• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm torn between knowing in my bones that some kids have an easier path and recognising that selecting on a tournament for a once in a lifetime thing is a bloody hard thing to do.
But i am also hamstrung by the fact that I can see absolutely no attraction in playing league: frankly, if a 17 year old is looking to play either code for money then he's going to be disappointed and, more importantly, not getting picked in one of these teams statistically improves his chances of playing s15 and test rugby.
Thats the message I'm hammering at this time of year.

I agree completely. This tournament is sadly becoming something I am sure it was never meant to be. It's like it has become the HSC of Rugby, i.e pass and your into Rugby Uni...fail and your finished. Much like the HSC, anybody who has actually done it before and failed will tell you it's not the end of the earth and if anything your life is just beginning in a whole new way you never probably imagined.

Because of this situation there are effects rippling across junior rugby which are damaging the image of the game and seriously affecting peoples choice to actually play the game. As I mentioned earlier, 'second tier' schools are going to find it harder and harder to retain kids playing rugby because if they firstly don't attend the 'right school' then their chances of being picked in higher rep teams begins to diminish. In my opinion, this is absolute BS and someone within the ASRU needs to do something to implement independent selection committees to avoid this perception growing any further.

If the ASRU looks at some these schools they wil note with interest that many already offer various other sports which fight with ferocity to get kids playing them each year. Many of these schools do not play in say the very structured GPS comps where in winter kids have a choice of either Rugby or Soccer. Some offer sports including AFL, Hockey, soccer, basketball and rugby all at the same time and often kids have to chose on over the other. On top of this many will also play league for a club outside the school. Rugby union is seriously on shakey ground within some of these schools and if things do not improve on the rep front there could be some real problems in the future with retaining kids in the game.

Obviuosly not every kid is rep standard and they wont be affected, But those that are or could be but feel they are being overlooked because thay may be at the 'wrong school' could easily jump ship at any time.

F McGrath

Stan Wickham (3)
Didn't see 1 minute of these trials. That said how does a winger who is 17 and playing NRL 20's not get picked in either of these teams. It's amazing how many of these players make a name for themselves outside of school considering the lack of faith shown by the selection panel. It's no wonder that league is the stronger code.
Just wondering if you didn't see the games, is it possible that there were some better rugby players at the championships who are really committed to the game. I saw some talented wingers this week.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Who knows Inside Shoulder, maybe they didn't like his mouthguard ! I witnessed today some parents in long discussions with a particular selector, its not right, Its a shame but Union have lost this lad and by the sounds of it others as well.

Sounds like the only thing being discussed was the threat that if he didn't get selected that he would fly north, and guess what, he wasn't selected, so he flew to cairns, looks like the selectors got that one right!

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
There is always going to questioning on selections for any side regardless if there is politics involved or not. Just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Nothing is going to change with the political aspect of the game. It's the same in every schoolboy sport in Australia.

One thing I might point out is that for qld more Aic players gained selection In Australian schools side than Qld GPS kids did. The politics obviously didn't play a part there as qld GPS is well know to be the dominant competition and that you would expect to see it the other way around as far as aic vs GPS boys gaining aus selection.

George Smith

Ted Thorn (20)
46 players were named this afternoon for some games coming up against Fiji and NZ. Later this year the ASRU will name 30 players names for the tour to UK. I am sure there will be more disappointment and some with relief.

Being selected for one of these teams is not a reward for hard work or attending a particular school. The squads selected are merely representing the ASRU and the Australian schools' stakeholders at this particular time. If the squads were being selected a little earlier or later then maybe their composition would be different.

The essence of the game in these recent blogs here is under question, not the selectors. I am glad that some boys have chosen to walk. I am glad that some parents have made these players' decisions easier.

You cannot go through life having a dummy spit when things are tough or uncomfortable. This is why we love rugby so much. James Horwill, I am sure, will not go and play another sport tomorrow after being disappointed today.

strokeside

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well something is going right, last years Schoolboy tour was very successful and NSW has just put QLD on their arse!

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
If he has a contract to play Rugby League for this year and has a bonus written in his contract,if he makes Mungo Schoolboys,and he has a contract for next year,WTF is he doing at a Rugby selection trial this year?
Just like some other Schoolboys who are also with NRL Clubs who played and got picked. They are all Schoolboys are entitled to compete and represent their school and they enjoy playing Union as well.

Roar

Herbert Moran (7)
Sounds like the only thing being discussed was the threat that if he didn't get selected that he would fly north, and guess what, he wasn't selected, so he flew to cairns, looks like the selectors got that one right!
No, What I know is, this has been Scheduled a while back and both codes have come together so it could be fitted in after the Rugby. He is not the only Lad competing. Lol. So No Threat at all, don't know what your talking about.

Mrs Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Just a question - Today when they were giving out certificates to the Northern Territiory team I am sure they said some of the boys were from Charles Darwin Uni. How does that work?

Mrs Rugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Just like some other Schoolboys who are also with NRL Clubs who played and got picked. They are all Schoolboys are entitled to compete and represent their school and they enjoy playing Union as well.
I think there were 3 boys who did get picked who were also flying to Cairns this evening

sootyanddave

Allen Oxlade (6)
Didn't see 1 minute of these trials. That said how does a winger who is 17 and playing NRL 20's not get picked in either of these teams. It's amazing how many of these players make a name for themselves outside of school considering the lack of faith shown by the selection panel. It's no wonder that league is the stronger code.

He wasn't robbed.He had a few chances to impress and didn't.
he didn't play badly,but did not excel.
Maybe a little unlucky when you consider who was picked.
But in fairness he is not as versatile.
League the Stronger code?
Of the 4 I know of that trialed.One had great footwork and a fend,the other 3 were just stronger physically. When the rest catch up physically,what will be their point of difference?
IMO the focus on reducing errors,has had the effect of deskilling the Mungo players.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are probably some boys (selected and non-selected) flying to the Snow this evening for the family annual skiing holiday.

Some go to Cairns for a Greco-Roman Rugby competition. Some may go on holiday in the School holidays. Some may hit the books, because HSC is just around the corner.
Some may even be receiving private tuition in Sudoko so they can join John Eales in the Aust Sudoko team.

What does it matter what these kids are doing in their non-rugby time?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who knows Inside Shoulder, maybe they didn't like his mouthguard ! I witnessed today some parents in long discussions with a particular selector, its not right, Its a shame but Union have lost this lad and by the sounds of it others as well.

I concur that it's not right that parents have long discussions with selectors.

Enjoy the occasion. Watch your boy play some footy. Chat with some of the other parents from your school or club. Catch up with old mates. Try and spot George Smith's Weimaraner,or Rugby Mums dog with little legs. Rejoice in a NSW v NSW Final.

Playing Rep Rugby is a step on a journey to becoming a professional rugby player.
Attending University is a step on a journey to a professional life.

How many kids finish their degree and enter the workplace in the discipline they intended when they first commenced their University studies? 10 years after graduation, how many are still doing what they first qualified for?

Let kids be kids.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Teams are up on the Aust Schools RU Web Site

(Alphabetic order)

AUSTRALIAN SCHOOLS TEAM TO PLAY FIJI & NEW ZEALAND
Joshua ANDERSON Oakhill College NSW 1
Lachlan CANNELL Newington College NSW 1
Andrew DEEGAN St Joseph’s College NSW 1
Junior FAKAOSILEA St Patrick’s College QLD 1
Vunipola FIFITA Newington College NSW 2
Ned HANIGAN St Joseph’s College NSW 2
Adrian HENLEY St Peter’s Lutheran College QLD 1
Henry HUTCHISON St Ignatius College NSW 2
Harry JONES Barker College NSW 1
Andrew KELLAWAY The Scots College NSW 1
Alex MAFI St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1
Jack McCALMAN The Kings School NSW 1
Connal McINERNEY Erindale College ACT
Taane MILNE Newington College NSW 1
Tepai MOEROA Newington College NSW 1
Fereti SA'AGA Thornbury High VIC
Matthew SANDELL St Joseph’s College NSW 1
Faaope SATUI Trinity Grammar NSW 1
Mitchell SHORT The Shore School Scots College NSW 1
Moses SOROVI St Peter’s Lutheran College QLD 2
Mitch THIRD The Southport School QLD 1
Rahboni WARREN-VOSAYACO Endeavour Sports High NSW 1
Brad WILKIN Iona College QLD 1

Paul GEDDES Manager NSW
John ROWNES Asst Manager NSW
Stephen PHILLPOTTS Coach QLD
Tim RAPP Asst Coach NSW
Dr Chris THOMAS Doctor QLD
William MAHER Physiotherapist ACT
Andy CLARK Technical Assistant ACT
Simon HARRIES S&C NSW

AUSTRALIA A SCHOOLS TEAM TO PLAY FIJI & NEW ZEALAND
Carlin ANDERSON Ipswich Grammar School QLD 2
Joel BROWN The Southport School QLD 2
Sam CLIFTON The Southport School QLD 1
Angus CRICHTON The Scots College NSW 1
Tyson DAVIS Barker College NSW 2
Adrian DELORE Whitebridge SHS, NSW CS
Hosea FOTUKAVA St Ignatius College NSW 1
Matt GIBBON St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 2
Evander GUTTENBEIL The Southport School QLD 1
Landon HAYES Ipswich Grammar School QLD 1
Maclean JONES St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1
Liam JURD Toowoomba Grammar School QLD 2
Ollie KAMP The Scots College, NSW CS
Nick KOUTSOUKIS Waverley College NSW 2
Joey LUSSICK Newington College NSW 2
Doug MACMILLAN Anglican Church Grammar QLD 2
Keith MORGAN St Edmunds College ACT
David MORRIS Newington College NSW 2
Blake PHILLIPS Clarkson SHS WA
James TODD Ipswich Grammar School QLD 1
Jason TOMANE St Edmunds College ACT
Mesui TUFUI Newington College NSW 2
James TUTTLE St Joseph’s Nudgee College QLD 1

John GUY Manager NSW
Michael WALLACE Coach QLD
Andrew MOLONEY Asst Coach NSW
Tom LOMBARDO Physiotherapist NSW

http://austschools.rugbynet.com.au/

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For those interested in Numbers:

All Selections
NSW 24 (NSW I - 14, NSW II - 8, CS -2)
QLD 17 (QLD I - 11, QLD II - 6)
ACT 3
WA 1
Vic 1

Aust
NSW 15 (NSW I - 12, NSW II - 3)
QLD 6 (QLD I - 5, QLD II - 1)
Vic 1
ACT 1

Aust A
NSW 9 (NSW I - 2, NSW II - 5, CS - 2)
QLD 11 (QLD I - 6, QLD II - 5)
WA 1
ACT 2

By Team
NSW I 14 (12 + 2A)
NSW II 8 (3+5A)
QLD I 11 (5+6A)
QLD II 6 (1+6A)
ACT 3 (1+2A)
WA 1 (0+1A)
Vic 1 (1+1A)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
By School
NSW (24 - 15 + 9A)
Oakhill 1
Newington 4 + 3A (7)
Joeys 3
St Ignatius 1 + 1A (2)
Barker 1 + 1A (2)
Scots 2 + 2A (4)
Kings 1
Trinity 1
Endeavour Sports 1
Whitebridge 1A
Waverley 1A

QLD (17 - 6 + 11A)
Nudgee 1 + 3A (4)
Churchie 1A
Toowoomba Grammar 1A
Ipswitch Grammar 3A
St Pats 1
St Peters 2
Southport 1 + 3A (4)
Iona 1

ACT (3 - 1 + 2A)
St Edmunds 2A
Erindale 1

WA (1A)
Clarkson 1A

ViC (1)
Thornbury 1

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He wasn't robbed.He had a few chances to impress and didn't.
he didn't play badly,but did not excel.
Maybe a little unlucky when you consider who was picked.
But in fairness he is not as versatile.
League the Stronger code?
Of the 4 I know of that trialed.One had great footwork and a fend,the other 3 were just stronger physically. When the rest catch up physically,what will be their point of difference?
IMO the focus on reducing errors,has had the effect of deskilling the Mungo players.
I think there's a lot in this.
Too many times the first instinct, irrespective of the game situation, is to take on the defender(s). When nothing comes of that a late pass, sometimes a too late pass, is flicked on.
The desired "skills" are diverging just at this point, I think. That's a good thing for our game in the medium term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gooner

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do the statistics validate that your chances of selection (in NSW) increases if you go to a GPS school?
What are your chances of representing Australia if you attend a public school in NSW?

Status
Not open for further replies.