• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
Props: Bell, Slipper, Tupou, Lambert, Fa'amausili, Nonggorr, Schoupp
Hooker: Porecki, Uelese, Faessler
Lock: Skelton, Arnold, Frost, Philip,
Backrow: Leota, Valetini, M Hooper, T Hooper, Holloway, Gleeson, McReight
Halfback: McDermott, White, Lonergan
Fly half: Gordon, Cooper, Donaldson
Centre: Kerevi, Petaia, Ikitau, Foketi, Perese
Back three: Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway, Vunivalu, Pietsch

So there's four to drop out of there for the RWC squad. I'd be surprised if anyone else comes in.

I would say one prop for certain, one back three player (Vunivalu or Pietsch as Perese also covers wing), one backrower are the most likely cuts. The last player to miss out could be both another back three or another backrower. Both Pietsch and Vunivalu could get cut if Donaldson is your backup fullback. Otherwise do you risk only two options at 10 and drop Donaldson?

Based on that I would like to see;

Out

Lambert or Schoupp
Donaldson
Vunivalu
Pietsch
Gleeson (I actually think M Hooper won't make it due to injury)
Lonergan (go with 2 half backs so we can fit Hodge or Wright)

In

Samu
Hodge / Tom Wright

Wouldn't mind someone else in for Arnold as well

But yes, the above is what I want, not what I expect to happen. Then again if we get pumped by 50 this week there is more likelihood he will look outside the squad

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Do you really buy that? Players like Samu aren’t in because he’s a known entity? He’d literally be the only one if that’s the case.

Why would that not apply to someone like Porecki most of all to give Faesslar a run if that’s what Eddie is doing.

It appears guys like Samu, Gleeson, Hodge and Wright are cooked.

Yeh honestly it's a stretch, it's more likely they are gooooone.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Based on that I would like to see;

Out

Lambert or Schoupp
Donaldson
Vunivalu
Pietsch
Gleeson (I actually think M Hooper won't make it due to injury)
Lonergan (go with 2 half backs so we can fit Hodge or Wright)

In

Samu
Hodge / Tom Wright

Wouldn't mind someone else in for Arnold as well

But yes, the above is what I want, not what I expect to happen. Then again if we get pumped by 50 this week there is more likelihood he will look outside the squad

Why would you want Tom Wright back?

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Samu isn't in the squad currently so doesn't seem likely.

There are currently 37:

Props: Bell, Slipper, Tupou, Lambert, Fa'amausili, Nonggorr, Schoupp
Hooker: Porecki, Uelese, Faessler
Lock: Skelton, Arnold, Frost, Philip,
Backrow: Leota, Valetini, M Hooper, T Hooper, Holloway, Gleeson, McReight
Halfback: McDermott, White, Lonergan
Fly half: Gordon, Cooper, Donaldson
Centre: Kerevi, Petaia, Ikitau, Foketi, Perese
Back three: Koroibete, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway, Vunivalu, Pietsch

So there's four to drop out of there for the RWC squad. I'd be surprised if anyone else comes in.

I would say one prop for certain, one back three player (Vunivalu or Pietsch as Perese also covers wing), one backrower are the most likely cuts. The last player to miss out could be both another back three or another backrower. Both Pietsch and Vunivalu could get cut if Donaldson is your backup fullback. Otherwise do you risk only two options at 10 and drop Donaldson?
My RWC squad:

Props - Bell, Slipper, Schoupp, Top, Fa'amausili, Nonggorr
Hookers - Porecki, Uelese, Faesslar
Locks - Skelton, Frost, Phillip, Arnold/Neville
Backrowers - Leota, Gleeson, McReight, Valentini, Tom Hooper, Samu
Halfbacks - White, McDermott, Lonergan
Flyhalfs - Cooper, Gordon
Centres - Ikitau, Kerevi, Foketi, Perese
Outside Backs - Kellaway, Korobiete, Wright, Nawaqanitawase, Petaia

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I'd have him ahead of both Pietsch and Vunivalu as a winger, and despite his troubles ahead of Donaldson as a Fullback.

This...

Despite his mare against Argentina, he's still a better wing/fullback option than a few of those in the squad.

But Jones might now see Kellaway and Petaia as his fullbacks going forward.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
he's a decent winger, as he showed particularly in the England series last year and is better than Vunivalau and Peitsch, has also performed consistently well for the brumbies

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Yeh I agree he's better then Vuni and Peisch but I also think the outside back options are good enough to cover without him. I would take one less outside back.

You could even look at Marky Marc at fullback before considering Tom Wright there again.

You can look at Perese at 13 and then Kellaway or Petaia is on the wing/fullback.

Not sure how versatile Foketi is but I rate him as a 12. Last ditch effort would be the chuck him at 13 or wing. Or Perese on the wing again.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Is Falou Fainga injured? I thought he would be considered at Hooker. I feel like a player like him would benefit from the hard edge coaching from Eddie given most of his drawbacks were around discipline. He was always great around the park.

And the odd poor throw, but same for all the back-up Hookers we got.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd tend to agree aside from Gleeson, as he hasn't played and is still in the squad. Unlike the others. Possibly in the same boat as Fez.
Could be yes, just strange not to give R Lonergan, Faesslar and Gleeson a single minute. A guy like Phillip was used sparingly for seemingly this purpose.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Could be yes, just strange not to give R Lonergan, Faesslar and Gleeson a single minute. A guy like Phillip was used sparingly for seemingly this purpose.
could be a small chance for either HB own hooker he only plans on taking 2?

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
I feel like Vunivalu is going to the World Cup for one game in particular versus Portugal.

Eddie started him in South Africa. Took his test match soul in the process asking to step up at one of the worlds most hostile rugby ground.

Wouldn’t he have been dropped for the Bledisloe series.. why did he choose Suli over Wright? you think Eddie is still evaluating?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Who fucking knows, he's doing weird squad shit. What was the point of including Donaldson over Hodge too? What's the point of Gleeson being in the squad and not getting a run?

Why did Lambert and even Schoupp suddenly overtake Gibbon?

Why is Pietsch in the squad over Wright as well? Why haven't we see Lonergan or Faesslar. Maybe the journos should actually ask these questions instead of the dumbass ones they usually do.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
From the way Eddie was talking at the press conference, these last few weeks have made him drastically change his opinion on players he’s had in the squad. Tate might end up the full time captain