• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyPurist

Bob McCowan (2)
I think we are in agreement - I remain perplexed at selections and very disappointed for quality players who missed selection.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Congrats to all those selected. Very few players asserted themselves in the tournament as the clear choices, which makes the seemingly politically biased selections an easy argument. From the couple of days I saw, the reputed players did not do enough to make their selections obvious, so it's game on for everyone else. Well done done to all the kids selected, it's a massive honour to represent your country..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Staggered that mohi was not picked. His leg looked very heavily strapped and even when bench was cleared, he never got onto the field.

Also surprised Kemeny not picked ... He looked to have been injured late in the final , but wouldn't have thought season ender or anything

Either way thought nsw 2s won it in the forwards so hard to compare backs when one team (1s) had no ball

tyzac jordan and mctaggart were stand outs for nsw 2s ... But what about Jordan running to hug his girlfriend as team is running out ... Bit weird ... Altgh doesn't take away from my view that he was best 9

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
BMW Australian Schools Squad:

James Armstrong, Knox Grammar School
Adam Doueihi, St Patrick's College
William Eadie, St Joseph's, Gregory Terrace
Sean Farrell, Brisbane Boys' College
Sunia Finefeuiaki, Marcellin College
Luke Gersekowski, St Edmund's College
Lloyd Gorman, Brisbane State High School
Esei Haangana, St Paul's Catholic College
Opeti Helu, Newington College
Yirribi Jaffer-Williams, St Joesph's College
Ryan Lonergan, Trinity Christian College
Lachlan Lonergan, Trinity Christian College
Isaac Lucas, St Joseph's, Gregory Terrace
Fraser McReight,Brisbane Grammar School
Matthew McTaggart, St Joseph's College
Luke Osborne, The King's School
Hunter Paisami, Pakenham Secondary College
Thomas Ross, Darmalan College
Justin Sikimeti, St Patrick's College
Francis Soakai-Tai,Erindale College
Rory Suttor, The Shore School
Laurence Tominiko, Keebra Park State High School
Joshua Vuta, Somerset College
Nick Wilkinson, St Joseph's College
Matthew Wilshire, Toowoomba Grammar School

Without throwing to much cold water on some of these selections, the questions I would be asking; was the openside flanker for the ACT the best 7 in the tournament? ?? And was the ACT 9 better than Elliot Turner (9) from Vic who gave perfect service and opportunity to his backs all tournament and doubles as a great goal kicker??The Qld 4 and 8 were missing all tournament. In a comp in which hard running no8s stood out why have they picked 3 no 8s in the Schools side? The best 6 all tournament was Rasch (not selected) NSW1 & 2 and CS (almost a nsw3) came 1st 2nd 3rd in the tournament yet only get 8 out of 25 selections....Yet qld1 who came 6th overall get 6 players in the Schools side and get beaten by qld2 in their final. Poor old Qld2 only got 1 selected....

rod skellet

Bob Davidson (42)
Nice coincidence if it is. The halfback selections for the schools team has me stumped. I think I must have watched a different week long comp.

SonnyDillWilliams

Nev Cottrell (35)
Mila hingano from st auggies? Not in top 50?

Have some of these kids ruled themselves out with league?

I did notice Bailey simmonsen from newington watching on today

What a shame ... Lost to mungo... And of all clubs to join.. The doggies.

I felt like giving him my best beau ryan

Not in straight

Vay Wilson (31)

What a shame . Lost to mungo. And of all clubs to join.. The doggies.

He was selected in GPS Blue, same team as Luke Rixon. Who proved you can at least make BaBas from there

Short Ball

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it's fair to say that 5 days of rugby, in which teams are playing for victory rather then showcasing star players is not enough to base selections on. It's obvious that the selectors have opted for players they are familiar with and know how they would fit in a scheme.
I do not envy the selectors and while I think there's a few players I would like to see picked, I understand their job is tough. I think it would be unfair to say that the selectors are interested in anything other then producing a winning Aussie schools team.
Most importantly in this is not to bash the boys themselves. They weren't involved in selections and at the end of the day will play their guts out for the green and gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sidelineview

Staggered that mohi was not picked. His leg looked very heavily strapped and even when bench was cleared, he never got onto the field.

Also surprised Kemeny not picked . He looked to have been injured late in the final , but wouldn't have thought season ender or anything

Either way thought nsw 2s won it in the forwards so hard to compare backs when one team (1s) had no ball

tyzac jordan and mctaggart were stand outs for nsw 2s . But what about Jordan running to hug his girlfriend as team is running out . Bit weird . Altgh doesn't take away from my view that he was best 9

I think that was his Mum who would no doubt thank you for saying it was his girlfriend. A spontaneous thing perhaps.

Shane Smeltz

Fred Wood (13)

What a shame . Lost to mungo. And of all clubs to join.. The doggies.

Mila hasn't touched a league ball in his life, I believe.

However he was a starring member of the team that WON the Sebel Australian Schools Rugby Championships yesterday. And then didn't make any further representative honours.
Go figure

S

sidelineview

You should feel for the players who were given the honour of being selected in the #1 team in the state only to have no pattern nor obvious game plan. A team of champions was not moulded into a champion team. You should also feel sorry for boys who are on the receiving end of ludicrous game management. Terry didn't see enough game time, reserve front row had far more urgency, Jeavons Fellows massive impact when on, scrum half substitutions were pointless. Mohi unsighted in final. Couldn't win a line out in the final. Too much stepping inside by blokes headed to league (who ironically got picked) and the most potent weapon YJW didn't see the ball all game. Yes the players play but they have 2 weeks to create a winning culture and that is up to coaching staff. Someone owns that failure particularly as it gives the resultant selection decisions by QLD and ACT selectors an air of credibility. Genuine victims of this coaching shame Terry Fenn Haskins Jeavons Fellows Ongosia Mohi Kemmeny Brown. All deserved better as all quality players who will go on to bigger and better things.

No doubt those players will kick on in the game as many others who have missed selection at schoolboy level.
No doubt the NSW1s players/supporters/parents will be disappointed but can you blame the coaching staff for everything?

Sometimes teams don't gel as well as others. Combined States and NSW2s had tremendous spirit; the coaching staff can create it and nurture it but its also dependent on the players.

The NSW1s coaches couldn't control how the NSW2s team played or the game plan they followed in the Final.
They had zero control over the superb skills shown in NSW2s first two tries. NSW2 decided to run it from their own 22 both times. The inside ball from 23 Smeallie to Rixon for the first was brilliant. Rixon's individual skills and speed shown for the second were freakish.

NSW2s out-muscled and out-enthused their big brothers and defended tenaciously. They were up in defence very quickly to shut down the attack.
NSW1s were starved of possession due to good work from the NSW2s team, especially their forwards.

You may have a point over the duration of the training/playing time, I'm not sure, but coaches can never control what the other side does and NSW1s were beaten by a much better team on the day. Another day it may be different.

Anything can happen in a Finals match of any sport as well. In fact NSW2 only made the first Final by the skin of their teeth.

It also points out how the selections of Rep teams can go. Some NSW2s players and parents may have been disappointed at not being selected in the top team. Others would have been rapt to have made it, but none would be regretting being a member of the NSW2s team now. None would have regretted it in hindsight in 1979 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom