in the two teams.

• 6. Dempsey picked up his game in this match but he spoilt a chance after one of his long runs, with a bad pass. 7. Johnson has grown on me since the rep season started though it's probably a matter of my poor observation earlier than ordinary play from him.

• 8. I think that Whitely has done enough. He looked like a schoolboy Zinzan sometimes in the last 2 games, well, take that with a grain of salt, and I expect him to be picked to start for Oz. But since I am the world's worst selector, he probably won't be.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
SATURDAY 7TH JULY 2012 – FINALS DAY
0900Division II Sevens Knock out
1 v 32 v 4W v WThird Field
0900Division I: 4th v 4th Second Field
0900Division I: 3rd v 3rdFirst Field
1015Division I: 2nd v 2ndFirst Field
1130Presidents XV v Tongan SchoolsFirst Field
1300Division I: 1st v 1st First Field

Games are at Riverview.

Parking on site will NOT be free.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mate, we must have been watching a different game? O'Connor's technique is visibly flawed as he begins with an arched back and continues to bend moving forward [sorry backwards]. From impact he could not handle the weight on contact more often than not conceding his positional advantage to the opposition loose head allowing QLD to turn the scrum. The couple of bind issues the opposition L/H was penalized for were unfair calls as O'Connor was rapidly backpedaling before the QLD L/H could enforce his grip. Put simply he is in the team because his School Coach is the NSW 1st XV Head Coach. No such favours will be afforded in the Shute Shield Colts Program next year where he will be seriously found out!

I was at Riverview as was Lee Grant. You?

The first NSW try illustrated the ability of two of NSW's best players this week: McIntyre ran into space and passed wide at full gallop to Kellaway who hared along touch and dished it in to a supporting player for a score. Simple but deadly. I looked at the number of the try scorer and it was the THP O'Connor !! He played well around the park and had his best game of the week.

pine cone 3

Frank Nicholson (4)
I was at Riverview as was Lee Grant. You?

I was, and I agree with Tomasi's observations. O'Connor also struggled against the Victorian boys at scrum time. Your use of LG's words confirms nothing about the issue at hand, which is his difficulty with the primary function of a No3, holding up a scrum. If he was playing No6 then how he plays around the park would have more significance.

GlobeTrotter

Chris McKivat (8)
Can anyone make any reports about Pat Toeta, Vic. 10? Last time I saw him play in the 16's, I could see a correlation between his attributes and that of Ben Tapuai a few years ago, another youngster who I was fortunate to coach at 15/16 yrs old. Highly elusive ball playing fly-halves with deceptive pace off the mark, some good characteristics to have, although Taps continues to develop into something special in the midfield. I wonder how Toeta is going and whether he has a chance to impress the selectors like he impressed me last year.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Played front row most of my life (41 years young at the at the moment) Started playing there as a 5 year old in Porirua, Wellington NZ. Injury ended my participation in the game with the Oatley Rugby Club last year. I still continue to assist in coaching the tight five at Southern Districts Colts. Unless you or Lee have more frontrow experience than that, then I'll stick with my more informed assessment. He simply is not a T/H prop. From what I understand he only recently moved to the front row as a loosie a few years ago and to a certain degree he still plays like a loosie.

Indeed as was at the game - I wouldn't have made such a detailed report of his scrumming technique if I wasn't. What the?!

I'll also be there tomorrow under the scoreboard, come and see me if you'd like discuss further. Look for a big Samoan wearing Southern Districts gear. I hope to see you then!
CTPE & LG........suggest you meet him in centre field, on halfway line at half time of the main game......more witnesses.

Bill McLean (32)
CTPE & LG....suggest you meet him in centre field, on halfway line at half time of the main game..more witnesses.

and when you both do, hit Tomasi with the following:

Le Manu Samoa e, ia manú le fai o le faiva Le Manu Samoa e, ia manú le fai o le faiva
Le Manu Samoa e, ia manú le fai o le faiva
Le Manu Samoa lenei ua ou sau
Leai se isi Manu o le atulaulau
Ua ou sau nei ma le mea atoa
Ma lo'u malosi ua atoatoa
Ia e faatafa ma e sósó ese
Leaga o lenei Manu e uiga ese
Le Manu Samoa! Le Manu Samoa!
Le Manu Samoa e o mai i Samoa!
Hi!

And if he is still standing there, and looks even more upset, RUN, and FAST! Trust me he wont catch you, after all he is a 41 year old ex-prop with an injury!

:D cheers boys! :D

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
Played front row most of my life (41 years young at the at the moment) Started playing there as a 5 year old in Porirua, Wellington NZ. Injury ended my participation in the game with the Oatley Rugby Club last year. I still continue to assist in coaching the tight five at Southern Districts Colts. Unless you or Lee have more frontrow experience than that, then I'll stick with my more informed assessment. He simply is not a T/H prop. From what I understand he only recently moved to the front row as a loosie a few years ago and to a certain degree he still plays like a loosie.

Indeed as was at the game - I wouldn't have made such a detailed report of his scrumming technique if I wasn't. What the?!

I'll also be there tomorrow under the scoreboard, come and see me if you'd like discuss further. Look for a big Samoan wearing Southern Districts gear. I hope to see you then!

I love it; go Tomasi (mongrel up):)

Hey man, "41 years young at the moment"; it that Islander years or oz years.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Tomorrow is a huge day for a lot of aspiring young Aussie rugby players.
Some will be rewarded with the honour of representing their country, yet many others will feel disappointed to miss out.
Do your school, team mates, family and friends proud, leave it all on the field and nothing in the tank.
Good luck to all players and officials, hope luck favours the brave and that injuries aren't a factor.
And somehow, amongst all the madness and mayhem, make sure you enjoy yourselves!!!

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
and when you both do, hit Tomasi with the following:

Le Manu Samoa e, ia manú le fai o le faiva Le Manu Samoa e, ia manú le fai o le faiva
Le Manu Samoa e, ia manú le fai o le faiva
Le Manu Samoa lenei ua ou sau
Leai se isi Manu o le atulaulau
Ua ou sau nei ma le mea atoa
Ma lo'u malosi ua atoatoa
Ia e faatafa ma e sósó ese
Leaga o lenei Manu e uiga ese
Le Manu Samoa! Le Manu Samoa!
Le Manu Samoa e o mai i Samoa!
Hi!

And if he is still standing there, and looks even more upset, RUN, and FAST! Trust me he wont catch you, after all he is a 41 year old ex-prop with an injury!

:D cheers boys! :D

Yes but he might catch a much older ex-prop who has difficulty even contemplating using the words RUN and FAST in the same phrase!. I think I'll just pay some kids to deliver hand written notes of my observations to him and see where that gets me!

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
:D:D:D@CTPE!

So your theory is, 'dont shoot the messenger'!

Pay the kid well :)
Newbie, you're new to this and your inexperience could cost someone their life.
CTPE needs to use a lot of kids, not one kid, as one kid will be too easy to follow back to him.
Use lots of kids, responses come back in text not in person, and he should be safe.
Don't forget to use your program to cover your lips while speaking, like NFL coaches.
Use a 3rd person off site to pay the kids in cash.

E

elcapitano

Declan O’Donohoe is pure class, while he may not be the most naturally gifted player in oz it should be well recognized that he is the hardest working and most determined on the football pitch. i would be surprised to see him left out of the oz side, the selectors must remember that hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard and noone is showing more will at the moment than O'Donowho

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Newbie, you're new to this and your inexperience could cost someone their life.
CTPE needs to use a lot of kids, not one kid, as one kid will be too easy to follow back to him.
Use lots of kids, responses come back in text not in person, and he should be safe.
Don't forget to use your program to cover your lips while speaking, like NFL coaches.
Use a 3rd person off site to pay the kids in cash.

Brilliant strategy IIWII - I had considered using more than one kid but the rest of the advice is just sensational.

Brian Westlake

Arch Winning (36)
According to my spies, it was not too far off a NSWII v NSWI Final. The Red teams seemed to be a little off their games today.

Last time that happened was in 2002 IIRC. Can't recall a QLD 1 v QLD2 final.
Huge it was close. I honestly think that a couple of changes should or shouldn't have been made. (The coaches I think were made of that instead of listening to an old sage).

Status
Not open for further replies.