• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the form teams: Reds vs Stormers Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

Reddy! said:
But seriously, just some friendly pre-match spite. I think it's great that there are South African supporters on this forum.

They, and the rest of the forum, are so glad to have your approval :bootyshake

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
TOCC said:
Radlike Samo has signed with the Reds on a short term loan to cover Humphries

He looked unfit, very big and slow on Saturday.

Played 7 for Southern Districts, lasted 30 minutes, gave away some lazy penalties and set up a try.

he is a prop isn't he?

100419_Radike_Samo_012.jpg

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Reddy! said:
PaarlBok said:
Reddy! said:
Morne Steyn one week, Peter Grant the next, f*ck! Another discipline game from the Reds this week needed, were a bit lucky with Steyn having an off day with the boot.
Grants kicking is also shite, no distance and struggle to get it out. If he repeat this against the Reds we will be buried, dead wood. People have talk a long time about Grants distance on his kicks, fuck that if you have a lineout like the Stormers, just kick the pill out, no worries, that put the prerssure on him trying to find distance.

His place kicking is impressive tho and defense and distributing.

Yeh I was referring to his place kicking. I love when the opposition kicks the ball to the Reds back 3.
Well the same rule for Cooper and the gang. Misquito is created havoc since Pietersens injury , running back from 15. He maybe small but have the heart of a Lion. Saw the Stormers will maybe pick the other small winger/fullback Fabian Juries for this match, he can do the same thing.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I am looking forward to this game a lot. The Stormers crushed the Chiefs in pretty much every facet of the game. They will have seen what the Reds can do. What do the Reds have up their sleeves this week? Something new? More of the same? Is the cupboard bare? The head says Stormers, but it seems the Reds can do anything.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Reddy! said:
But seriously, just some friendly pre-match spite. I think it's great that there are South African supporters on this forum.

You clearly have never read any of my posts. I praised the Reds about ten times way before I raised the offside issue.

Don't be a tosser.

As fot Higginb I said last season that I think he has potential for higher honours and after round 2 this year I siud I think he is a must in the Wallaby setup as he has all the skills and is a great backup for Elsom.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Langthorne said:
I am looking forward to this game a lot. The Stormers crushed the Chiefs in pretty much every facet of the game. They will have seen what the Reds can do. What do the Reds have up their sleeves this week? Something new? More of the same? Is the cupboard bare? The head says Stormers, but it seems the Reds can do anything.

The Reds ran the Bulls off their feet in the first half and banked on the fatties getting tired.

The question is, where are the Stormers vulnerable? I canlt see too many chinks in their armour right now. The defense is rock solid and their pack in my opinmion is the best as a unit at the moment.

The same helter skelter approach they used against the Bulls won't work. This pack is too quick for that.

T

TOCC

I think the Reds might struggle with the hype a bit to much, just remembering back to the Blues - Reds game earlier in the season

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Blue,

Reds can only win with a fantastic defensive effort, equal or better than the Stormers defense, and then rely on the more creative pairing of Cooper and Genia to score more points than the Stormers.

Cut down errors on attack. Limit penalties in defense.

I think the Stormers may be tempted to counter ruck more, and disrupt the Reds ball. Everytime the Bulls did this (only did it a few times) it was successful. However, the flip side to a counter rucking game is that you have to commit a few more players at the breakdown, and this will leave holes at the fringes for Genia and Cooper.

I'm confident that the Reds can break down the Stormers defense, I'm less confident that the Reds can withstand the Stormers attack. The game should be a cracker.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
was worried to hear Higger say that he was both emotionally and physically drained after the Bulls. Understandable of course but its a tough call to back up on the Friday.

This will be a massive challenge for Link and his coaching team.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

Played 7 for Southern Districts, lasted 30 minutes, gave away some lazy penalties and set up a try.

he is a prop isn't he?

mmmm

here is a before shot
radike-samo.jpg

G

Geeves

This match is going to be a damn site harder than the Bulls. The stormers coaching side will be in overdrive evaluating the Reds efforts against the Blues and the Sharks. And then making the side watch the game against the Bulls on a daily basis.

While McKenzie and his staff are going to have to find a way to crack the hardest defence in the comp while using some of the same tactics they used against the Bulls (limited lineouts to nullify Beckers dominance and controlling possession to prevent Habana getting a sniff). This week their backline execution has to be perfect to exploit any opportunities as there may only be one.

l'm still in shock at the turnaround this year. Part of me thinks this could be a bridge too far but I love being proven wrong.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Reds may need to go back to the Saders game plan for a looksy. It will be based on combating a well organized team which is the problem we have got here.

The Stormers analysis will be hard also as the Reds have proven to be able to play a number of different styles. Targeting a single Reds player has now been proven not to work.

The last 20 minutes of the first half in the Stormers Blues game the Blues started to open them up a bit. This is worth a look.

This is going to a big test for both sides.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PaarlBok said:
matty_k said:
PaarlBok said:
He maybe small but have the heart of a Lion.
Do you mean lion (good) or Lion (not so good)?
I mean LION, vokken big.
Interesting the way Aplon got into provincial rugby. Rob Louw got a word from his Matie friends about Aplon and made an effort to go watch him in club level. Muskiet did not disappoint him and he rang Mallet (who still was at WP) and Mallet made an appointment to test him. Well it turn into disappointment for the little man because Mallet had the Jake White big player syndrome and send him back to Maties. It took Aplon a bit longer to get to Super Rugby level via the 7s route which make it do satisfying to see him perform lately. Mallett got Sereli in stead those days and Aplon vs Sereli, Aplon any day of the week, size never matter when it comes to rugby, only heart size.

C

Calexico

fatprop said:
Noddy said:
fatprop said:
TOCC said:

he is a prop isn't he?

mmmm

here is a before shot
radike-samo.jpg

Crap - looks like I'll have to change my avatar. DK was my favourite player to watch while he was with the Brumbies. Just another reason to switch my allegiance to the Reds for the rest of the season. He had a particular skill I've not seen since - running with the ball in one hand while making superfluous pointing movements with the other.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
PaarlBok said:
PaarlBok said:
matty_k said:
PaarlBok said:
He maybe small but have the heart of a Lion.
Do you mean lion (good) or Lion (not so good)?
I mean LION, vokken big.
Interesting the way Aplon got into provincial rugby. Rob Louw got a word from his Matie friends about Aplon and made an effort to go watch him in club level. Muskiet did not disappoint him and he rang Mallet (who still was at WP) and Mallet made an appointment to test him. Well it turn into disappointment for the little man because Mallet had the Jake White big player syndrome and send him back to Maties. It took Aplon a bit longer to get to Super Rugby level via the 7s route which make it do satisfying to see him perform lately. Mallett got Sereli in stead those days and Aplon vs Sereli, Aplon any day of the week, size never matter when it comes to rugby, only heart size.

Try telling that to Bekker

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bekker have both. ;) He started in 15 at schoolboy level and Paul Roos coach him into a lock at U18 level.

B

BRIX

I think everyone is greatly over thinking things here as is the facon de faire around this forum, so I've noticed.

What if, just what if the Stormers play bad rugby like they did against the Force in round 7? The Force from what I remember weren't adapting any sort of specific game plan to counter the strong points of their foe, they just took it to them and thats exactly what the Reds are going to do this week.

Really enjoy the way the Stormers are playing, this game is going to be one for the archives - no doubt.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Gagger said:
Definitely going to need another game of keepball I reckon

Won't help as the Stormers are scrooges when it comes to defense. Reds will need to take the attack up another gear and target the opposite wing to Habana, because chip kicks aren't going to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.