• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
For domestic rugby the age grade of young England players is determined by their age at midnight on 31st August at the beginning of each season.

But at the U/17 and U/18 elite level, only, the player's age grade is determined by their age at midnight on 31st December.

Thus the England lads who played Oz Schools would have been classified as U/18 the same as our guys were. When their school year ended was irrelevant.

This puts the Pom lads in step with IRB classification of U/20s down the track.

I don't doubt that this is the same for other countries in Europe because it enables the core of their national elite youth teams to stay together for elite age-grade competitions against each other.

This culminates in the 6N U/20 competition from which the IRB U/20 squads are chosen.

What is the solution? The solution is to get games against U/18 players who are schoolboys, as the Leinster and Munster matches will be.

There is one problem with that—such a tour will not benefit the host unions who run the elite youth programmes.

To tack on something that is outside the scope of their annual U/17 and U/18 routines once every four years, adds no value to their programmes; so they won't provide such schoolboy opponents at the "test" level as they used to back in the day. Times have changed.

I can't see a real solution. We could scrap the schoolboys idea and send an U/18 team over whether they are schoolboys or not.

That idea is anathema to me, and since the boys who had left school already wouldn't have been attached to an Academy for a couple of years as the Poms lads were, anyway, it would scarcely make a difference.

I suppose that we could avoid countries that don't provide school teams. Since we did get schools games against Leinster and Munster, we should do some extra work get other "midweek" games, and some school test games even if they are in France or Italy, or in 2nd tier countries.

The ASRU has no leverage in these matters so the ARU should help them, although, truth be told, they would rather use the England system.

Surely something could be arranged a year in advance, in the back rooms, by our ARU officials when they attend IRB meetings.

We have only 4 franchises who offer virtually fully professional rugby. Only exceptionally talented schoolboys (Beale, QC (Quade Cooper)) make the immediate transition into any of those systems.
They have more than that in or very close to London alone - and they start them at 16.
There is no way the ARU could afford to run an operation anything like that from age 16, let alone any of the state unions. And in England these are merely clubs - clubs with money. Clubs who can sell out Twickenham for a dreary game of 10 man rugby.
And the more bitter fact is that we do not have the cattle to do it.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
You are wrong about the cattle IMO.
Look at all the kids that competed at the Oz Nationals at Riverview.
Many of those kids were the raw product,holding their own against some kids who train 8 -10 times a week.
Put them all in the same program for two years and see how the pecking order changes.
But we will never know,as you say we don't have the cash to find out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Weather report from the Tour supporters:
Not too cold and the wind is not too bad, field is wet. Odd shower passing

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aus lead extended to 16 points after two more PK from Deegan, and meat pie to Moeroa, converted by Deegan.

Scots getting pinged for lots of penalties, and giving easy field posession to Aus.

Wind is favouring Aus.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Oranges.

Aus now lead 23-0 after lovely try to Kellaway, running straight off a Deegan cut.

A fair result with the wind.

Rain is holding off and the Aus backs are starting to spin it with confidence.
Forwards doing a good job in slippery conditions but the scrum is unstable.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Play resumes with more of the same:
26-0 after Deegan kicks another penalty into the wind.

Coach says your work is done, and Deegan is subbed off. Mitchell Third is on.

Rain arrives, swirling in and making it difficult for open, clean play. Oz scrum being pushed around by Scots piggies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aus 29 - Sco 0.
Third converts another penalty after good lead up work from the forwards.
Good burst up the touchline by Hanigan.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Aus 29 - Sco 5. After multiple interchanges from both sides, Scotland go berserk as their No.8 picks it up from the side of the scrum and sprints 20mtrs to score meat to break their duck.

Rain still around.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Full time score: Aus 29 Sco 5

Aus: Try Moeroa, Kellaway. Conversion Deegan 2. Penalty Deegan 4, Third 1
Sco: Try #8

@cdeegan reports on twitter: A good game in difficult conditions. Probably Scottish rugby is more similar to Oz Schools i.e man on man match ups.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Match Schedule
22 Nov v Wales A - Neath RFC - Australia 15 Wales A 18
27 Nov v Wales - Neath RFC - Australia 12 Wales 26
1 Dec v Ospreys - Bridgend - Australia 31 - Ospreys 7
4 Dec v England - Harrow School, Australia 3 - England 23
8 Dec v Scotland - Edinburgh, Australia 29 - Scotland 5
11 Dec v Leinster Schools - Donnybrook, 19:00
14 Dec v Ireland - Belfast, 14:30
17 Dec v Munster Schools - Limerick, 17:00

P 5, W 2, L 3, PF 90 (11T, 7C, 7 Pen), PA 79 (10T, 7C, 5 Pen)

Point Scorers
Milne 1 T
McCalman 1 T
Deegan 3 Con, 5 Pen
Fakaosilea 1 T
Third 1 T, 4 Con, 2 Pen
Anderson 1 T
Guttenbeil 1 T
Hutchison 1 T
Moeroa 3 T
Kellaway 1 T

Tahspark

Ted Thorn (20)
Thanks for your early morning vigil and keeping us up to date, HJ. Hopefully no injuries to report from the Scots game?

Given the balance of the itinerary, looking forward to the Aussies returning with a positive win/loss ratio from the tour.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for providing those updates HJ.

You must have had a busy night with reporting on the Sevens and the schools stuff—and we appreciate the work.

I looked at the Scotland Rugby website whilst I was watching the Sevens and before I went to bed but there was no live feed as for the Pom game.

I would fancy their chances beating Leinster and Munster, which are schoolboy teams and we must be a good chance against Ireland Under 18 which I imagine is not better than the Wales Under 18 Academy side.

Here is a report from the Australian Schools tour manager Paul Geddes:

Macquarie Bank Australian Schools v Scotland Under 18s

George Watson College playing field, Myreside
Sunday 8th December 2013

The bagpipes played as the Macquarie Bank Australian Schools warmed up on a very wet and windy late afternoon for their match against Scotland Under 18s at the Edinburgh ”Watsonians” home ground.

The Australians won the toss and chose to run with the strong wind at their backs and quickly applied pressure on the Scottish defense. The Australian Boys were playing with great ball control drawing early penalties from the infringing Scottish players.

Fly half, Andrew Deegan kicked an early penalty goal from long range to give his side the early lead. A familiar pattern existed from the restart with the Australian ball runners threatening the Scottish defense.

The Australians were awarded another penalty in kicking range and Andrew Deegan accurately slotted the ball straight between the uprights for a 6-0 lead to Australia.

From the restart Scotland failed to make the ten meter line and from a center field scrum the Australian backs made good ground with Tepai Moeroa, Andrew Kelliher and Harry Jones looking dangerous.

As Australia looked certain to score, Magnus Bradbury, the Scottish big number eight, took out Australian half, Mitchell Short off the ball and was sent from the field with a yellow card.

Once again Andrew Deegan slotted the extras and the Australians raced to a lead of 9-0. The Scottish continued to give away penalties as the Australians played more on the front foot with dangerous runners across the park creating space.

Big center, Tepai Moeroa broke a tackle about 20 meters out and raced in for the first try just right of the uprights. Weather conditions were worsening as Andrew Deegan converted the try for Australia to lead 16-0.

With driving wind and rain at their backs, the Australians continued to play dry weather rugby and were impressing all with tremendous control. On the back of strong forward charges, the Australian backs launched an attacking raid out wide which saw fullback, Andrew Kelliher, slice through the Scottish defensive line to score Australia’s second try just on the stroke of half time.

Andrew Deegan converted to maintain his one hundred percent success rate with the boot for Australia to lead 23-0 as the teams retreated to the warmth of the dressing rooms.

The second half started and it was now Australia’s turn to run into the strong wind and rain. Superb ball control was once again evident from Australia as they applied early pressure on Scotland.

An early penalty was awarded to Australia and Andrew Deegan continued his kicking accuracy with another kick successful and Australia extending their lead to 26-0. Scotland, on the back of strong charges from number 8, Magnus Bradbury started to threaten the Australian defensive line but inspired tackling across the park halted Scottish progress time and again.

The Australians once again returned fire and they were awarded another penalty within kicking range. Andrew Deegan had previously been replaced after a fine match and his replacement, Mitchell Third, kicked the penalty goal for Australia to lead 29-0.

From the restart, Scotland managed a turn over from the Australians and threatened the line on several occasions with strong runs. They were finally rewarded with the last try of the match when the impressive number 8, Magnus Bradbury beat a tackle to score wide out and a well- deserved try.

The try was not converted and the Australians held out for their first test win on tour to run out worthy winners 29-5. The squad now looks forward to the final leg of the tour in Ireland and three more tough matches on the road in Dublin, Belfast and Limerick.

PS
We are very proud of the Boys tonight after their big win over Scotland. I can report there are no serious injuries and the mood in the squad is very positive. The boys prepared very well today for this match and played their best match on tour to this point.

The big lunch at Mama Roma’s restaurant, Edinburgh also played a big part where the Boys loaded up on plenty of carbohydrates. Will Maher, our team physiotherapist has a long list of soft tissue injuries to treat tonight before we depart for another long trip by road and sea to Ireland tomorrow.

It must have been a surprise for the Scot spectators to see the Aussies run with the ball in those conditions and must have made the Oz touring party proud.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A new bloke called up to replace Andrew Kellaway?

Funnily enough he has the same first name - Andrew Kelliher. Never heard of him before but it sounds like new Andrew has some skills. Kellaway will need to keep on his toes or he may not get too many more starting gigs.

I was up watching the Saffer 7's. and mostly pasting the tweets of cdeegan for match updates. Thanks should go to cdeegan who I can only think is a parent of Andrew, and is following the tour.

Apart from the rather poor performance from the Men in Gold in the Sevens, there were some cracking good games last night/this morning. Too exciting to sleep.

Regardles of your "normal" feelings for the Saffers, it was great to see the Saffers win the Cup at Naleson Mandela Bay Stadium (and thoroughly deserved) on what must be a very emotional day for the entire country.

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
MACQUARIE BANK AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS RUGBY TEAM to play LEINSTER UNDER 18
At Donnybrook, Dublin WEDNESDAY 11th DECEMBER 2013

1 Evander Guttenbeil The Southport School, QLD
2 Timote Tai Marist College, ACT
3 Matt Gibbon St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
4 Lachlan Cannell Newington College, NSW
5 Ned Hanigan St. Joseph’s College, NSW
6 David Morris Newington College, NSW
7 Douglas MacMillan Anglican Church Grammar School, QLD
8 Rohboni Warren Vosayaco Endeavour Sports HS
9 James Tuttle © St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
10 Mitchell Third The Southport School, QLD
11 Adrian Henley Trinity Anglican School, Cairns, QLD
12 Keith Morgan St. Edmund’s College, ACT
13 Tepai Moeroa Newington College, NSW
14 James Todd Ipswich Grammar School, QLD
15 Taane Milne Newington College, NSW
16 Matthew Sandell St. Joseph’s College, NSW
17 Alex Mafi St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD
18 Fereti Sa’aga Thornbury HS, VIC
19 Josh Anderson Oakhill College, NSW
20 Vunipola Fifita Newington College, NSW
21 Mitchell Short The Scot’s College, NSW
22 Andrew Deegan St. Joseph’s College, NSW
23 Henry Hutchison St. Ignatius’ College, NSW

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
3 Matt Gibbon St. Joseph’s Nudgee College, QLD

Have we broken a prop?

I recall Gibbon being in the Aust A team for the Knox Games earlier in the year, but not originally in the NH Tour squad.

2 Timote Tai Marist College, ACT
I am assuming that this fellow is the same as Siuta Tai, Marist College Canberra, and that Timote is just another name he operates under. I had him fingered as a #8/loose forward.

Good to see young Tuttle get the Captain's armband. I have been impressed with his play in the games I have seen him play.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I heard there was a new prop being flown over but I don't know who he replaced and was asked not to mention it, but I'm sure that the tireless HJ will do an forensic analysis for us and tell us who is missing from selections

Albeit a few days late, here are some very interesting comments on the Scotland game from my tour snout.

Thought you might be interested in the following extract from the program from last weekends match against Scotland.

About Scotland Under 19's

This is the first time a Scotland age grade side has played an Australian Schools side in 11 years and, due to the relative difference in age bandings, the Scotland side is a mixture of age grades, the majority being in this years U18 + U20 extended squads.

The side, which for the purpose of this game only, will be called Scotland U19, has been coached primarily by the Scotland U18 coaches, who know their players well either from their involvement last season or in the early part of this season.

Recent inclusions in Scotland national squad - Jonny Gary & Mark Bennett, alongside more established caps Stuart Hogg & Duncan Weir, came through Scotland age grade programs at both levels.

Following todays game, the players will return under the umbrella of their respective U18 & U20 age grade squads, with camps and selection fixtures planned over the next few months prior to finalising squads for their respective 2014 squads.

Remarks from the snout

According to a spectator sitting behind us at the match, there were at least three 19 year olds playing (u20's I suspect).

Their size and skill level would suggest that to be a pretty good guess !
Additional observations from me…….

Back line seemed to have a bit more time with Short at half, although he was caught by their flanker a couple of times , with our scrum being pushed back or screwed considerably.

Perhaps ref let things go a bit too far.

Interestingly, I thought the ref let things flow pretty well, and played plenty of advantage.

The Scots were on the wrong end of the penalty count by a fair bit - and were apparently pretty upset with the ref after the match !

Wingers again struggled to get much ball to have a crack with. Harry Jones made a couple of good runs before coming off with a foot injury, but other winger hardly touched the ball. Seemed to get “clogged up” in the centres….
Tepai had a number of solid bursts but was pretty well covered most times, but always took a couple of defenders with him.

Under the conditions, a great result, with the boys trying to run it from just about anywhere.

Observation - Hannibal really stepping up to do plenty of grunt work, as did McCalman & McMillan.

(LG - "Hannibal" is Ned Hanigan.)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Recent inclusions in Scotland national squad - Jonny Gary & Mark Bennett, alongside more established caps Stuart Hogg & Duncan Weir, came through Scotland age grade programs at both levels.

Following todays game, the players will return under the umbrella of their r

Son of Doddie?

Status
Not open for further replies.