• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best Sydney pub for rugby watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Since I don't have Foxtel I've been wondering this. Requirements are:

- reasonably big telly
- sound turned ON
- good beer selection
- reasonably central
- low bogan quotient

the only one i've noticed that ticks all these boxes is the Harlequin in Pyrmont. Any other recommendations appreciated.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Which part of sydney?
The Cabana Bar at St Leonards is pretty good, especially for Tri Nations if you get there early enough for their indoor projection room

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
hard to beat the beer garden at Newport Arms, they have a huge outdoor tv, even a pretty good view if you are getting there early to watch the Kiwi games

S

skullring

hard to beat the beer garden at Newport Arms, they have a huge outdoor tv, even a pretty good view if you are getting there early to watch the Kiwi games

Mate as a bloke that lives around the corner... the Arms is avvveraggge. 5/10 at best.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Harlequin is pretty good, especially when they open upstairs. Watched the Friday Night Massacre up there last weekend and it was pretty sweet.

EDIT: I know you mentioned that, maxdacat, but figured I'd endorse your choice.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
The busiest pub I've seen in my 35 years is Harlequins during the Tahs vs Crusaders semi-final. People were dangling off the building like they were riding in a 3rd class Bangalore train carriage.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The best pub?

The one you can walk to, that serves decent beer and plays the game IMHO

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Harlequin is pretty good, especially when they open upstairs. Watched the Friday Night Massacre up there last weekend and it was pretty sweet.

EDIT: I know you mentioned that, maxdacat, but figured I'd endorse your choice.

My offices are actually about 100m from this pub but I havent been there to watch a game yet. Thanks for the heads up. Might have to watch the Tahs game there this weekend

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Greengate at Killlara on Pacific Highway is good when they have the big projector down. Big rugby area and usually gets a good atmosphere. Probably best game I saw there was NZ vs Wallabies last year in Hong Kong when JOC (James O'Connor) knocked over the winner. Went off that night.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The Lord Nelson pull down their overheard screen for all rugby games. Beer range the best in Sydney.
But their screen is grainy and overlit, and hard to see from half of the room. Do they put the sound on?
Agree the beers are good.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
The Oaks used to be a top venue. It is still not too bad, but it is getting pricey (four dollars for a glass of soda water.....) and i ngeneral the staff don't know how to operate the tv's. You may end up watching the dish-lickers from Dapto initially rather than the rugby and the All Blacks do the Haka lyp syncing Justin Bieber or Kylie, but it is my local so it has a few good points.

PJ Obriens in the city (King street) was always quite good fun. Dingy and dark, but comforting in a way that was so wrong it was right.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
We headed to The Rugby Club in Circular Quay last Friday, was superb.

Flat screens all over the place, every one of them showing the Rugby. Sound turned up, and everyone there is interested in watching the match.

Range of beers was a bit lacking, but $12 jugs of Carlton made up for that. If they could add Coopers Pale Ale to their on tap selection it'd be just about perfect.

http://www.rugbyclub.com.au/

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Coogee Bay Hotel no better. They were playing episodes of "lost" whilst the reds vs force game was on, and the bar tender didn't speak a word of english except beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.