• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best Sydney pub for rugby watching

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
We headed to The Rugby Club in Circular Quay last Friday, was superb.

Flat screens all over the place, every one of them showing the Rugby. Sound turned up, and everyone there is interested in watching the match.

Range of beers was a bit lacking, but $12 jugs of Carlton made up for that. If they could add Coopers Pale Ale to their on tap selection it'd be just about perfect.

http://www.rugbyclub.com.au/

Sounds pretty ace. My local has 3 flatties and a projector in the beer garden dedicated to the rugby at the moment - but only until the League starts from previous experience. Might have to toddle down some time...

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Might I add the London hotel in Balmain. Always a decent crowd show up to watch the rugby on a big bunch of screens, with sound ON. Beer selection is damn good and the best part is if it gets too busy downstairs you can always head upstairs to the pool tables which are usually deserted and watch the game as if its in your lounge room. Win in my books.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Might I add the London hotel in Balmain. Always a decent crowd show up to watch the rugby on a big bunch of screens, with sound ON. Beer selection is damn good and the best part is if it gets too busy downstairs you can always head upstairs to the pool tables which are usually deserted and watch the game as if its in your lounge room. Win in my books.

What's the damage like on beer? Do they do grub too?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
We headed to The Rugby Club in Circular Quay last Friday, was superb.

They do a good burger too. The best thing about the Rugby club is the 1980s prices. But you have a choice of VB, New or Carlton Draught.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
London and or Town Hall in Balmain. Town Hall has a Massive screen right next to the main Bar

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
They do a good burger too. The best thing about the Rugby club is the 1980s prices. But you have a choice of VB, New or Carlton Draught.
Correction, they did a good burger, back when the BBQ was open on the ground floor. Since late last year it's up to the restaurant on lvl1 and the Burgers are hit and miss.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Correction, they did a good burger, back when the BBQ was open on the ground floor. Since late last year it's up to the restaurant on lvl1 and the Burgers are hit and miss.

Isn't eating cheating?

As long as the beer is cold, beer lines clean, and the serving staff suitably suitable what else do we need??

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What's the damage like on beer? Do they do grub too?

Not the cheapest, as you might expect. Last I recall it was around $6 for a schooner of coopers pale. They do bar food and have a restaurant - the bar food is pretty decent but nit bargain-basement either. I guess that's Balmain really...

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Not the cheapest, as you might expect. Last I recall it was around $6 for a schooner of coopers pale. They do bar food and have a restaurant - the bar food is pretty decent but nit bargain-basement either. I guess that's Balmain really...

I'll second the London. I like the restaurant out the back too. Though, as you say, it's not particularly cheap.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Support the sky blue at Waratahs HQ

HSBC Waratahs fans are being urged to take up the opportunity to watch tonight’s match against the Crusaders with like-minded supporters at a Waratahs HQ venue.

Pubs within NLG Hotel Group along with other popular hotels have joined Waratahs Rugby as the official partner of Waratahs HQ which will see fans treated to a range of match day specials and the opportunity to watch both home and away fixtures with fellow supporters.

Waratahs HQ venues are showcasing all games live and loud with sound on the big screens are the best places to watch the HSBC Waratahs in your local area.

Waratahs HQ venues will provide:

· Food and/or drink specials for all HSBC Waratahs game
· Ticket giveaways for all home games
· Rugby Trivia nights and other rugby events throughout season

Waratahs HQ venues for 2011 are:

· Willoughby Hotel (Willoughby)
· Cremorne Hotel (Cremorne)
· Royal Hotel (Ryde)
· Harlequin Hotel (Ultimo)
· Forrester’s Hotel (Surry Hills)
· Steyne Hotel (Manly)
· Charing Cross Hotel (Waverley)
· The Rugby Club (Sydney CBD)

Just got this email, awesome initiative from the Tahs putting this together.

B

Bradley

I'm heading to the rugby club tonight for the game. I'll be wearing my all blacks jersey.

Boo Hiss!! Do they allow you to wear jerseys into the joint? The times I've been there the place was full of suits.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the royal in ryde? never effing heard of it!

also the greengate must be pissed.

Just looked it up: its the housing commision peoples pub I reckon

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)

Have they stopped the outdoor barbie for the burgers? They were awesome.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Have they stopped the outdoor barbie for the burgers? They were awesome.

I don't believe it. Is nothing sacred ?

I still remember gobbling up a delicious Rugby club cheeseburger, and then choking on the flag that I'd somehow half digested. Good effort that.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Boo Hiss!! Do they allow you to wear jerseys into the joint? The times I've been there the place was full of suits.

Na there were suits but a lot of rugby jerseys around.

And I had to quietly sneak out post game before I was recognised.

Moses, the beer selection was fine & well priced IMO. They serve Steinlager Pure. Nuff said.
just one thing I do not get is how rude the crusaders fans are.

Exactly what consititutes a Waratahs HQ venue, I thought there was supposed to be trivia & prizes handed out. Nothing.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Been away for 5 years or so but the Trinity in Surry Hills is great for 6 nations, my old local the Robin Hood in Charring Cross and the Paddo bowling club gets a great atmosphere. Harlequins gets a high Kiwi concentration if thats your thing.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Whatever became of the Wallaby Bar in Darling Harbour?
Anybody got a good country venue? I found it very hard to find a pub that plays rugby when the league is on.

A

Army_Gav

What about for us Victorians when we visit April 30? Where should we best celebrate the match between our 2 teams with toasting to pints of beer?

Status
Not open for further replies.