• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian test team

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hughes just brought up his ton, and you would think a plane ticket to the Republic beckons.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
absolutely.

I hope Ashley Nofke gets a look in as well. He'd be a fine replacement for Clark.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
barbarian said:
Hughes just brought up his ton, and you would think a plane ticket to the Republic beckons.

This kid might be something very special. Please God, I hope so, we desperately need something to kickstart the Oz cricket revival.

Bad luck about Rogers, let's hope he makes a score in the second innings. An in-form batsman in the squad to keep the others honest is an imperative.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Noddy said:
absolutely.

I hope Ashley Nofke gets a look in as well. He'd be a fine replacement for Clark.

Noffke is currently 40 not out in Queensland's innings. My fingers are crossed that he can bag a few poles in the WA dig.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Going back to the initiating post for this thread and the subject of Matthew Hayden ... can anyone find out what was Hayden's last sledge?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
And speaking of Hayden, does anyone think we missed him from the one day team. I would have been helpful to have another experienced head in there, and despite the selectors saying he wasn't dropped due to test form, he clearly was.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Noddy,

I agree that Noftke could do a good job in a like for like replacement, but I think his age will count against him. If only he hadn't rolled his ankle all those years ago.

I would expect that Hilfenhaus comes into the team.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
After the last weekend's round of Sheffield Shield games, my team for the next test in Johannesburg:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Rogers
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Krejza

McDonald, Jaques and Bollinger/Noffke included in touring team.

There's a thread over on The Roar about Australia having 21 test matches in the next eleven months. Plus a thousand ODIs and a hundred Twenty20 matches. Utter madness! http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/02/01/is-the-golden-egg-of-australian-sport-about-to-be-fried/

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure about rogers. I would go for Ronald McDonald again. Our problem has been bowling sides out and I would lean towards a bowling alrounder over an extra batsmen, especially if playing Kreja.

I would leave Jacques at home to let him keep playing SS and hopefully get back into form for the Ashes series (NSW will need him too).

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
After the last weekend's round of Sheffield Shield games, my team for the next test in Johannesburg:

Hughes
Katich
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Rogers
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Hilfenhaus
Krejza

McDonald, Jaques and Bollinger/Noffke included in touring team.

That's a fairly inexperienced attack to take on the Proteas over there. I'd almost include McDonald for the sake of having an extra bowler. In your lineup, if you wanted both Rogers and Katich there I think I'd open with Rogers (although that makes a rookie opening pair) and bat Katich further down.

In the end, I just don't think we have the cattle at the moment.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Side announced, Hughes makes the cut with Marcus North the smokey.

Australia squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Phillip Hughes, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Andrew McDonald, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger, Bryce McGain, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North.

Jaques may be a little unlucky, but it is good the selectors are rewarding players in form. Good looking squad IMO.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well I'm flabergastered, the selectors seem to be considering form when picking our teams.

A good squad I think. It probably won't be good enough to beat the saffas at home but atleast we are starting the rebuilding process.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
barbarian said:
Australia squad: Ricky Ponting (capt), Michael Clarke, Phillip Hughes, Simon Katich, Michael Hussey, Andrew McDonald, Brad Haddin (wk), Mitchell Johnson, Peter Siddle, Doug Bollinger, Bryce McGain, Ben Hilfenhaus, Nathan Hauritz, Marcus North.
Sorry misread this one. Age , I know. :huxley

Some new names there. :nta:

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
PaarlBok said:

That'll happen when you are without the services of Stuart Clark, Brett Lee, Andrew Symonds and Matt Hayden.

T

Turban

barbarian said:
PaarlBok said:

That'll happen when you are without the services of Stuart Clark, Brett Lee, Andrew Symonds and Matt Hayden.

I'll take all the new guys over the old ones except for Clark, we really have missed him this summer so far.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Turban said:
barbarian said:
PaarlBok said:

I'll take all the new guys over the old ones except for Clark, we really have missed him this summer so far.
Spot on about Clark, Turbs. From a cricketing point of view, and disregarding other reasons to not want Symonds, I'd have him in a flash if he was in form. All due respect but McDonald doesn't look like he could scare anything, and sure as hell doesn't look like he could win a match. Hayden too by that measure, although I think we're much better covered there. Hauritz doesn't exactly thrill me either. Whose cat did Krejza run over?

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Hopefully the leggie McGain will get a run and take a wicket or two early to bring back memories of Warnie 9though he ain't a patch on the great bowler) in the Protea camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.