• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Battle of the form teams: Reds vs Stormers Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatsack

Ward Prentice (10)
A couple of notes for the people bagging the Reds home crowd.

1. Yes, of course we're biased!
2. The Chambers hit, and penalty, at least from my section was booed cause we thought the ref was calling it a late hit. Watching the replay, the officials were right about the no-arms. And I think also right with it just being a penalty, the kick through was well covered by the Reds, Habana was never going to regather and score from there. Also, maybe because I watched the edited replay, but Fox Sports never showed Burger taking out Braid 30m from the ball on a kick chase, the crowd did and were still steamed about it.
3. The replays shown on the ground and the replays shown on Fox Sports were different, the ground big screens concentrated on the one where it looked like it may have touched between frames. Watching the replay, other angles were presented and yes I can see the TMO's position now, but at the game, with the one angle being replayed it looked like momentum would've got it to the grass on the first bounce. Awesome stuff by Habana.

My main point is, its easy for armchair fans, with their close ups and replays to question the crowd.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
JJJ said:
Given that there don't appear to be any official repercussions for referees calling bad games against Aussie sides (unlike saffa sides, for instance), I don't mind the crowd giving the refs a serve when they get it wrong. There doesn't seem to be anything else keeping them honest.

OK, who gives the spectators a serve when they are wrong? Water cannons primed by a decibel counter and activated by the replay showing their error? Pepper spray might be a useful variant at selected grounds.

*** Should I have attached a smiley?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Reddy! said:
Enjoy playing the Sharks, Stormers and Crusaders in the next few weeks Blue boy :lmao:

All good but why the constant need for name calling? If you are unable to crack a joke or appear to have with then donlt try to be funny calling people names.

Personally I find they way you seem to celebrate the Reds winning in very poor taste.

I am a big Reds fand now and even though I live in Sydney they are my favorite Aussie side. As for their fans...well if you are the norm then it's a real pity.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:
I don't think there is a crowd that doesn't give the ref a spray. Unfortunately.

Agreed, we have to put up with it. As in most things, though, the mob is almost always wrong.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Biffo said:
OK, who gives the spectators a serve when they are wrong? Water cannons primed by a decibel counter and activated by the replay showing their error? Pepper spray might be a useful variant at selected grounds.

Rugbywhisperer it would seem.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I even mention how good the Stormers defence was to Mrs Sully. She replied that "The F&*%$#n D%$#head Ref was carrying the B%$#@rds!"

R

rugbywhisperer

Noddy said:
Biffo said:

I just dislike intensly any form of bad sportsmanship.
I't not necessary and only lowers the perceived intelligence of those throwing the mud.

T

TOCC

rugbywhisperer said:
Noddy said:
Biffo said:

I just dislike intensly any form of bad sportsmanship.
I't not necessary and only lowers the perceived intelligence of those throwing the mud.

completely disagree, if you truly believe then that then maybe you should step off your high horse

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Yeah. I think bad sportsmanship is one thing, but rugby is a very phsyical, tribal sport and I believe the mood and performance is enhanced by a fierce, loyal homeground. Of course it can go too far, but the kind of behavious RW seems to want is only really going to be found in the Royal Box at Wimbledon.

C

chief

I think yelling at refs gives them mental strength. Keep it up fellas

T

tranquility

Rugbywhisperer, are you being completely serious?? Because if so, you are treading dangerously close to Wa&*ker territory.

R

rugbywhisperer

Godfrey said:
Yeah. I think bad sportsmanship is one thing, but rugby is a very phsyical, tribal sport and I believe the mood and performance is enhanced by a fierce, loyal homeground. Of course it can go too far, but the kind of behavious RW seems to want is only really going to be found in the Royal Box at Wimbledon.

or cricket
Sorry guys, I wasn't aware that ethics, sportsmanship and polite decent behavior were somthing to be scorned and ridiculed. I thought i was on the rugby forum, must have somehow slipped over to a leage forum somehow.
Must speak to my dad and tell him to loosen up.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I just don't expect the same standard of stoic behaviour from the crowd as I do for the atheletes. Not questioning a referees decision is a player's responsibility, not the crowds.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Geez, and we thought we were colourful on the live blog!!!
We go away and the place goes feral.
No try was a fair call - they couldn't see it grounded. Great tackle Habana.

I haven't seen the replay yet (only the ones at the ground), but it appeared to me that while there was no clear touching of the grass captured it was likely that it did touch.

Anyway, shouldn't the TMO be determining if the ball didn't touch the ground rather than if the ball did. ie Doesn't the benefit of the doubt go to the attacking team?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scotty said:
Geez, and we thought we were colourful on the live blog!!!
We go away and the place goes feral.
No try was a fair call - they couldn't see it grounded. Great tackle Habana.

I haven't seen the replay yet (only the ones at the ground), but it appeared to me that while there was no clear touching of the grass captured it was likely that it did touch.

Anyway, shouldn't the TMO be determining if the ball didn't touch the ground rather than if the ball did. ie Doesn't the benefit of the doubt go to the attacking team?
There's the rub. There is no consistency in how the TMO is called to adjudicate. Some ask for a reason NOT to award the try, others ask try / no try. In real time I thought it was a try too, but having been asked, the TMO only had one option based on the replays. They don't have a "What do you think's a fair thing?" option.

C

chief

Referees the sole judge of the game, the TMO should be there to check a try, and that is his specific duty, how a ref wants to choose to do it is beyond me. Chris Pollock should have awarded it.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyway back to the game I thought the Stormers defence was just awesome the Reds only got over the advantage line 55% of the time & that must have been all in the 2nd half with Braid, Daley & Chambers making a couple of good busts.

Will Genia in the last 5 minutes was brilliant 1st the kick from the scrum to get us in the Stormers 22, then the catch off the box kick to get us on the front foot.

That no try at the end of the game may be crucial come finals time with the bonus point for the Stormers which has kept them with a home semi final spot ATM.

The good thing for Tahs & Reds fans is that the saders, stormers & bulls all have to play each other so if one team drops both matches the Tahs or Reds may sneak a home semi if good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.