• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Saturday 18 August 2018 - ANZ Stadium, Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BPAs throwing was good against Ireland. He should be considered on the bench. We have 3 very good targets and a 4th poor option in Hooper. That should be plenty. Throwing was off and the AIGs worked out our calls.
The scrum was going to be one of our strengths but very tough to lose Sio and TT. If they are fit both should prop up TPN next week to start.
Any word on Folau?

BPA’s throwing had been awful in the latter rounds of Super rugby..........

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I should add I don't think anybody should be still deserting the Wallabies on that performance. As if somebody told me I could watch the first half I watched from the Wallabies and still with second half and the result would have paid for that every day of the week. If I had of watched two half's like the second half...then yes I doubt I would be inspired to watch another wallaby match short term. But if anything the first half makes me disappointed not another Sydney test for a while...just saying.....

As somehow something really went wrong in second half as everything seemed to fall apart. Lots of factors to this but one which was quite telling imho was the lost of key quality on the bench as well as Ainsley vs Tupou and Robertson as bench vs Starter vs Sio starting. I mean Ainsley was struggling to be starting lock for the Rebels as regularly got toweled up against Super Rugby sides so stuffed if I know how he came into Wallaby contention. Don't get me wrong Ainsley young so has time on his side so will improve but he is not Test standard...at least yet....Same with Robertson who has come along way this season and probably shown not quite starting prop quality but certainly proved good bench prop coming on in second half. Ainsley has to go but I would not be getting rid of Robertson.

The hookers were a concern though - not sure what happened there. AB's seemed to know always their lineout calls...as picked it regularly.

Anyhow I will be watching next weeks game with interest and whilst I am not optimistic enough to predict a win I still believe we have a chance but of course knowing odds pretty low...but still a chance and that is enough for me.

Keep the faith I reckon as there are signs that things are not as bad as they seem.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
So I just rewatched all of our lineouts :(

Wallaby's usual setup is a 5 man lineout with props at the front and back and the three jumpers in the middle. They try and stay out of the line as long as they can and then the hooker throws as soon as the three jumpers walk-up. Poey and Hooper are usually in the backline or at times Pocock stands at half.

By my count, they lost all five 5 man lineouts.
They do a 4 man (drop one of thee props) and a 6 man variation (add in Hooper/Samu). We won 1/2 4 man (the win was actually an overthrow which missed the real target!) and 1/3 6 man.
The only full lineout was Simmo's first at 70 minutes hot on attack which we won easily as it wasn't competed against.

Again, by my count, Rettalick challenged at full height and out-jumped v Rodda once and Hooper once, the jumper knocked on once (Tui) when he should have secured, and the throw was badly under-thrown 5 times (at least twice I reckon Latu had the call completely wrong). Add in two wins, and one bad overthrow which we won accidentally to get the full list.

TPN 2/4 throws, Latu 1/7 throws

Rodda was the target 3 times (2&1), Coleman 3 times (0&3), Tui 3 times (0&3), Simmon 1 time (1&0) and Hooper 1 time (0&1)

May have missed a couple as I swear I remember Hooper going up twice but didn't see it on the second watch

Jerry West

Sydney Middleton (9)

Wallaby's usual setup is a 5 man lineout with props at the front and back and the three jumpers in the middle. They try and stay out of the line as long as they can and then the hooker throws as soon as the three jumpers walk-up. Poey and Hooper are usually in the backline or at times Pocock stands at half.

By my count, they lost all five 5 man lineouts.
They do a 4 man (drop one of thee props) and a 6 man variation (add in Hooper/Samu). We won 1/2 4 man (the win was actually an overthrow which missed the real target!) and 1/3 6 man.
The only full lineout was Simmo's first at 70 minutes hot on attack which we won easily as it wasn't competed against.

Again, by my count, Rettalick challenged at full height and out-jumped v Rodda once and Hooper once, the jumper knocked on once (Tui) when he should have secured, and the throw was badly under-thrown 5 times (at least twice I reckon Latu had the call completely wrong). Add in two wins, and one bad overthrow which we won accidentally to get the full list.

TPN 2/4 throws, Latu 1/7 throws

Rodda was the target 3 times (2&1), Coleman 3 times (0&3), Tui 3 times (0&3), Simmon 1 time (1&0) and Hooper 1 time (0&1)

May have missed a couple as I swear I remember Hooper going up twice but didn't see it on the second watch

How can you go into a test match and only run 1 7Man LO? It’s the few times in a game you can trap all the forward in one area of the field for your backs to attack. I would love to see how many 7 man LO NZ ran.

I should add I don't think anybody should be still deserting the Wallabies on that performance. As if somebody told me I could watch the first half I watched from the Wallabies and still with second half and the result would have paid for that every day of the week. If I had of watched two half's like the second half.then yes I doubt I would be inspired to watch another wallaby match short term. But if anything the first half makes me disappointed not another Sydney test for a while.just saying...

As somehow something really went wrong in second half as everything seemed to fall apart. Lots of factors to this but one which was quite telling imho was the lost of key quality on the bench as well as Ainsley vs Tupou and Robertson as bench vs Starter vs Sio starting. I mean Ainsley was struggling to be starting lock for the Rebels as regularly got toweled up against Super Rugby sides so stuffed if I know how he came into Wallaby contention. Don't get me wrong Ainsley young so has time on his side so will improve but he is not Test standard.at least yet..Same with Robertson who has come along way this season and probably shown not quite starting prop quality but certainly proved good bench prop coming on in second half. Ainsley has to go but I would not be getting rid of Robertson.

The hookers were a concern though - not sure what happened there. AB's seemed to know always their lineout calls.as picked it regularly.

Anyhow I will be watching next weeks game with interest and whilst I am not optimistic enough to predict a win I still believe we have a chance but of course knowing odds pretty low.but still a chance and that is enough for me.

Keep the faith I reckon as there are signs that things are not as bad as they seem.

There’s a reason why Ainsley was put on the bench for the Rebels towards the back end of the season. He may be young but is that how you reward mediocre performances throughout the Super Rugby season?

Coaches need to held accountable for poor selection & tactics.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Best we have by a long, long way

That’s a big call given we haven’t tried anyone else there for a very long time.
Beale wasn’t great in 2015 but that was before his resurgence.
The back line isn’t firing with Foley at 10 and his kicking remains a liability
RWC is next year.
We should at least try a plan B against the Argies or South Africa.
Locking in the incumbent when he’s lacking in the basic skilll set of a 10 is sheer lunacy.
At least give a plan B a go. If it doesn’t work what have we lost?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
192773-004-71245A89.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Probably doesn't help but I think the main thing was that NZ just seemed to have worked out the Wallaby calls and Wallabies had no idea how to adapt after that. With Retallick and co. so good in the air you can't afford a 50/50 contest because they'll beat you 9/10.

Can I ask, how many lineouts did you see where there was a call from a Wallaby which could have been worked out by Retallick et al? I didn't take note, but I would be extremely surprised if there was one. Lineouts these days are not "called" as a rule, but are passed on to the thrower by one of the props.

I really think there was something structural going amiss with the Wallabies lineout and the best guess I can make is that TPN had little familiarisation with the structure and it's intricate moves before being put on the hot seat. It looked to be extremely poor tactics from Cheika to play TPN without the benefit of taking his form into account before selecting him, just as the selections of Hooper and DHP straight back from injuries were poor tactics as well.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Can I ask, how many lineouts did you see where there was a call from a Wallaby which could have been worked out by Retallick et al? I didn't take note, but I would be extremely surprised if there was one. Lineouts these days are not "called" as a rule, but are passed on to the thrower by one of the props.

I really think there was something structural going amiss with the Wallabies lineout and the best guess I can make is that TPN had little familiarisation with the structure and it's intricate moves before being put on the hot seat. It looked to be extremely poor tactics from Cheika to play TPN without the benefit of taking his form into account before selecting him, just as the selections of Hooper and DHP straight back from injuries were poor tactics as well.
TPN only hd 3 lineouts, we won one, and tui dropped another.

Edit woops - add another in the second half

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That’s a big call given we haven’t tried anyone else there for a very long time.
Beale wasn’t great in 2015 but that was before his resurgence.
The back line isn’t firing with Foley at 10 and his kicking remains a liability
RWC is next year.
We should at least try a plan B against the Argies or South Africa.
Locking in the incumbent when he’s lacking in the basic skilll set of a 10 is sheer lunacy.
At least give a plan B a go. If it doesn’t work what have we lost?
Playing someone against the lesser sides isn't going prove much, they all look better, the shit happens when they play the best like the ABs

That is where the shit breaks down

On Foley ( or any other 10 in the world) run behind a pack losing most of their set pieces and they all look average.

Give him front foot ball and he does fine

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

Juan Cote

Syd Malcolm (24)
It’s actually a good thing that the line out was so poor as it’s giving us something to gnash our teeth about rather that the 40 tackles we missed.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
So who do we move to 15 with Izzy out?

KB (Kurtley Beale) with To'omua at 12?
DHP with Banks/Maddocks/Naivalu on the wing?
Banks/Maddocks a straight swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.