• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I guess the injured boys in Aust A and Sandell are still in the running for an end of year tour spot, but they have unfortunately given up the inside running to their replacements. It can be a hard fight to get to the top of the selectors clipboard if you are on the bench injured, especially if the replacement makes a good fist of their chance.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
A light distraction from the AAGPS issues.

Around the nation, in Cairns, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Melbourne, Canberra and Sydney, 23 boys (and their families) selected for the Australian Schoolboys are nervously going through their final arrangements for their travel into Camp on Friday in preparation for next weeks games vs Fiji and New Zealand.

Rest assured there will be no airport shenanagans or discourteous behaviour from these fine lads.

Any aspiring Homebrand boys will be disappointed to learn that there is a 10pm "in bed with lights out" curfew while in camp, and mobile phones and ipods are to be turned off during formal functions and meetings.

Key timings:
27 September 2pm Everyone is on camp at Knox Grammar
1 OCtober 12:30 kick off in Aust A vs NZ Schools
1 October 14:30 kick off in Aust Schools vs Fiji U18
5 October 15:00 Kick off Aust A vs Fiji Schools
5 October 17:00 kick off Aust Schools v NZ Schools

No mention of a Friday evening bus trip to St.Marys to watch Fiji & NZ go round?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
No mention of a Friday evening bus trip to St.Marys to watch Fiji & NZ go round?

My snouts tell me that with everyone assembling on Friday afternoon, there will be a stack of admin and logistics issues to be covered that will probably not allow time for the boys to go to St Marys to preview the enemy hopefully bashing the bejesus out of each other.

I would be most surprised if ASRU don't video the game and do their analysis on the teams prior to doing a "Kafe's Chalkboard" thing at one of their "lecture sessions" prior to a training session, maybe on Saturday for the Fiji game and Wednesday for the Kiwi game (2 lots of tapes to review).

I'd imagine that the coaches would want to have the opponents game plans, and strengths and weaknesses introduced to the boys in a controlled and professional manner, on their terms.

Our boys are in town to win 2/2 and not to show what good hosts they are and how much they enjoy watching footy. That is our job as Gaggerlanders.

Have we got anyone volunteering to jot down some notes on the enemies performances on Friday night?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Did Sandell play through to the GPS last round?

Found this on the GPS 2013 thread about the Joeys v Kings game in the penultimate AAGPS round.
A very good game of rugby between Kings and Joeys today, joeys up 14-0 early but Kings came back with power and excellent ball skills in the back line. kings dominant in the loose, over shadowing Joeys significantly at the breakdown. kings scrum also dominant especially when Sandell injured. Kings/Riverview game next week will be very close.

Looks like he may have done the damage there.

Any of the Joeys associated posters know if he will be fit and OK for Europe?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Dell struggled in the second half of the GPS season and had to retire before the final whistle against Shore and Kings (at least) - and he missed the last one, against Scots.

As Newbie indicates: his absence is going to be significant.

village

Frank Row (1)
After 10mins it was 12-10, looked like it could be a good day for country.
Fiji's bigger overall size kicked in, as to the final score, Fiji down about 15 points in missed kicks!
Country had some good runs up the middle using their big forwards, and through the centers, country No10 probably their best. Fiji created a lot of loose/turnover ball at the tackle. Plenty of nolook, pop and roundthecorner passes. Fiji's No7 (and captain I think) was best, hard to pick others as they ran all their reserves and at one stage there was three No8 jerseys on the pitch. Their No11 is big & fast, but regularly ran himself out of space.
Unfortunatley no programme or team lists, bring on next Friday, Tue 1st and Sat 5th.
Country Captain Sam Dick was Players player of the match and Coaches player of the match.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have heard its not. I am hoping people will post frequent updates during the games and maybe video as well.

They usually televise a replay of Oz Schools v NZ matches in Oz some weeks later to fill in their programming after the various footie seasons are over.

When Oz tours NZ, a rugby union country, it is live in NZ and therefore Foxtel taps into the live feed because it usually not on the weekend - or at least, that has been the case on our last two visits.

Bill McLean (32)
Well sports fans the Fiji v NZ game is 20 mins out from kick-off and both teams are warming up at present. Let me say this Fijian team certainly has some size about it; and across the whole team not just the forwards. All seem to be very speedy!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^
Wow. That puts the hiding that NSW Country Schools got from Fiji into some perspective.

Not sure that this is a good omen for Aust A. The Darkness will be out to prove a point on Tuesday.

Looking forward to your more detailed report Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
The Game
Prior to kick-off it was patently obvious that the Fijians were the bigger of the two packs across the whole of both line-ups. Admittedly I didn't know much about the Fijian team prior to tonight's game, however I did find it quite interesting that NZ chose not to run out (what I believe is) their first string team. Furthermore, of those who did take the field some were not playing in what I understood to be their normal and favoured positions. Given that this was a test match, for me it showed a complete lack of respect for the Fijians and ultimately New Zealand has now paid the price for its mistake.

1st Half
The 1st half started ominously for New Zealand and it was all them for the first 10 minutes of the game. Admittedly NZ were assisted by repeat infringements from Fiji at the breakdown. The first try of the game came during this period of play via a NZ scrum on the Fijian 20m line. From the put-in the ball went through the backs, and sweeping around off the back of the scrum was the speedy 8. Ioane, who then linked up with the outside centre, to accept the pass and then barge his way over the try line. The conversion from 10. Gatland was successful and it was NZ 7 - Fiji 0. This was obviously all the motivation Fiji needed because from the restart it was virtually all Fiji until the end of the half.
During this period the Fijians absolutely dominated their New Zealand counterparts. They just harassed and outmuscled NZ in both attack and defence, especially in defence where the Fijians were always quickly up and in the faces of the New Zealanders, creating pressure which ultimately forced errors. It was a NZ error that lead to Fiji's first try when Fiji’s lightning quick 2. Sivo made a break 10m inside the New Zealand half on the right-hand flank, running near 30m to link up with 11. Nakailagi, putting the latter in for a try. Not long after Fiji had a scrum on New Zealand's 20m line, where off the back of the scrum 8. Laganikoro scooped up the ball and ran the distance to cross the line for Fiji's second try. Regrettably Fiji was unable to convert both tries, and with just under 10 minutes left on the clock it was Fiji 10 - NZ 7.
In the last minutes of the first Half Fiji's lack of discipline at the breakdown again prove costly and gave NZ some much-needed possession and field position. Fortunately for NZ they were able to convert this into points, where on the back of some good forward play 7. Karpik was able to cross the line for New Zealand's second try. The conversion from 10. Gatland was successful and it was NZ 14 - Fiji 10 with only minutes left on the clock. In the last minutes of the half NZ 8. Ioane was yellow carded for body slamming a Fijian lock in a tackle. Like his teammates Ioane had become very frustrated with the spirited ‘in your face’ approach of the Fijians. At oranges there was a sniff of an upset in the air and didn't the mainly Fijian crowd know it!

Second Half
The 2nd half started like the first one ended; all Fiji! Admittedly they were still giving silly penalties away for infringements at the breakdown which was constantly letting New Zealand back into the game. Nonetheless 8. Ioane still in the sin-bin for NZ Fiji were able to convert pressure into points with 4. Boletawa crossing the line for a great try off the back of some very good lead up play. The conversion was unsuccessful but Fiji took the lead for the first time in the game with 15 – 14 on the scoreboard. By this time the parochial Fijian crowd (of a few hundred people) was going absolutely nuts and their boys were feeding off this fervour. No matter what NZ did the Fijians were able to counter.
Unlike the Fijian back line the NZ backs were unable to generate any real flow. Quite often passes were pushed (which I will attribute to good Fijian defence - though I did question the offside on occasion) but more often than not the NZ outside backs seemed to overrun the ball that always seemed to be coming excruciatingly slow from their halves. With approximately 15 to 20 minutes to go NZ introduced wholesale (and much-needed) changes off the bench; and positionally on the field. These changes were what the doctor ordered and gradually NZ were able to work themself back into the game. These changes coupled with some Fijian ill-discipline gifted NZ two easy penalty goals to take the lead 20 – 15 with less than 10 minutes left on the clock.
NZ had a perfect opportunity to close out the game but butchered a certain try with more ill-timed passing. Then with just over a minute on the clock it seemed that New Zealand would hang onto an undeserved victory, however someone forgot to tell the Fijians because with one last surge 12. Kikau made a scintillating break just inside New Zealand's half to go the distance under the posts. The try was converted and merry mayhem was unleashed in the grandstand and around the ground; Fiji 22 - NZ 20, what and historic victory!

Set Pieces
Line-outs
Both teams had some very tall timber in their line-outs, however the Fijian locks were physically larger in build. Given this aspect I had expected the NZ boys to be more agile in the air but this was not the case because the Fijians were more than equal to the task; in fact they dominated this set piece in my opinion. Admittedly I do have some lingering questions about Fiji's offside play at the lineout because they were always readily able to pressure the NZ halves off each NZ win from a NZ throw-in.

Scrums
The scrums were quite even and I cannot recall either team losing a scrum on their own feed.

Best On-field
New Zealand
All in all NZ was clearly outmuscled by a more determined and physically bigger and motivated Fijian team. For NZ 8. Ioane and 7. Karpik never stopped working and had good impact in both attack and defence. Each also scored a try. 4. Lane and 5. Goodhue were always in thick of the action but lacked physical size to make any real impact. Finally, though there wasn't really enough time to tell, NZ did seem to make some inroads when 21. Levian (Scrum-Half) and 22. Apa (wing) came on as replacements, and 11. McNicol moved into full-back role. For mine these players should have been in the starting line-up (and their preferred position) given that it was an international test!

Fiji
For the Fijians 1. Vasukilulu was absolutely outstanding. He trucked the ball up all night long for the Fijians and gave the NZ boys no end of headaches. He led by example and was a crowd favourite everytime got the ball. He also likes to engage the opposition in conversation at scrum time. Australia will really need to watch this player (hell Australia will need to watch the whole lot of them). In addition to the prop was 12. Kikau. This man mountain was undeniably devastating in both attack and defence and I am so looking forward to his matchup against Moeroa. He will be a handful and a half! 8. Laganikoro also did some great things. The locks were always in the thick of it as too were their crafty halves who managed to strip ample ball away from many a NZ attacker. TBH all of their boys played extremely well!

Bill McLean (32)
One last thing I forgot to mention; you wont die wondering about Fiji's committment!

Like all junior rugby tournaments (and league tournaments for that matter) that i have seen over the years, this will be about how well the respective touring squads will be able to maintain health and vibrancy! And unlike the Australian teams the tourists each have one extra (hard) game against the 'A' team!

It seemed like Fiji poured out their souls for that victory against NZ last night, and I truly wonder if they will have any reserve in the tank for their meeting against Australia?

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
One last thing I forgot to mention; you wont die wondering about Fiji's committment!

Like all junior rugby tournaments (and league tournaments for that matter) that i have seen over the years, this will be about how well the respective touring squads will be able to maintain health and vibrancy! And unlike the Australian teams the tourists each have one extra (hard) game against the 'A' team!

It seemed like Fiji poured out their souls for that victory against NZ last night, and I truly wonder if they will have any reserve in the tank for their meeting against Australia?

Outstanding report newbie. Twas a great night to be Fijian (or perhaps more correctly Fijian for the night). It was also so refreshing to see Henry Speight running the water for the Fijian side and thus showing that good old fashioned grassroots support & old school rugby ethos that young blokes thrive on.

Benched '84

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fiji upset NZ 22-20. A tried scored in the dying seconds gives them an historic victory!
Great report Newbs, but IMO,not that historic afterall,;) because, according to the programme, they have only played twice before, surprising!
2002 in NZ, nz won 46-3 & 2004 in Fiji, nz won 30-17, I would have thought these two teams would have played more regularly.
Last night, Fiji only kicked one conversion(the winning one!) from4, and also missed 2or3 penalties, they won 4 tries to 2. The way a game should be won!!

Status
Not open for further replies.