• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Benn Robinson Ruled Out for the 2011 Season with Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Last season we had Robbo coming back from injury and he was nowhere near as effective at scrumtime or around the park as his spectacular form of 2009.

But that was his scrummaging arm - a big ask for a LHP.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Robbie discussed this briefly in the presser. He mentioned that Robbo's ACL is gone, but that it is in a similar state to a lot of post-op players. He also has a torn meniscus and will rehab along the normal lines for that then re-assess what chance he has in the next 3 weeks to a month.

B

Braveheart.

Robbie discussed this briefly in the presser. He mentioned that Robbo's ACL is gone, but that it is in a similar state to a lot of post-op players. He also has a torn meniscus and will rehab along the normal lines for that then re-assess what chance he has in the next 3 weeks to a month.

I'll have all my fingers and toes crossed for the next three weeks then

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Last season we had Robbo coming back from injury and he was nowhere near as effective at scrumtime or around the park as his spectacular form of 2009.

His form in the last few weeks of the Super rugby season just past was of the 2009 version...

T

tranquility

Having just had my ACL operated on I do not understand how this is possible? The ACL is the most critical ligament in the knee and while it is completely understandable that he can run, and get around without too much pain - the stability in the knee must be almost non-existent. I'm not sure how he plans to use that as a base for scrummaging in the extreme, but even just running around the field effecting tackles and cleaning out?

The only thing I can think of is if he had a LARS knee reconstruction like Sydney Swans player Nick Malceski did recently. However this would still take about 12 weeks recovery I would have thought.

The LARS technique is a controversial technique that is not used all the often which uses a synthetic man made ligament instead of a piece of hamstring that is generally used to replace the ACL. This is all of course because ligaments do not grow back naturally.

I am very interested at the very least in the developments in this story, but I am highly skeptical that it will work and I am not sure why they are delaying his re-hab work by not going under the knife immediately (+ scar tissue).

If and when he does have the surgery, he will probably be out for around 10-12 months. However he probably won't hit top form for at-least 18, which is the usual turn around from these types of injuries.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
What Robinson has said (and I presume it is what his surgeon said to him) is that a small number of people are functionally stable without an ACL, and he is one of them.

T

tranquility

Most people are functionally stable - as in walking around day-to-day minus an ACL. Twisting and turning under professional conditions is a different story.
Of course they are the professionals (the doctors) and know much more about both the particular case and the science behind it, so obviously they are making the right decision.

However I would like to find out more.

S

Skippy

With so much discussion lately about Hornes apparent injury susceptibility and Rocky being picked with little to no rugby over the last 12 months... I'm suprised people would support taking a front rowers with no ACL into a world cup. At his best... when fully fit he is capable of matching it however lets not forget his performance and ability is not matched on the other side of the scrum. How would a average Aussie tight head going to be able to form a competitive world cup front row with a loosehead with no ACL. No ACL means no turn of speed, means his knee can be pushed/pulled in any direction and have no stability, means no ability to step or change an angle/turn in a tackle or shuffle sideways to close a gap....
Robinson isn't going anywhere. Except to Royal North Shore Private and a few months on the sofa. Good luck... sure, give it a go. But it isn't happening. And even if he could 'play' and get through a club game with massive strapping and playing a limited game to get his knee through it... a test match is completely different.

The only thing in is favour is if he has some freakish physiological difference to everyone else and has massively overdeveloped quads etc to almost make his ACL redundant (if that is even possible) or the MRI was interprested incorrectly and his ACL is not torn or gone.

But the bottom line is... why would anyone seriously take a half fit no ACL player into a WC. Weare shit at scrummaging even with him. How would we go with a half fit Robbo.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Depends, you wouldn't have him on the field if there's the possibility that it could get worse. If it's as bad now as it's ever going to be, then go all for recovery

tragic

John Solomon (38)
He was a guest commentator last night and said he was going to "put his hand up" during the trinations. Presume that means things are OK.
Deans interview
"Deans was hopeful that forwards Wycliff Palu, Tatafu Polota-Nau and James Slipper would come under consideration for the final Tri Nations Test against New Zealand in Brisbane on August 27 and that winger Drew Mitchell would also be back running when the Wallabies returned from South Africa.
He said outside centre Rob Horne was returning to club rugby this weekend and remained in the World Cup mix along with midfielder Berrick Barnes, who made a successful comeback for Sydney University on Saturday."
Didn't mention robinson though...

tragic

John Solomon (38)
twitter on 22nd
"Update on knee!! Was going in for surgery on Tuesday but delayed !! Run next week and hope all is stable !! #fingerscrossed"

Guess its too early to say..

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I heard complete but that doesn't make sense for him to be back so soon.
I can only surmise his ACL injury is old and picked up coincidently on the scans/ scope when he did his meniscus (cartilage) - that would fit with the fairly innocuous injury and shorter recovery time.
Would also explain why they are considering deferring surgery off till EOY - if he has been playing with it ruptured for some time already.
Then again thats all guesswork..

W

Waylon

If it wasn't RWC year, he'd have been operated on probably
Damn shame
At his best, he is a major handfull for just about every tight head in world rugby.
His scrummaging will be sorely missed.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Kepu can perform as good against the AB's as he did the Boks then we'd be crazy to rush Robinson back.

Status
Not open for further replies.