• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the form teams: Reds vs Stormers Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Only one eyed provincial supporters will agree with my statement but surely the two form teams at this moment going into battle on friday. On stats also the two best defensive outfits and for some reason myself think that will also deside this game.

The Stormers sure put out a marker for themself last week. They played brilliant the last two matches and showed exactly what they can do with pill in hand. Scoring that try pretty surprise to see Schalk and Mossies handling twice and short hand passing out of the top drawer. They have come out on top against the best attacking teams from NZ and the Reds will ask the same questions. The Stormers or WP has always been a team that dont mind playing away from home and that will be important. If they are going on the field with the same attetude as the Bulls , they will lose. One foot at home one, they have to go out there and jol for 80 minutes, tackle those Reds backwards forcing them in mistakes. Their tight 5 has been brilliant all season, dominant Bekker in the lineouts, scrums I thought they had enough practise against the Chiefs in the last 10 minutes, their trio one of the best in the competition and a team leaded by a captain prepared to donante his own eye and just playing all over the place and a backline that have been defending like TroJans and enough sting in the back three.

So Reds fans get your tickets early because if you dont, you'll lose out on one of the best games to date in the 2010 S14 season.

(Just remember to wear a Stormers jersey underneath the Red ons if your team loose this one)

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think the Stormers will win this one, but I will be very happy to be proven wrong :thumb

T

TOCC

Im expecting a crowd of 30'000 at the Reds this weekend, they have received pretty good publicity since the south africa tour and especially after last weekends performance against the Bulls.. Its shaping up to be a absolute blockbuster..

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Stormers are tougher than the Bulls. They are smarter and nothing but respect for their awsome defence. We can beat them though. Just have to put some more thought into how. 30000 would be a great crowd.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This is going to be a much tougher game for the Reds imo.
The try the against the Chuffs was the best I have seen in super 14 history!
They have a great tight 5 and backs that are very smart and not afraid to tackle.
Will be a corker of a game and I will be their to watch the Reds run at a top 2 position.

Season tickets for the last 5 years are now paying off!!!!!!!!!!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As I posted on one of the threads on Saturday night, the Reds will need to step up a gear to beat the Stormers on the form they displayed in NZ - they were the complete team. I think they can. If the Reds can do the Bulls / Stormers double in consecutive weeks (to add to that red and black scalp they already have on the belt), it would be huge, and a feat seldom seen by an Oz Super rugby team.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I had this nasty feeling in my stomach during all the bulls celebration that the real test is next week... I think the Reds have more chance of losing this than the Bulls game and I will be really impressed if they win. A win would start me dreaming of a home final! Fucking imagine that.. Anyway - Just bought some tickets and I'm bloody pumped for this one!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Queensland lock Van Humphries has been ruled out of Friday night's Super 14 crunch match with the Stormers due to an ankle injury.

Scans on Monday showed the veteran second-rower sustained muscle and ligament damage in the final minute of the 19-12 upset of the Bulls on Saturday night.

Reds coach Ewen McKenzie hopes Humphries will be fit to play against the Brumbies on May 1 and he'll be reassessed next week.

Melbourne Rebels signing Adam Byrnes looms as a likely replacement for the fourth-placed Reds, partnering youngster Rob Simmons in the second row at Suncorp Stadium.

AAP

From RugbyHeaven.

Byrnes and Simmons ain't so bad.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Godfrey said:
Anyway - Just bought some tickets and I'm bloody pumped for this one!
You have every reason to feel that way.

The Stormers really tour well, already bagged 10 points. Think they can afford to lose two more and still make the semis. So not the end of the world if they drop this one but then they just have to beat the Saders on Newlands, sorry win or lose they have to beat the Saders anyway. The Sharks in Durban look the easiest game for us at the moment but I'd love to swee them and the Brutes fighting for a top spot in round 14.

Anyway one game at a time and the red danger it is. Forget to mention but I am sure the Stormers have one of the best mauls going with their lineouts. Thats the weapon they should use against the Reds. Cant understand why the Brutes havent used it, even did not look if Matfield & kie contest the opposite lineouts on saturday. Maybe that Surfers Paradise got to them, luckily our lot know surfing and beach parties and like Bekker showed after his try, know to down a cold one.

D

David

PaarlBok said:
Godfrey said:
Anyway - Just bought some tickets and I'm bloody pumped for this one!
Anyway one game at a time and the red danger it is. Forget to mention but I am sure the Stormers have one of the best mauls going with their lineouts. Thats the weapon they should use against the Reds. Cant understand why the Brutes havent used it, even did not look if Matfield & kie contest the opposite lineouts on saturday. Maybe that Surfers Paradise got to them, luckily our lot know surfing and beach parties and like Bekker showed after his try, know to down a cold one.
They couldn't really challenge our line out because the majority of the time when the Bulls kicked it out we took a quick lineout and pretty much ran it back into the Bulls half or went front quickly or to the back, I think on form the Reds have the best counter attacking back 3 in the tournament. However I was impressed by some of the Stormers counter attack against the Chiefs, so who knows. Looks to be a cracking game and if the Reds can keep the same intensity of defence that they showed against the 'Sader and Bulls then they might come away with another top 4 scalp.

T

TOCC

PaarlBok said:
If they would have played on Newlands this weekend, it would have been a sold out today.

it must suck to have nothing else to do over there

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is fucking huge bigger than Ben Hur it's just massive blockbuster after blockbuster in Brisbane these days, it's Friday night so be there dressed in Red with your worst attitude on also.

This will be even tougher than last week I think the Stormers are the most complete team in the comp & I don't see any weakness in them across the board.

Best defence, best lineout, good scrum, tough as nails backrow, a flyhalf hitting top form & they've got the best winger in world rugby.

Reds will need to go up another gear on Friday I'm confident they can win but not as confident as I was going into the Bulls match.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
TOCC said:
PaarlBok said:
If they would have played on Newlands this weekend, it would have been a sold out today.

it must suck to have nothing else to do over there
Ja sure a few Aussie League Rugby retreads and cricketers have found it this way over the years. :nta:

T

TOCC

Radlike Samo has signed with the Reds on a short term loan to cover Humphries

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
TOCC said:

nice bullshit.

This game is going to be huge, both teams are going to be up for it, and the Stormers will be very aware of the challenge having seen the Reds roll the Bulls, and the Reds...nuff said.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TOCC said:

He looked unfit, very big and slow on Saturday.

Played 7 for Southern Districts, lasted 30 minutes, gave away some lazy penalties and set up a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.