• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the Blood Red: Lions v Queensland Reds 8th June 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
The Lions will not want to make him look bad, they'll want to get him selected for the Wallabies.

So will that be your excuse if he has a blinder? "yeh they let him do all that."

Come on Qwerty, Quade will be the most dangerous player on the park and the last thing they will want to do is give him time and space. If they 'let' him look good, it is the biggest chance the reds have at winning the match,

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Courier mail reporting that Quade is skipper. This could be the best or the worst $50 I've spent.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-...-and-irish-lions/story-fndpu22x-1226658965038

This game really could be anything but that article is music to my ears (read: eyes).

It wouldn't take much for this to be a very ugly game ending in a sound thrashing. The Reds certainly are capable of producing some terrible moments. Conversely it won't take much for this to be a sublime display of Rugby that ends in a boil over.

I love that we're going 'all-in' on this. I love the, 'Fuck them - we are Red' attitude. But most of all, I love that we have not a single thing to lose and it sounds like all the boys are buying into that heavily.

Meat, then potatoes then just pour on the gravy boys! We are RED!!!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ewen McKenzie previewing Saturday night's match:

"to be running out in front of a sold-out Suncorp Stadium crowd on Saturday night will be an experience these 23 players will never forget."

"Our best rugby in the four years I've been here has always been played at Suncorp Stadium."

"That means we have the venue we like"

"we are in the best place we can be."

Has Link got shares in the joint?

D

David Campese

Come on Quade Cooper! Prove to Robbie Deans is wrong and that you are the best 10 Australian

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
A bit off topic, but I had no idea that Jake Shatz (47) and Quade (87) have racked up that many caps for the Reds.

I hope Shatzie plays the house down. I rate him so much higher than Dennis, and not too far off Mowen. Yet he barley gets a mention when it comes to Wallabies selection.

D

daz

Why do the mods allow it? That sort of comment is absolutely baseless and just totally ridiculous to claim the Lions will be happy to throw a game. Qwerty is an expert in confirmation bias.

We can't catch every comment that gets thrown out. There is a "report" function on the posts. If you have a concern about any post, I suggest you use it so we can check it out.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Ewen McKenzie previewing Saturday night's match:

"to be running out in front of a sold-out Suncorp Stadium crowd on Saturday night will be an experience these 23 players will never forget."

"Our best rugby in the four years I've been here has always been played at Suncorp Stadium."

"That means we have the venue we like"

"we are in the best place we can be."

Has Link got shares in the joint?

I guess that in a professional sense Bruce, he sort of has 'shares' in Suncorp stadium.

When you look the overwhelmingly positive w/l %s of both the Link-coached Reds and the all-coaches Wallabies at Suncorp since 2003 we can see how a really well designed stadium solely for rectangular-fielded football codes strongly aids the home team.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Big game for the Reds backrow, they have to target Farrell and Youngs early. Both have imploded in big games multiple times over their careers and don't like getting wound up. That said Youngs does seem to save his best for the Wallabies.

Given the lack of creativity as a whole in the Lions run on side if the Reds can take out the two blokes above they've a great chance to build up a lead before the big guns arrive from the bench.

convenient wisdom

Allen Oxlade (6)
Congrats to Sam Denny Magpie for the selection.

All subtle (and not so subtle) hints from Reds indicate that they will want to play up tempo, and keep the ball in play, limiting lineouts etc. Let us hope and pray that the counter strategy is not that recurring blight where one of the defending fatties is "injured" or "requiring attention" at almost every scrum and lineout, and both teams are then quickly surrounded by a plethora of Hi vis shirted trainers, medics and water boys. Has anyone timed how many minutes of recovery time are added to the modern Rugby game with this startegy ?

In any case, if the Reds are going to keep heir field position kicks in play, they will need to get their chase line improved on the Rebels game who split them too easily at least twice. Also with no Genia there to catch the obligatory returning garry owens, folks like Morahan, Lucas and co are going to have to step up. ....and they will !!

Final Point ---- can anyone post who the ref is ???

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I don't know about you guys, but just from the pre game hype, the attitudes of the selection and the predicted nature of this game it is going to be one of the best advertisements of rugby you will find anywhere.

The Lions in the tour matches will most certainly be playing expansive rugby, and they have cattle to do it in this game - Tommy Bowe out wide, J Davies, Youngs, Hogg are all players with pace and finishing.

The Lions pack will get them over the advantage line, create time and space, overlaps and tries. I'm sure of it.

The Reds response is to avoid set piece and make fitness a bigger factor so their pack can cope. Cooper has been given the all clear to fuck the penalties, fuck the lineouts, fuck the scrums, fuck stopping the game and just go for quick taps non-stop. Look out for Davies to be thundering in for a try off a cooper linebreak. Frisby's service isn't of a Genia standard but it's quick enough and it'll do. He can have a dart too and has also got pace. Morahan is an outstanding counter - long range try scorer.

You combine that with a 52500 sold out crowd all baying for rugby action and this is going to be a cracker.

My tip: Lions 52 Reds - 38

EDIT: Yes, haha, I noticed I put Phipps in instead of Frisby. Mistake fixed

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Why do the mods allow it? That sort of comment is absolutely baseless and just totally ridiculous to claim the Lions will be happy to throw a game. Qwerty is an expert in confirmation bias.

Am I alone here in not caring?

This a rugby chat site. Qwerty can say whatever he likes. I don't agree with him either, but I think its a bit ridiculous asking the mods to step in over throw away lines.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
To be fair to Qwerty, it's kind of fun doing some Quade Cooper fishing and waiting for lewisr's inevitable bite on the hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.